VHD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Full Body Workout 2 sets only?

Hey guys. I've been reading around. I was just wandering if it's possible to make great gains from doing only 2 sets and a full body workout 3 times a week.

The reps will vary due to weight. 2 sets of around 12 reps, but I might not be able to get 12 reps, maybe 8 or 10, but once I can reach 12 reps on both sets I up the weight next workout. Say first set is 10 reps, rest around 60 seconds then maybe I'll get 8 reps on the 2nd set, but I keep at this weight until I can reach 12 reps on both sets. Can this work?

Focus on compound lifts, and some iso for little things.

Squats
    Bench Press
    Dead-lifts
    Rows
    Military
    Curls
    Close grip bench

I'll also add in Pull-ups and Dips 3 times a week as well.

Or is this not enough stimulation for building muscle? Need the help from the pros on this one..

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes, a routine like this could work. Why? Glad you asked. Fequency(for our application the # of times you train a muscle per week) has a lot to do with volume(reps x sets)and intensity. You can train a muscle mutiple times a week and grow, granted you don't consistently train to failure on each set and your volume is relatively low for each workout. That way you can recover faster and train a muscle again sooner.

So lets say you train chest 1x a week and do 6 sets. With your routine, you are still doing 6 sets for chest, but you are spreading out the volume over the week.

Having said all this, I would make a few changes to your routine. Try this...

-squats/deadlifts*
    -stiff-legged deadlifts/lunges*
    (everything else looks good its just the order that you do each lift that matters)
    -bench press
    -rows
    -military press
    -pullups or chins
    -dips or cg-bench
    -curls

*workout 1 do squats and SLDLs, workout 2 do deadlifts and lunges, workout 3 repeat
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

Trained by Apollo Creed JoeShmoe's Avatar
    JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    From my own experience, if you're a hardgainer and have a poor recovery rate, you may be better off doing your full-body routine only twice per week.

Thanks alot RipStone and JoeSchmoe. And dong only 2 sets can keep me out of the gym and not spend to much time in there, I want a life as well lol. But I also want to make gains and change my body just like everybody else.

And after awhile if my strength starts going down, I'll know my body needs more rest. So I'll change it to only 2 times a week Mon/Thurs type routine.

I was just wandering how come most people don't train like this, I mean if it does produce results? I mean alot of people do volume or what not, but how come they don't just do 2 sets/full body and your workout can be done in like 30 mins? Cause isn't growing about resting, and trying to lift more weight than the last, getting stronger, doesn't that mean bigger muscles?

Trying to get alot of information about this.

mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrdiaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why only 2 sets? why not 3?

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by VHD
    I was just wandering how come most people don't train like this, I mean if it does produce results? I mean alot of people do volume or what not, but how come they don't just do 2 sets/full body and your workout can be done in like 30 mins? Cause isn't growing about resting, and trying to lift more weight than the last, getting stronger, doesn't that mean bigger muscles?

Trying to get alot of information about this.
    Cus a lot of lifters don't understand how frequency has a lot to do with volume and intensity. You can train a muscle mutiple times a week and grow, granted you don't consistently train to failure on each set and your volume is relatively low for each workout. That way you can recover faster and train a muscle again sooner.

I think a lot of people think if you train a muscle 1x a week its a gonna yeild results cus a lot of pro BBers hammer the crap out of a muscle group just 1x a week. Pros can get away with a really high volume routine cus thet are using gear (which makes their recovery bette)r and they are genetically gifted and probabaly can handle it anyways(but the gear helps no doubt). Emulate the pros right, cus they are huge...thats what a lot of people think at least IMO.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

Thanks alot RipStone you seem to know alot, I'm glad you agree with my training program.

And to the other poster why not do 3 sets? Why do 3 when you can just do 2 sets and be done faster, alot of times 1 set can produce the same as doing 3-4 sets, depends how much intensity you're doing..

That is true what you were saying RipStone about hammering that body-part 1 day with say 6 sets, but I'm doing 6 sets just spread out over the week.

I got this type training from Don Lemmon..if you know who he is RipStone, except he advocates 1 set till total failure and using the 4 seconds method, 4 seconds up, 4 seconds down.

StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StefanDozier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Those workouts will deff work, your strength will go up like crazy, Don Lemmon is the man, you should go to his messge board and chat.

not that there is anything wrong with this one.
    http://soundcloud.com/doctadoz