Kaspian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Working the posterior deltoid (and general shoulder work)...

What exercises are there that do a decent job of isolating this muscle? I've been doing the arm extensions where I'm on the incline bench with me facing it, but was wondering if there's anything else I could or should be doing to develop it properly. Is this enough to get results, or should I be doing more? Here's the rest of my exercises for my shoulder days for reference incase this muscle is being used secondarily for them.

- Seated Shoulder Press
    - Wide-grip upright rowing
    - Laterial Arm Raises
    - Medial Arm Raises
    - Posterior Arm Raises
    (I do shrugs on back days)

Also, is this too much for my shoulders? Am I over-training? Should I use the shoulder press or rowing as a warm-up instead of a heavy session instead?

Any help you can lend would be great.

D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000)
    bent lat raises. try standing up then bending over to a little above parallel. you'll find the position you like with time. then do lat raises. that kills the rear deltoid

here is my split i like it alot

bent, standing lat raises
    standng bb press
    seated lat raises
    and i am going to add front raises.
    then for traps bb shrugs supersetted with db shrugs

you could use db press instead on front raises, i can't do them because it hurts my shoulders. good exercise if you can do them

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Kaspian View Post
    - Laterial Arm Raises
    - Medial Arm Raises
    - Posterior Arm Raises
    I'm guessing the PAR are reverse flies, but what is the difference between lateral and medial arm raises? I've not heard the latter term much.

As for something not suggested, you mentioned you do upright rowing. If you do this while bent over (even 45 degrees is very helpful since it's difficult to get a full prone torso while standing holding a heavy weight) it targets the posterior deltoid even better, plus it means less extreme internal rotation required to keep the elbows pointing up which can feel impinging on some people's shoulders.

Bent-over lateral raises are great isolation but I like the bent wide-grip rowing as the core of the program since it makes form easier. With the straight-arm dumbbell raises you don't get the same sense of position with you elbow and its very easy to let the medial deltoid take over via external rotation.

Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wtf strong bump

awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The key to posterior delt isolation is keeping your humurus perpendicular to your body. Once your arm breaks 90 degrees with body, your lats take over. The closer to your body, the more lat involve. I have bad hamstring flexibility, and its hard to have body parallel to ground, so I prefer standing. Face Pulls work great. Put a pulley shoulder height and pull to face, keeping upper arms perpendicular to body.
    More into running, but their forums suck
    5K 19:29
    10K 41:59
    HM 1:33:20

Lifting and high mileage (accepting mediocrity in both)

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Bump from 2002 by someone from 2004. Strong WTF is strong.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    maybe he has been looking for the answer for 9 years.......lost, lonely, and inferior posterior deltoids.........
    More into running, but their forums suck
    5K 19:29
    10K 41:59
    HM 1:33:20

Lifting and high mileage (accepting mediocrity in both)