The accidental bulker : ( Bodysteele's Avatar
    Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000)

Front Squat vs. Back squat (poundage ratio)

Ok, well I understand this is going to vary ALOT between people bc the exercises stress different parts of the body to some extent but I was just curious as to what some GENERAL ratios/coefficients people see in WORKING weights(a weight at which you can rep say 6-8 reps with excellent technique) of the two lifts.

For instance if you can work with 275 lbs on the FS and 380lbs on the back squat I guess the coefficient would be .72 or something between the two.

Im asking bc I havent performed a back squat for awhile now other than some really light work...and im wondering generally where I would be with a ~225lbs front squat for 6-8 reps.

When I last tested after first doing back squats for a few months I worked up to 260lbs for 5 reps(~3 months ago)...but I think I had some more in me. The other day I was doing(that is performing front squats) @ 220lbs for 6-7 reps and decent rep speed and the guy who was watching me and who is fairly knowledgeable when asked thought I could work with 3 plates for 5s on backsquats based on my Front squats which I thought was OVERLY optimistic.

Now im just confused but I dont have a day set aside for testing......

Worse comes to worse I guess ill start at 260lbs for 5's....I couldnt have actually gotten weaker in the backsquat while front squatting could I have>?

I mean im still basically a beginner so im assuming that isnt the case.

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    unless you regularly train both your coefficient is gonna be way off due to an uncoordinated CNS and lack of practice in the lifts.

I did front squats with 225 today and felt really really off balance and just generally weak...but my back squat for a working set is like 385 right now....

I haven't done much front squatting b/c it puts too much stress on my knees, they just don't like going forward anymore, so my front squat is waaaay down. my best ever working set of front squats was 8sets of 5reps @315. I just don't train it much since I got hurt so it went bye bye.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Waaayyy too many variables to give any meaningful numbers.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm about 345/465 for my last tested raw 1RMs

Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Waaayyy too many variables to give any meaningful numbers.
    You probably right....I was just curious to see generally where people were at one compared to the other.

Ill probably just start where I maxed out at 3 months ago...better to start too conservative than too aggressively on a linear program IMHO.\

p.s. Damn Isaku thats alot of weight/volume on front squats.....thats impressive sorry about the injury though.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    olympic lifters usually have about a front squat that's 80% of their back squat, but then again they train the front squat alot more, I'm about there, 245 x 1 front squat and 305 x 1 back squat, I also think it has to do with your form in either lift, if you do wide stance back squat PL style but do oly front squats you're going to have a lot more descrepency than if you were doing both oly style.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    olympic lifters usually have about a front squat that's 80% of their back squat, but then again they train the front squat alot more, I'm about there, 245 x 1 front squat and 305 x 1 back squat, I also think it has to do with your form in either lift, if you do wide stance back squat PL style but do oly front squats you're going to have a lot more descrepency than if you were doing both oly style.
    Yeah, im like a wannabee Olympic lifter with my squats sometimes...but sometimes I widen to an athletic stance just outside shoulder width.

I think alot of the difference between the two lifts would also be caused by a tendancy or lack thereof in forward lean in the back squat....if someone in coming way forward in the Bsquat they are going to have to more dramatically lessen the load in Fsquatting USUALLY.

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Bodysteele View Post
    You probably right....I was just curious to see generally where people were at one compared to the other.

Ill probably just start where I maxed out at 3 months ago...better to start too conservative than too aggressively on a linear program IMHO.\

p.s. Damn Isaku thats alot of weight/volume on front squats.....thats impressive sorry about the injury though.
    I used to only do OLY lifting. Pretty much exclusively. Hence the good front squat.

3 partial lateral menisectomies in the last two years have reduced my clean to about 235, and my snatch down to like 205, and my front squat to what I said. No fun

Registered User JustinStephan89's Avatar
    JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Front squat - 235x2 with a clean grip

back squat - 350x1 , 335x2
    Powerlifting

ATG S - 370 - 335 x 4
    Bench- 280 - 255 x 3
    Deadlift-460 - 402 x 6
    Total - 1110

Olympic lifting

front squat - 257
    Clean - 242
    squat + Behind the neck jerk - 222
    C + J - 210

cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've never maxxed out either, especially in competition with each other, but today I worked up to an easy 365x2 back squat and a 245 EDIT: POUNDSx5 front squat. I could have done more front squats, and I could have done 10-15 more on the back squat, but I was finished.

