Normann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

another what do ya' think of my program...

Hi,

I am another newDudley to the training and have this program set up myself, trying to follow what I have read here and seen in the gym.

Before you take a look at it some explanation: My upper body is very week but my legs are relatively well built because I was cycling for a few years pretty intensively, thus for now I don't really touch the leg exercises apart some light squats. But without the legs I would only have 2 day to exercise if I would train one body part once a week, so I decided to train each body part 2 times but less extensively. Thus basically I have split up a 2 day routine into 3. Until I will see some results (which I already do after 2+ months ) and my upper body will catch up with the legs I plan on keeping it this way or a similar way (adjusted by your comments) as only going twice to the gym kind of sucks and it would not be enough cardio that way.

Finally I am 29, 5'11" and 175 pounds and my goal is to lose some fat (I am not really fat apart of a small belly) gain some muscle and once I have that, than later also gain strength, but I don't really want to become a "house" rather I would like to see a good healthy amount of muscles with tone and achieve general fitness.

Alright so here it is what I am doing so far:

Every workout starts with 15 min cycling and ends with 1.5 mile 7.5 mph on the treadmill (still working on this and I am planning on moving the distance slowly up to 3 miles with elevation and add 2 cardio days once I have a treadmill at home).

Tuesday:

Triceps:
    barbell triceps extension 4x8/70
    close grip bench press 4x8/140
    pushdown 4x8/100

Biceps:
    barbell preacher curls 4x8/50
    barbell curls 4x8/50
    hammer curls 4x8/20

Back:
    hyperextension 4x15

Abs:
    sit up 4x30
    lean forwards 4x15/110 (kind of a sit up machine)

Legs:
    squats 4x8/80

Thursday:

Shoulders:
    upright row 4x8/90
    overhead barbell press 4x8/90
    dumbbell side raise 4x8/20

Chest:
    incline bench press 4x8/80
    bench press 4x8/150

Triceps:
    barbell triceps extension 4x8/50
    pushdown 4x8/90

Back:
    pulls 4x8/100 (again I have no clue about the correct name, you are seated and horizontally pull the machine toward you)
    dumbbell row 4x8/35
    hyperextension 4x15
    lateral pull downs 4x8/120 (like simulated chin ups but I don’t know the correct name)

Sunday:

Shoulder:
    upright row 4x8/90
    overhead barbell press 4x8/90
    front lateral raise 4x8/20

Chest:
    decline bench press 4x8/60
    bench press 4x8/140

Biceps:
    barbell preacher curls 4x8/45
    barbell curls 4x8/40
    hammer curls 4x8/20

Back:
    lateral pull downs 4x8/120
    pulls 4x8/100
    dumbbell row 4X8/30

Abs:
    sit up 4x30
    lean forwards 4x15/110

As you can see the weights are pathetic still, but I am steadily increasing them… I am also trying to slowly move toward 50/50 free weights and machines. Right now like 75% of the exercises involve machines because I am simply too weak to handle free weight most the time, and I also never have a spotter.

So I would welcome any suggestions, as I am sure the routine is full with problems and weak point. But please keep in mind that I try to train one body part twice a week and for now not much training for the legs.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Normann; 10-01-2002 at 09:43 AM.

Lift THIS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pathetic? Nonsense. No one in here will tell you anything about your routine or weight is "pathetic." You are a WINNER for working out in the first place!!

How old are you? What body type? what kind of diet are you committed to? Etc etc. Hard to evealuate your routine without knowing much about you.
    ..........................O
    .................+-=o0OO0o=-+
    .........................\o/

"I don't go to public gyms... too many jerkoffs waiting in line to stand in front of the mirror and admire themselves while yet another wanna-be Nirvana band is piped through a weak sound system. I don't find that inspiring. Give me a Van Halen CD, a cage, 300 lbs of weights and some dumbells and I got all the fuc|<in' inspiration I need..." -Me

I used to be embarassed to claim the 80's as my teen years because I thought the music from that era was such a joke.. until I watched the Mtv award show this year.. I have an all new appreciation for my era. - Me

Post ok some additional info

I am 29 and the ummm.... I know there are those three types but I forgot the names... I am like an average type 175 pounds 5'11' tall. People called me thin a few years ago LOL but lately I can very easily gain those undesired pounds. I would say the usual office guy in front of the computer 10 hours a day with a small belly. I have never really worked on my upper body or have done any physical work/exercise other than lots of cycling some 10 years ago though the cycling was pretty serious averaged some 100-120 road miles daily.

