~~~~ Lover/Fighter ~~~~ dragon*princess's Avatar
    dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50)

oatmeal makes me sleepy and bloated

When I first started eating oatmeal on a regular basis I began realizing that it made me extremely bloated and sleepy immediately after eating. So, I switched over to eating malt-o-meal.

Just recently I decided to give the oatmeal another try. This time, I decided to blend it into my shake (thinking the small bits would be easier to digest).

Same results.

Within the hour I begin feeling sleeping and I'll be painfully bloated throughout the day (at least 2 extra inches around my waist from gas).

Is this normal?

QoD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe you have a slight intolerance.

My advice would be to try and stay away from it if this is the effect.

do you notice this with any other foods? If so, are they the same 'kind' of foods?

Intolerence is different to allergic, sometimes our bodies just have a harder time with some foods than others, no matter how good they are supposed to be for us.

I get bloated and depressed (seriously) on green veggies.

AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    carbs make me sleepy in general, esp pasta...so you might just get tired when you eat them anyway.

are you using instant oatmeal, 1-minute or whole oats?

if instant, then try one of the other two, it isn't as processed and shouldn't bloat you out as bad.

~~~~ Lover/Fighter ~~~~ dragon*princess's Avatar
    dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The only other food that I am intolerant of is lactose (milk products). So, instead of Whey I use 100% egg Protein and I don't have any problems.

Nothing else seems to bother me in the same manner as Oatmeal.

The only way to describe it is... "less than an hour (30-45 min) after eating it, I feel as though I took a sleeping pill. Sometimes it's extremely hard for me to stay awake and I'll just fall asleep.

The oats are whole and nothing else seems to do this to me.

AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50) AangleN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just don't eat oatmeal. There is no reason you NEED to eat specifically oatmeal. You can get your fiber and healthy fats from any other whole grain. So, just check the nutritional facts and go ahead. There are a lot of regular cereals that have great fiber and soy protein content in them, so you could try that.

Soy beans themselves (edamame) have really high fiber and a good amount of healthy fats.