Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Protein shake every 3 hours

I want to take a protein shake in the morning, 3 hours after that another one, one after my post workout, 3 hours after that and another after that, then the last one b4 I go to bed. Would this be okay and I don't care if I need to buy a lot of protein. I will be getting protein from other sources too.

OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100)
    Why not just eat food. It could be a bit harsh on your kidneys too.

CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50) CCCP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I ate lets say instead of the shakes BOCA burgers would that be okay.

I want at least 200 gram protein, and I am vegetarian.

jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jedibus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Preferably, you'd like some real food in between your shake meals or at least along with. Definitely shakes pre and post workout and before bed.
    I take shakes all throughout the day.

Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Best thing to do is switch between shakes and whole food:

EX:
    shake +carbs (morning)
    Whole food meal
    shake +carbs (post WO)
    Whole food meal
    Whole food meal
    Shake + carbs before bed

There's a 6 meal per day example.
    PharmD | IFBB Pro | ********.com/SwollenPharmD

Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by OMGitsMAX
    Tell that to David Gulledge

JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You need to set your alarm so you can wake up just to take your protein shake, yeah, thats what you need to do.

4 shakes a day is "optimal"

the reason I say this is because everybody is telling me to get more muslce like as in faster workout and intake around 200-250 grm protein. I weigh 175. Right now I am taking VPX CEX pills, Lipo 6 , multivitamins, and protein. I usually take a shake in the morning with cereal and a fruit. Before I eat bfast I take lipo and then go do 20 min cardio. then 3 hours later usually 2 fruits with shake. Then pre workout I take CEX. then after post I take CEX with shake. Then 3 hours after lipo6 with multivit. 3 hours after that My soy burger with vitamin again. Usually at night Ill eat like bunch of leafy greens, ANd then my last thing is a shake. I drink as much as water as I can. And for my cardio I do 20 min for 5 days. I am looking to get big and strong.

pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It could be a bit harsh on your kidneys too.
    ???????
    Please explain.......

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CCCP
    I want to take a protein shake in the morning, 3 hours after that another one, one after my post workout, 3 hours after that and another after that, then the last one b4 I go to bed. Would this be okay and I don't care if I need to buy a lot of protein. I will be getting protein from other sources too.
    I'm guessing these are all whey shakes right? (the dextrose of proteins)

Rather than Milk protein isolate? (the "oats" of proteins)

Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Phosphate bond
    I'm guessing these are all whey shakes right? (the dextrose of proteins)

Rather than Milk protein isolate? (the "oats" of proteins)
    I believe Lok7y said whey or casein it really doesn't matter in the end

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dosquito
    I believe Lok7y said whey or casein it really doesn't matter in the end
    Well that is a good question. Despite the amazing biologoical value of 104 on paper there is some evidence casein type proteins may work better in real world conditions.

Now give me an IV drip with whey protein (so I could spread out the rate of infusion) and maybe it would clearly be superior.
    Last edited by Phosphate bond; 11-12-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Well that is a good question. Despite the amazing biologoical value of 104 on paper there is some evidence casein type proteins may work better in real world conditions.

Now give me an IV drip with whey protein (so I could spread out the rate of infusion) and maybe it would clearly be superior.
    I think I read the study you're referring to. It seemed unrealistic. The guys in the whey group lost what? 10 pounds of fat, and gained 10 pounds of muscle? And the guys in the casein group lost like 15 pounds of fat and gained like 15 pounds of muscle. It just seems impossible IMO.

That last part just confused me, LOL.

Edit: I could definitely be wrong about this, more learning for me though, sucker

I think I read the study you're referring to. It seemed unrealistic. The guys in the whey group lost what? 10 pounds of fat, and gained 10 pounds of muscle? And the guys in the casein group lost like 15 pounds of fat and gained like 15 pounds of muscle. It just seems impossible IMO.
    No such study exists.

THere are some physiological reasons why short bursts of whey would yield lesser results and they have nothing to do with protein assimilation. (You have to look at more than one aspect of metabolism simultaneously)
    Last edited by Phosphate bond; 11-12-2005 at 09:01 PM.

After searching for a few minutes, I found this post by cakedonkey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...31&postcount=4

Phosphate Bond, I value your opinion a lot, and I'd be interested in knowing what you think, because MPI and WPI are practically the same price over at TP

After searching for a few minutes, I found this post by cakedonkey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...31&postcount=4

Yeah more research needs to be done on this. I think they are on to something though.