I have tried the keto diet from the forum, and it probably worked as I am a lot more stronger than 2 months ago and my weight did not change. But I am sure I did not get it the right way for the first time. Now I am back to my normal (somewhat limited) eating and with the regular training I think slowly the belly starts to disappear. Or may be I just like to think it that way. But I definitely gaining muscles as I simply can feel and see that.

I don't know if the time would be right for me to start to cut as I think right now I need to gain some more muscles but that way the belly won't go away I guess as I have to keep eating. I don't eat too much though but I can't eat 6 times a day, no way.

This is what I eat normally:
    -1 protein shake in the morning
    -1 meal around 5-6PM (usually some veggie with fried meat, or pork or chicken, it is easy and quick and sucks but no time for gourmet)
    -few eggs or tuna later, or some cottage cheese but often I just skip this part as I am getting sick of eggs and cheese

In addition to this I take the post workout shake, creatin, and vitamins etc... I am thinking of adding glutamine but I still did not get what that is really good for... much more to learn I guess.

I don't know if this was the info you were looking for.

Thanks anyways!

Based on what you wrote, I think a lot of guys in here can offer assistance.

For starters, you must set some goals. What exactly is your
    goal(s)? You spoke about your small belly a couple times so maybe you just want to stay fit and trim...? If that is your goal, then I think your lifting routine is WAY more work than you NEED to do to achieve your goal of being fit. If that is indeed your goal, I would say follow Bill Phillips "Body For Life" program to the letter (http://www.bodyforlife.com) and you will easily achive your goals and then some.

On the other hand, your proposed workout lacks what we call compound "big" movements that are critical to strengthening the body's core (which in variably leads to many splendid side effects like increased testosterone, increased bone density, better balance and overall well being and most importantly a robust FRAME to support the many isolated movements you have mentioned in your proposed workouts. In addition, you need to be taking in the right amounts of protein/carbs/fat. (chk all the great articles on this site)

Finally, in either case, Something you wrote that caught my attention immediately the most was this: "I have never really worked on my upper body or have done any physical work/exercise other than lots of cycling some 10 years ago..." Forget the "upper body" mantra. Begin thinking in terms of "the body" .. as a whole. if you pay attention to ALL of it (i,e, do squats, dead lifts and other compound movements such as dips, pullups, et al) you will be AMAZED out how the other parts of your body will benefit. Your appearance will be far more balanced and that small belly... well.. in time that will disappear.

In summary:

-If your goal is to get lean and toned, buy Body for Life and follow it religously. It has truly worked miracles for those who have put fort he the effort.

-If you're in this to put on mass, and bulk up (and get rid of the belly in the process) and you wish to do it simply by creating your own program and getting advice here on the board, then get to reading the articles on nutrition, supplements (protein, creatine, etc) and big compound movements that will lend themselves to strengthening your CORE before you start all of those isolated movements.

Let me know if I can offer any more assistance. I have found this game is more about knowledge than anything.

"I don't go to public gyms... too many jerkoffs waiting in line to stand in front of the mirror and admire themselves while yet another wanna-be Nirvana band is piped through a weak sound system. I don't find that inspiring. Give me a Van Halen CD, a cage, 300 lbs of weights and some dumbells and I got all the fuc|<in' inspiration I need..." -Me

I used to be embarassed to claim the 80's as my teen years because I thought the music from that era was such a joke.. until I watched the Mtv award show this year.. I have an all new appreciation for my era. - Me

thanks for the points

Could you give me a list of the compound movements? I made a quick search for it on the forum but after the 5th thread that did not give me a complete list, I figured I may just ask. I saw you wrote dips and pullups... well for now I can't dip with my bodyweight nor can I pull myself up more than say 2 times in a row. That is why I am doing what I called "pushdowns" and I think in 2 months I will be able to get started on dips. For chin ups I do the "pulldown" currently with 130 pound so I am still some 45 away from my bodyweight plus I guess it is harder to do that than to simply pull a cable but than I will be able to get started with that too.

Btw to clear it up. Yes I would like to bulk first as there is nothing (or really not much) to tone right now So I constantly try to increase the weights and keep it around the 8 repetition. It is going fine, I can always add an extra 5-10 here or there and that really makes me feel good about the whole training. But I have also started from the bottom and everyone says it is easy to increase at the beginning.

