mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

nerve compression healing time?

just a quick question for any professionals out there in the fields of injury prevention and rehabilitation. can you spare me some time?

i've been diagnosed as having a trapped nerve, either C4-5, and/ or C5-6 on the right hand side of my neck - this has led to a reduction in strength and to 24 hour pains in the upper arm, and a numb thumb. i was exercising at the time, doing a tri-set for delts, comprising of
    i. seated dumbbell overhead press
    ii. seated dumbbell lateral raises
    iii. barbell, wide grip upright rows to the chest
    and i felt the injury following the final set of the upright rows. the physio i've been seeing noted a 30%less development in the right trapezius, meaning that the left has been leading the movement for quite a while, and, being more developed has caused a non-central lift and trapped the nerve.

i've been out of the gym for two weeks now, and i think i'll leave it another 7 days for the upper body, but will go back and train lower body (just light for now) and see how it goes.

my question to you guys is,

'any idea how long this weakness will continue, and, should i give it a full months rest?'

reps upon sensible answers - even if it means staying out of the gym a little longer than i'd like and states something i don't really want to hear...

m>
    Last edited by mwatg; 12-27-2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated...

m>

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    2 parts to this: firstly, the pressure must be relieved from the nerve. The physio shoud be able to tell you when this has been accomplished.

Once this has been accomplished, then it depends on how long the nerve has been compressed: it can take another 4-8 weeks to recover, perhaps longer considering that you developed numbness, which indicates strong compression of the nerve.

Function in the muscles can start returning to normal as the nerve recovers, but can lag another 4-8 weeks behind the nerve recovery.

Be be guided by the physio telling you when the nerve cmpression has ended, and then work gradually from there. Maintain a good balance and technique in the exercises to stop the problem recurring.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au