jflurett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I supposed to be sore 2 days after each 5x5 full body lift day?

I don't feel sore from the prior full body lift session on my next session. Is that normal?

When I was big into lifting before I did a sort of pyramid style. The next time I lifted that area I was still sore. I guess I was expecting to feel the same way as that's all I've ever known.

So should I? Just want to make sure I'm making progress and not killing time.

Yes, I believe I'm using the correct amount of weight as on my last set I usually only get 3 reps, have to lower the weight a little and do a couple extra.

CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CupraZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Muscle soreness isnt a great inducator for hypertrophy, so yes you can grow while you dont have muscle soreness.
    Everytime you try something new, use more intensety, volume, weight etc you get sore again. After your body get used to the work the soreness will dissapear.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jflurett View Post
    I don't feel sore from the prior full body lift session on my next session. Is that normal?
    Yes, that's fine.

Keep in mind, 5x5 is more a strength than BBing program, so you won't feel local soreness as often as when you do direct isolation work.

I had to rehab from a spine surgery several years ago and made it a goal to train without risking further injury...I was basically bodybuilding but made sure I NEVER got sore. I regained 20+ lbs of muscle and dropped ~12% BF in a year and never felt sore once.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm rarely sore on Starr's program, even when pushing for new maxes week after week. The lighter sets when ramping weights helps to warm you up for your top lift. Now, if you did all 5 sets with the same weight, it might be a different story.
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143074093&page=10

"...any statement, whether made by a scientist or not, should be open to logical analysis. Immense prestige and authority does not compensate for faulty logic." John Lennox

http://www.bullseyefitness.net

MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah, thats one of the things i like about the 5x5 program, you're consistently moving heavier weights, but hardly ever get sore due to the low volume per bodypart. its nice being able to increase your max squatting weights every week and be able to walk normally the following 3 days. as mentioned earlier, more soreness doesnt equal a better workout.
    -MATT

[QUOTE=Wes06]
    it's cool that protein builds muscle... but I would say it's cooler that it gives you wicked nice farts. [/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by jdjprimer19 View Post
    I'm rarely sore on Starr's program, even when pushing for new maxes week after week. The lighter sets when ramping weights helps to warm you up for your top lift. Now, if you did all 5 sets with the same weight, it might be a different story.
    I do, do the same weight for all 5 sets. Save for the last one as I mentioned.

And to Matt, I'm never locationally sore, I'm more just... exhausted. All over full body tired.

You mentioned it's good for increasing strength. Is there a different program I should consider if I'm more concerned with increasing size a bit and cutting?

Thanks for the help so far.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do, do the same weight for all 5 sets. Save for the last one as I mentioned.

And to Matt, I'm never locationally sore, I'm more just... exhausted. All over full body tired.

You mentioned it's good for increasing strength. Is there a different program I should consider if I'm more concerned with increasing size a bit and cutting?

Thanks for the help so far.
    He's ramping the weight...you're doing sets across. Yours is a harder method. Try ramping...may be good enough for you.

If you want to body build, you would work with weights that allow 3-5 sets with reps in the 8-12 range and less rest between sets. You would also do more isolation work.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    He's ramping the weight...you're doing sets across. Yours is a harder method. Try ramping...may be good enough for you.

If you want to body build, you would work with weights that allow 3-5 sets with reps in the 8-12 range and less rest between sets. You would also do more isolation work.
    I guess I wouldn't go so far as to say I want to BB. Actually... I don't want to be the massive Hulk look. I'd prefer a RB/WR or Sprinter/hurdler body.

jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I guess I wouldn't go so far as to say I want to BB. Actually... I don't want to be the massive Hulk look. I'd prefer a RB/WR or Sprinter/hurdler body.
    Getting those bodies would require some isolation work.
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143074093&page=10

"...any statement, whether made by a scientist or not, should be open to logical analysis. Immense prestige and authority does not compensate for faulty logic." John Lennox

http://www.bullseyefitness.net