I am also trying to move more toward free weights and things like dips and chipn ups but as it is right now I hardly can balance a wegith or I simply can't do the exercise (again the dips and pullups), but just in the last weeks I did include some dumbbells, barbells, the squat etc... and I think in another 2 months I can reach the 50% machine and 50% free weight ratio that has been mentioned by others here and also be able to do more with my own body weight rather than simulating a dip with less weight.

So you are saying I should do more compound movements. How are compound movements different in repetition, weight, how many times per week etc...? I guess I need the 101 of compund movements here. Or if there is an existing thread that describes this topic than I would appreciate a link to it.

Thanks! (sorry for the post being somewhat messed up but it is getting late here and I just came home from the gym )

OK, this comes from intense-workout.com. It's not definitive, but I think it summarizes things very well.

"The most effective muscle building exercises are compound movements. Compound movements are exercises that require your body to use more than one muscle. For example, bicep curls will only require your body to use your biceps. This is known as an isolation exercise. An exercise like the bench press, which mainly requires the use of your chest, but secondarily requires your triceps and shoulders is a compound movement. Including the bench press, there are 4 weightlifting exercises that MUST be included in your workout routines.

****The 4 biggest, most effective, muscle building exercises are Squats, Deadlifts, the Bench Press and the Military Press.***** All 4 are compound movements and all 4 are are extremely important to your workout. The main exercise of your chest workout should be the bench press, the main exercise of your leg workout should be squats, the main exercise of your back workout should be deadlifts and the main exercise of your shoulder workout should be the military press. Exercises like dumbell flyes which works the chest, leg extensions which works the legs, lat pulldowns which works the back and lateral raises which works the shoulders are all fine exercises and I do every one of them, however, the "big 4" exercises are the ones that will allow you to gain the most muscle, size and strength. (Click here for more info on workout routines and programs) ..."

So there ya go. Clearer now? Those are the big ones and theoretically, as he says, your workout should be built around those big movements.

In terms of intensity and weights... given your current circumstances, I think you should be doing these movements - and augmenting them with some other isolation movements - with moderate weight in the beginning to promote absolutely STRICT form, with an emphasis on the eccentric portion of the lift (concentric shortens the muscle, eccentric elongates it). Check your web resources and/or talk to a trainer and get the form down pat so you KNOW you are doing them correctly. There's nothing like doing an exercise for 6 months only to find out you've been doing it wrong. :P Lift slow and deliberately til it burns the living $hit out of your muscle group - yet doesn't "hurt."

I hear you about not being able to support your weight for dips. Been there. Your gym SHOULD have an assisted machine for dips and pullups. These are GREAT for developing the strength you need for these movements. In addition, you can do wide-grip lat pulldown to strengthen for pull-ups and I HIGHLY recommend augmenting your bench sets with a few sets of push-ups. Could be my military background, but I still find diamond push-ups to be one of THE most challenging upper body exercises.

In summary, why not develop a plan that emphasizes compound movements but also employs smaller (funner) isolation movements?

Total sample programs follow. I also got these from intense-workout.com and I think they are awesome.. by the way, on the "off" days you might consider light cardio (I repeat LIGHT cardio)

"...Sample Splits

Coming up with weightlifting workout routines and splits and programs isn't really rocket science, once you understand the basics you can create your own. But, here are a few sample split routines and programs off the top of my head I have either used at one time, or are commonly used by other people

Monday - Chest/Triceps
    Tuesday - off
    Wednesday - Biceps/Back
    Thursday - off
    Friday - Shoulders/Legs
    Saturday - off
    Sunday - off

Monday - Chest/Biceps
    Tuesday - off
    Wednesday - Shoulders/Legs
    Thursday - off
    Friday - Back/Triceps
    Saturday - off
    Sunday - off

Monday - Chest/Back
    Tuesday - Shoulders
    Wednesday - off
    Thursday - Biceps/Triceps
    Friday - Legs
    Saturday - off
    Sunday - off

Remember, these are just sample programs. Some people like to workout on the weekends, and I don't. So in all the samples I made them off days. It all depends on what days you have time to workout and/or when you want to workout which is why these are just samples, not splits you have to use.

Sample Weightlifting Workout Routines

This is hard. There are so many exercises for each muscle, and so many ways to split them up and make a routine out of them. So instead of listing 10,000 workout routines, I'll just list what I think are the most effective muscle building exercises for each muscle and later on you can decide which to use in your own workout routines.