I front squat with a clean grip and with a stance as wide as my back squats, so I really don't know.
    Last edited by cjhannsz; 12-22-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cjhannsz View Post
    I've never maxxed out either, especially in competition with each other, but today I worked up to an easy 365x2 back squat and a 245kgx5 front squat. I could have done more front squats, and I could have done 10-15 more on the back squat, but I was finished.

I front squat with a clean grip and with a stance as wide as my back squats, so I really don't know.
    Please get your story straight.

Lol....the "place" should read "Iran" instead of "Iraq" bc that must be Hossein or something repping out 245KG front squats.

That or Ronnie Weller vacationing in Baghdad doing some pleasure lifting.

245KGs whats that like 530-540lbs...

cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjhannsz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Blah!

Weights in our "gym", lifting area, are in KG. I initially had the weight in KG but thought about how lazy I was being and changed it over to lbs without dropping the KG =)

kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    didn't know about that, good point goju. i will start doing wide stance front squats. my max olympic stance front squat is 300, maybe a lot more now haven't maxed in two months
    "w2hen i say im built for this **** i mean it."

Mr_Angry

U Mad Cuz I Stylin'

theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000) theduffman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by isaku900 View Post
    unless you regularly train both your coefficient is gonna be way off due to an uncoordinated CNS and lack of practice in the lifts.

I did front squats with 225 today and felt really really off balance and just generally weak...but my back squat for a working set is like 385 right now....

I haven't done much front squatting b/c it puts too much stress on my knees, they just don't like going forward anymore, so my front squat is waaaay down. my best ever working set of front squats was 8sets of 5reps @315. I just don't train it much since I got hurt so it went bye bye.
    yea balance and CNS fo sho. I can get 405 for 2 on backsquat but I can't even do 225 for 1 front I'm just uncoordinated as ****

trupowwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trupowwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trupowwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trupowwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trupowwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trupowwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trupowwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    personally

in my leg work out the other day i did
    4 singles with 95% of my estimated max which was 375. i guessed my max at about 405. put on my belt and did a set of 5 with 375. so 5 sets total

then did front squats
    225x8
    245x6
    275x3
    275x3
    then did 315 for a single all without a belt. i'd say my absolute max on front squats isnt more then 10 lbs heavier since 315 was a good hard rep

muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000)
    My best squat with gear is 600

I never do Front Squats much, but I have done close to 200
    Best lifts
    615sq/450bp/500dl Multi ply
    550sq/400bp/510dl Single ply
    425sq/305bp/485dl Raw

one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) one2growon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think 80% is about right. I usually lift 275x5x3 and yesterday did front squats for the first time 185x8x2 without strength probs, only a bit awkward and uncomfortable on the wrists. I think after I get used to lift 225 will be about right and thats close to 80%. I'm not powerlifter(obvious) but I like the lift, my core was a bit sore.

Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Big_fuzzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I was just about to make the same thread BS.

Im going for a 330 front squat today, I doubled 401 for back squats testerday so in thery should be putting up 330-352 ish.

Now hat I have a deep raw 400 pound squat time to focus on a 350+ front squat.

Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's all about balance and form. Barbell is in such an awkward position for front squat, it's hard just to stay upright. I can front squat 260, but can only back squat 315. Guess I'm just flexible.
    PR's:
    Bench: 300 lbs
    Back Squat: 380 lbs
    Clean and Jerk: 130 kg (286 lbs)
    Snatch: 100 kg (220 lbs)
    Deadlift: 5 x 345 lbs

not to jak the thread, but woo hoo

after a 5x5 @ 390 back squat workout, I did a 3x3 front squat; 1st set at 275, 2nd set at 295, 3rd set at 315...

getting it back....

my newly acquired knee sleeves are really helping too; able to give me the lateral stability in my knee that I need what with my surgeries, but they aren't like using wraps.

ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think the difference weight lifted is do to your back simply has bigger muscles to support alot more weight.
    But, it depends on what your going for as Front Squats will help you with deadlifts and benchs because the lift static trains your shoulders and lower back(in the lumbar region of the spine)

Originally Posted by ThomasAnthony View Post
    I think the difference weight lifted is do to your back simply has bigger muscles to support alot more weight.
    But, it depends on what your going for as Front Squats will help you with deadlifts and benchs because the lift static trains your shoulders and lower back(in the lumbar region of the spine)
    The front squat also depends on the muscles of the back to support the weight.

The differences in weight used is due to both the mechanical disadvantage of the longer lever arm created by having the bar in the front of the body as opposed to one the back and the switch in emphasis of which muscle groups are called into play as a result of the differing back angle.