I could explain why I think that is happening, but it would just get too complicated. But like I said the reasons have nothing to do with protein assimilation (that's just a small part of it and doesn't explain the fat loss for example)

OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100) OMGitsMAX is not very well liked. (-100)
    You get kidney stones from too much protein consumed. This may not sound believable, but I know a guy who got them. Your body cant process hundreds of grams at once. Thats why I think so much is stupid, not to mention whey goes into your stream in like 40 minutes tops.

Food is better, whey isnt a food subsitute.

pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You get kidney stones from too much protein consumed. This may not sound believable, but I know a guy who got them. Your body cant process hundreds of grams at once. Thats why I think so much is stupid, not to mention whey goes into your stream in like 40 minutes tops.
    who said anything about a hundreds grams at once?
    How did they relate a "guy"s protein intake and a kidney stone? what type of stone was it?
    Calcium oxalate, uric acid, cystine, or struvite?

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
    "not to mention whey goes into your stream in like 40 minutes tops."
    - what is wrong with that?
    what the hell does that mean anyway?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne38.htm

A study examining bodybuilders with protein intakes of 2.8g/kg vs. well trained athletes with moderate protein intakes revealed no significant differences in kidney function between the groups.1 Additionally, a review of the scientific literature on protein intake and renal function concluded that "there is no reason to restrict protein in healthy individuals."

Furthermore, the review concluded that not only does a low protein intake not prevent the decline in renal function with age, it may actually be the major cause of the decline!
    Last edited by pharm; 11-13-2005 at 12:35 AM.

Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000)
    if you are gonna do so many shakes, may I recommend that you take in a lot more fiber than the 25g recommended amount..

Beans, Oats... stuff like that has a lot of fiber.. you'll feel better with large quantities of those

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    why don't you provide something to support this instead of tossing around nonesense

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

that's funny, I'm doing grad school work in protein metabolism and your body can process 100g just fine. You are confusing absorption with utilization.

Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000)

Talking

Originally Posted by str8flexed
    why don't you provide something to support this instead of tossing around nonesense

because you are asking for too much!

Originally Posted by str8flexed

hey, I already linked to one of your articles.
    This kid is a moron. He's 15. In another post he recommends smoking weed.

He's also giving supplement advice, talking about starting X-factor and looking in to Activate.
    He's also taken Lipo 6.
    Last edited by pharm; 11-13-2005 at 12:48 AM.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Read it:

Interview: Peter Lemon, Ph.D.
    The World's Primary Protein Assimilation Expert

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...4&postcount=13
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...0&postcount=14
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=15
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...3&postcount=16

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=337536
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OMG is definately confusing a high meat intake with a high whey protein intake... and that's just the beginning..
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

This is something separate to what I was mentioning earlier, but I almost think protein is better thought about in terms of % of calories.

There are days I burn 6000 calories (weightlifting plus ride my bike, etc). Now am I going to stick to the same fixed protein intake principle based on grams/kg of body weight in this situation? No way because it's going to be way higher.

See that's where I think the flaw is in these formulas and trying to apply them to various training schedules. Volume (training) will also dicate how much protein happens to end up getting oxidized as fuel and you need to accomodate for that.
    Last edited by Phosphate bond; 11-13-2005 at 02:22 AM.

Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dimitar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by CCCP
    I take a whey shake before every solid meal, in addition to the whey/oats/pb shakes I take and the pre/post-workout shakes. This is the only way to get 450g of protein daily, by the way, and I am 180lb.

Originally Posted by Dimitar
    I take a whey shake before every solid meal, in addition to the whey/oats/pb shakes I take and the pre/post-workout shakes. This is the only way to get 450g of protein daily, by the way, and I am 180lb.
    2.5 grams of protein per pound? .................

This is something separate to what I was mentioning earlier, but I almost think protein is better thought about in terms of % of calories.

There are days I burn 6000 calories (weightlifting plus ride my bike, etc). Now am I going to stick to the same fixed protein intake principle based on grams/kg of body weight in this situation? No way because it's going to be way higher.

See that's where I think the flaw is in these formulas and trying to apply them to various training schedules. Volume (training) will also dicate how much protein happens to end up getting oxidized as fuel and you need to accomodate for that.
    well not nessecarily, this is true to a degree but those formulas (1.8g/kg, 2.2g/kg) are for very active people. Additionally, what people don't realize is the amino acids you liberate during exercise from proteolysis aren't loss, they are available to be reincooperated into muscle protein via protein synthesis