Chest
    Flat Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Flat Bench Dumbell Flyes
    Incline Dumbell Flyes

Back
    Deadlift
    Lat Pulldown (or weighted pull ups)
    Seated Cable Row
    Bent Over Barbell Row
    Bent Over 1 Arm Dumbell Rows

Biceps
    Standing Barbell Curls
    Preacher Curls (with dumbells or barbell)
    Seated/Standing Dumbell Curls

Triceps
    Tricep Press Down
    Dips
    French Press

Legs
    Squats
    Calve Raises

Shoulders
    Seated/Standing Military Press (with barbell or dumbells)
    Lateral Raises
    Shrugs

Abs
    Abs are an important muscle and should be worked, but most people are just soooo confused when it comes to ab workouts. So, for more information on how "important" ab workouts are, and how to put abdominal exercises into your workout, click here."

Finally, you need to be eating 6 meals a day and getting your protein, proper rest, etc. Pls read the articles on this site about nutrition.. it's everything.

Hope all of this helps you.

Best,

B

that made ic clear

Thanks for your time!!! I will definitely make a couple of changes toward the big 4.

Just a quick one:

I am already doing the bench, the squat and the mlitary press, and I will include the deadlift next time. The Q is: should these 4 exercises be done with free weights? Actually I don't mind doing all of them with small weights, but I would not like to do the flat or the incline bench (however I do the decline bench already) free because I am afraid of raising the weight to my limit w/o a spotter.

You're completely welcome. I love talking about this stuff.

I personally feel deadlifts are the most important exercise AND the exercise that MOST improves one's physical core strength (alleviates many lower back pains, helps posture, etc). It's probably my favorite exercise.

As for machines vs. free weights, I think you should do whatever's the most comfortable to you - as long as you are aware of the pluses and deltas of each. Many will argue "resistance is resistance," and while there is certainly merit to that argument, the fact of the matter is, machines do not offer the same benefits of free weights for three very distinctive reasons, two physical and one purely psychological. ...

1. Free weights exercise the ancillary (or "balancing") muscles that support the major muscle groups. These muscles add mass and definition to the majors, but more importantly, the more they grow, the more they are able to help take the stress off tendons, ligaments, etc . Translation: INURY PREVENTION! Nothing like an injury to slow your growth and gains exponentially.

2. Free weights are definitely going to make you stronger faster - and that leads to muscle growth in itself. Why? again, balancing muscles. The proof is in the [fat free] pudding here. As a test, go put 120 lbs. on a Universal machine bench and do 5 reps lying flat on the bench. Now go grab two 60 lb. dumbells and try to do 5 reps lying flat on the bench. Case closed.

3. Psychological: On machines one is much more likely to give up on those last critical reps, or allow the machine to do most of the work, whereas with free weights, it's truly all on the lifter, every last ounce of resistance.. and let's face it, those last few drops of sweat are what divide the winners from the runner-ups.

Machines are actually awesome for many movements, they've just got a bad rap because people "lean" on them too much for those last CRITICAL repetitions. So if you think you can push yourself to do those last reps on a machine, then go for it if that's where your comfort zone is. But bear in mind, when using machines you are not working the ancillary (or "balancing") muscles that really shape and support the major muscle groups.

I would venture to say the ratio of free weight to machine movements for MOST BB'ers (an y'all correct me if I'm wrong) is about 80 to 20 (freeweight to machine).

If you are concerned about your ability to support heavier free weights without a spotter, then I would tell you, given your level of experience that you are lifting too heavy and too much at this stage of the game. As I said early on, I really think you should be doing moderate weight to burnout right now (reps between 12 and 18) rather than heavy weight to failure (reps between 8 and 12). There is a BIG difference. For YOU, moderate weights will lend themselves to strengthening your frame for the future AND more importantly decrease your chances for injury - which is a MAJOR disappointment after weeks and weeks of progress. You need to view lifting as a JOURNEY, not a destination. Build for the future.

Hope all this helps.
    Last edited by Lift THIS; 10-02-2002 at 09:49 AM.

Lightbulb ok my ears were open :)

I figured since everything I have done in those 2-3 months was influenced by this board so why not go with the advice again so I decided to rip my original routine into parts and came up with a new one.

I think I included every exercise you mentioned, also legs, plus I cut pretty much the program into half so I will really only train every major part once a week. Right now it seems to me that I will do less, but: So many lemmings can't be wrong! Right? And I definitely need to gain so there will be something to tone out later.

