Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower back hernia, what exercises can I do?

Hi guys,

I'm 24 years old, and this past weekend, Saturday I was dead lifting and I felt something give in my lower back, almost like a tore or a slip... something I've never felt before with immediate pain.

Anyway's I ended up going at the doctors the next morning because I had hard time walking, even now 3 days later it still hurts but its not has bad.
    I went to the doctors not as much because of the pain but because I was worried that I tore something in my back, but the doctor pretty much just told me to lay off the weights for a few weeks or until it heals, but she didn't really tell me what part of my back I ended up tearing or hurting.

She says it could be a back hernia but I had to ask her if a hernia was a possibility... and she said yes. She said the only way to find out would be with a cat scan and that my back problems are not at the point of needed a cat scan or even back surgery at this point. She told me if my back pains percisted for more then 1 week I could go to physio therap.

Sorry about the long post I just wanted to give a bit of history.

I'm also presently doing a SD cycle and I almost decided to stop but decided to continue anyway's, I figured that the SD might actually speed up the healing process if I have a torn muscle but maybe not as much if I have a torn ligament or a disk hernia.

I'm not sure "when or if" I should do squats, my back doesn't hurt when I put myself in a squat position, but this is without weight ??

I'm looking for those of you with lower back problems to help me out on deciding how to work out from here on... and how I should proceed.

Thanks for the help
    Body builders are not made in the gym, they are made in the kitchen.

Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For now, do not squat and DO NOT do deads. Let the injury heal, whatever it may be. If you do more serious injury to your back, you may be laid up in bed unable to function as opposed to just in pain. What you're describing SOUNDS like a bad pull or muscle tear that will heal itself in time.

Just remember, your lower back IS part of your core and will have an impact on all back, chest, leg and ab workouts you do. Watch it carefully and listen to your body. At the first sign of trouble, drop the weights.

Good luck with your recovery!

And in summary: right now, do NOTHING for your lower back until it heals. Once the pain is gone COMPLETELY, start with lower back extensions, nothing else.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE SMALL

"tofurkey? tof*ck yourself" ~ W8

Check out my journal (currently on hold): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=7096271

Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the reply,

I know my lower back is part of my core and important in general for a lot of exercises... that's why I'm really worried. I'm not worried as much for recuperating, I know I'll be bending over in a bit of time, the part that's got me worried is "will I or should I" start lifting and doing dead lifts again once I'm recuperated?

I'm hoping its not a hernia and that its just a pulled muscle, because I know you can re-injure yourself a lot easier after having a hernia's, its basically a crushed cartilage disk between the spinal column disks and I know that Cartilage doesn't heal or doesn't heal very well.

The worst is that I was wearing a belt and it was a weight I've lifted many times before, 285lbs. I honestly never though I could hurt myself like this.

My doctor said if I'm a lot better within 1 week, I'm not going to need physio, but if it still hurts a lot I should go for physio, she said that 90% of people are a lot better within 6 weeks of back injuries.

I'm starting to wonder if I should do any dead lifts after all of this ?? I did them to build mass, but I'm already 215 lbs 5,11 at 16-17% body fat.. 17inch arms... so I'm not a small guy, maybe I can just stick with shrugs and other exercises ??

I really wish I knew what I hurt in my back, muscle? disk? tendon? ... all I know is that I felt something let go, but as soon as I felt it I let the weight fall down.

As any one here suffered from a lower back hernia? or back injury? did you keep dead lift as part of your trainning reuteen? what about squats?

image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I suffered from a back injury for quite awhile. It was just a pulled muscle (I think), lower right side of my back. I could not do squats or deadlifts, nor really anything that placed even indirect weight on my lower back. It took a long time to heal, mainly because I did not allow it to. I kept trying to do deadlifts, heavy shrugs, and squats. Finally, I gave it a couple weaks to heal up (completely left it alone), and now i'm doing very well. Just deadlifted 3x275 this morning. It's not much (yet), but it's better than the 0 I was doing for months.

My back injury is in the same location, lower right hurts more then the lower left.

I'm just curious... did you feel your back let go when you hurt yourself? what exercise were you doing? or did you notice the injury the next day?

dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000)
    i had the same kind of injury while doing stifflegged deads. all i felt was a pop. I went to the doc and the sent me to phyical therapy however i never went back and i continued working out except for doing deads. the pain went away after 2 months and i was doing back. i did deadlifts with no problems however at the end of my workout i was doing bent over barbell rows and it popped again but this time the pain was worse and i still have it. I think i have a herniated disc that is pressing against a nerve which is where the pain comes from. Its more like a throbbing pain down the leg and my toes get numb often.

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dasixthsun
    i had the same kind of injury while doing stifflegged deads. all i felt was a pop. I went to the doc and the sent me to phyical therapy however i never went back and i continued working out except for doing deads. the pain went away after 2 months and i was doing back. i did deadlifts with no problems however at the end of my workout i was doing bent over barbell rows and it popped again but this time the pain was worse and i still have it. I think i have a herniated disc that is pressing against a nerve which is where the pain comes from. Its more like a throbbing pain down the leg and my toes get numb often.
    I'm no doctor, but the symptoms you just described sound a lot like sciatica.

-Shruggin

From the reading I've done you definitely have a herniated disk.... I know the symptom's of having numb toes and legs is one of them.

I guess it will take me a while to get back into shape, I'll probably do dead lifts again but not with much weights, I'll do them just to keep my back in shape, I actually hurt my lower back once with those dumbbell rows, but it was just a muscle strain not as bad as this time.

image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I actually hurt my back at work, doing manual labor. I tried to pick a 50 lb bag of feed off the foor and it got caught on the pallet, and I felt something pull. Felt it right away, and it stayed.

blackhatfit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Thestef View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm 24 years old, and this past weekend, Saturday I was dead lifting and I felt something give in my lower back, almost like a tore or a slip... something I've never felt before with immediate pain.

Anyway's I ended up going at the doctors the next morning because I had hard time walking, even now 3 days later it still hurts but its not has bad.
    I went to the doctors not as much because of the pain but because I was worried that I tore something in my back, but the doctor pretty much just told me to lay off the weights for a few weeks or until it heals, but she didn't really tell me what part of my back I ended up tearing or hurting.

She says it could be a back hernia but I had to ask her if a hernia was a possibility... and she said yes. She said the only way to find out would be with a cat scan and that my back problems are not at the point of needed a cat scan or even back surgery at this point. She told me if my back pains percisted for more then 1 week I could go to physio therap.

Sorry about the long post I just wanted to give a bit of history.

I'm also presently doing a SD cycle and I almost decided to stop but decided to continue anyway's, I figured that the SD might actually speed up the healing process if I have a torn muscle but maybe not as much if I have a torn ligament or a disk hernia.

I'm not sure "when or if" I should do squats, my back doesn't hurt when I put myself in a squat position, but this is without weight ??

I'm looking for those of you with lower back problems to help me out on deciding how to work out from here on... and how I should proceed.

Thanks for the help
    I'm no doctor but planks and side planks will speed up the recovery process. Aim for 2min+ plank holds, and 1min side plank holds. If you're able to do different types of plank holds consistently (for long periods of time), I guarantee that your core and lower back will be a lot stronger.

I hope this helps.