jnw86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

proper program for my profession?

I've recently gotten serious about fitness since I started a profession that requires me to stay fit. I am currently a correctional officer, but I plan to go SWAT or highway patrol in a couple of years. This requires regular fitness tests of 1 1/2 mile runs, push ups, sit ups, etc... I'd also like to get back to a lean muscular build while having usable strength and a little mass in my chest, arms and back. I currently work 12hr midnight shifts every sun, mon, tues, and every other saturday. My schedule basically leaves me weds, thurs, fri to lift and 20-30 mins of cardio on the days that I don't lift. I do chest, tris, and shoulders on weds, legs on thurs, and back, bis, and abs on fridays. Usually three lifts per muscle group in either 5x5 or 3x8 sets. I'm still trying to get the nutrition down, but I'm not eating bad right now. I take fish oils, flax seed, glutamine, megamen sport vitamins, and lipo 6. I eat 2200-2500 high protein calories a day including one whey shake on the days I work and two on the days I lift. I've lost 9lbs in 3 weeks and gained approximately 2lbs of lean mass in that time. Is this a proper workout plan for usuable strength and endurance or should I cut back to fewer lifts per body part and add reps?

randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) randombrandon is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I hate swat only because they won't leave the marijuana alone!!!!!!! go after killers and coke heads... you'll never rid marijuana IT WON"T GO AWAY!

But anyways learn to run... fast... speed is good for a swat member....

But i seen this one video where there braking into a coke heads house n there was like 12 swats at the door I coulda threw 2 nades n they woulda all been byebye..

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    food for thought...can't find the thread, here's the text:

Detective Workout
    On my off hours, I've been tagging along with one of the detectives I gotten to know from work (for experience). He and his team are a group of 6, and their job is to execute warrants all night long. Now this guy is only about 5'10 maybe 175 lbs, but I've seen him him action and he is very powerful. I got to talking with him about his workout routine, he wrote it down, it goes as follows:

MONDAY
    chest/tri

Bench Press: 4 sets of 3
    Dumbbell Press: 8 sets of 15
    Push-Ups: 3 sets to failiure

Close Grip Bench: 4 sets of 5
    Dips: 8 set of 15

Abs

WEDNESDAY
    Back/bi

Bent Over Rows: 4 sets of 3
    Cable Rows: 8 sets of 15
    Pull-Ups: 3 sets to failure

Barbell Curls: 4 sets of 6
    Incline Curls: 3 sets of 12

FRIDAY
    shoulders/legs

Military Press: 4 sets of 5
    Arnold Press: 5 sets of 15

Squats: 4 sets of 3
    Deadlift: 2 sets of 5
    Hindu Squats: 1 set to failure

Abs

He runs 5 miles on Tuesday and Saturday

He is 46 years old, very fast, and very strong.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ....also look at www.crossfit.com for your conditioning. Many public protection agencies use crossfit with amazing results.

Kneestrike31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by randombrandon View Post
    I hate swat only because they won't leave the marijuana alone!!!!!!! go after killers and coke heads... you'll never rid marijuana IT WON"T GO AWAY!

But anyways learn to run... fast... speed is good for a swat member....

But i seen this one video where there braking into a coke heads house n there was like 12 swats at the door I coulda threw 2 nades n they woulda all been byebye..
    You sir are a retard.

jnw86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The stuff from crossfit does look pretty intense. I think if I stick to basics for awhile then switch to that I might see some great benefits. Thanks for the link.

"I coulda threw 2 nades n they woulda all been byebye"....... glad you always have "nades" handy to use.

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    food for thought...can't find the thread, here's the text:

Detective Workout
    On my off hours, I've been tagging along with one of the detectives I gotten to know from work (for experience). He and his team are a group of 6, and their job is to execute warrants all night long. Now this guy is only about 5'10 maybe 175 lbs, but I've seen him him action and he is very powerful. I got to talking with him about his workout routine, he wrote it down, it goes as follows:

MONDAY
    chest/tri

Bench Press: 4 sets of 3
    Dumbbell Press: 8 sets of 15
    Push-Ups: 3 sets to failiure

Close Grip Bench: 4 sets of 5
    Dips: 8 set of 15

Abs

WEDNESDAY
    Back/bi

Bent Over Rows: 4 sets of 3
    Cable Rows: 8 sets of 15
    Pull-Ups: 3 sets to failure

Barbell Curls: 4 sets of 6
    Incline Curls: 3 sets of 12

FRIDAY
    shoulders/legs

Military Press: 4 sets of 5
    Arnold Press: 5 sets of 15

Squats: 4 sets of 3
    Deadlift: 2 sets of 5
    Hindu Squats: 1 set to failure

Abs

He runs 5 miles on Tuesday and Saturday

He is 46 years old, very fast, and very strong.
    That sir is a great set up. The OP should also consider GPP work with odd objects, to work the unpredictable side of the job (sort of like firefighters).

I hope you don't mind that I've copied and pasted the above into my "samples of good planning" file.
    Last edited by tonester; 12-24-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tonester View Post
    That sir is a great set up. The OP should also consider GPP work with odd objects, to work the unpredictable side of the job (sort of like firefighters).

I hope you don't mind that I've copied and pasted the above into my "samples of good planning" file.
    No problem..it's not mine anyway, but I like it so much as a future program to try I did the same thing.

The original post was by "Mr. Pink" in a thread called "Detective Workout"
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com