Tuesday triceps/abs and legs

barbell triceps extension 4x8/70 (I will change this into skull crushers soon)
    close grip bench press 4x8/130
    pushdown 4x8/100
    french press 4/8/30

sit up 5x30
    lean forwards 4x20/110

squats 4x8/90
    seated machine calf raise 4x8

Thursday shoulder/back

military press 4x8/90
    front lateral raise 4x8/20
    dumbbell shrugs 4/8/40
    standing dumbbell flyies 4/8/35

lateral pulldowns 4x8/130
    pulls 4x8/100
    dumbell row 4X8/35
    deadlift 4/8/50
    hyperextension 4x15

Sunday traps/chest/biceps

upright row 4x8/40

incline dumbbell flyies 4x8/110
    flat bench press 4x8/150
    decline bench press 4x8/60
    dumbell flyies 4/8/35

barbell preacher curls 4x8/50
    barbell curls 4x8/50
    hammer curls 4x8/25

I will report back in 2 months how everything goes. The only thing I simply can't include is the 6x a day eating, as I just can't keep on eating int the office LOL.... that would mean 1x butt kick right there...

I think the workout looks WAY better, given your goals. As for eating 6x, I'm telling your right now diet is EVERYTHING. It's importance can't be overstated. You stand to miss out on a lot of lean muscle mass growth if you don't eat correctly and I will bet anyone worth their salt on this board will agree with me 100%. If you find it difficult to do at work, try this for a week or two and let me know how it goes. I know you can do it. Remember, 5 to 6 meals a day will burn far more fat than 3 meals will, that is a known fact. When you starve your body for 4 to 6 hours, it stores fat. Period.

The following is a hybrid diet. By no means is it intended to be definitive or scientific, and I totally realize it could be improved with diff. supplements, etc. BUT, it IS convenient and I think it will work for you.

7am Meal 1: I like to keep this really simple because I don't feel like jerking around with cooking every morning. Drink a protein shake (.8 of protein per pound of body weight) and eat a banana (or a couple tblspoons of honey). If you have time, cook up 30 carbs worth of Oatmeal. Done. Take a multi vitamin (GNC Mega for Men is perfectlly fine). So come Sunday, make sure you got enough bananas for the week.

9:30am Meal 2: A Myoplex shake (don't add yogurt, etc .. you don't need a high number of carbs to sit on your ass at work.. the amount in the Myoplex alone will work). Make sure you bring 10 Myoplex packets and a shaker to work every Monday morning. Fill your shaker with Myoplex, pour some water from your bottle into and down it. Done.

12:30p Meal 3: This meal perplexes a lot of people because they think they have to eat a huge meal. Not so. They only thing you're doing is keeping your metabolism up. Don't think of this as a traditional "lunch" anymore. All meals are equal. Here are some choices:

A) If you typically go out and eat, go grab a meal with (eg) grilled or baked chicken/fish/lean meat, a potato and a salad. Stay away from a lot of bread. A slice or two of whole grain wheat is fine if you want to eat a sandwich. Drink a water or two with it.

B) If you bring your lunch, bring in a chicken breast or a meat sandwich, a baked potato and some veggies and nuke them. In this situation, bake all your chicken & potatoes every Sunday night and individually wrap them for the week.

C) If you don't want to make your lunch every weekend and you want something more convenient, bring in a small container of cottage cheese and a fat free yogurt with some peanuts or cashews. IF you opt for this option, maybe you could eat this three days and go out the other 2 days. In this case, make sure you have 3 cottage cheeses, 3 yogurts and some peanuts or cashews every week.

3:00p Meal 4: Myoplex shake. No brainer.

5:30p Meal 5: A healthy dinner. I typically opt for lean meat (steak, chicken, etc), a potato and a salad or steamed veggies.

8:30p Meal 6: I eat for this meal depending on what I did that day. If I sat on my ass all day and didn't work out, I don't take a whole bunch of protein in. If I worked out, I will definitely go for the whole 50g of protein, etc. If not, I'll have half a Myoplex, some cashews and a bunch of water.

There it is. This is totally doable. All it takes is a little preparation on the weekend. Once you get into it, it really becomes second nature. I promise.

Isay if you're going to do something, do it ALL THE WAY. No half-steppin'

Best of luck to you, my man.

m

omg

absolutely right about the half step I know... still kind of hard...

I have my 8AM whey shake anyways or else I can't take the vitamins, the glucosamine condritin, the calcium etc on empty stomach... so I got that.

The 5-6PM dinner is also there. Around 8:30PMish I do eat some protein rich small meal, tuna or eggs unless I feel like I have a chicken farm in my stomach already... So basically I have to squeeze in 3 fast meals between 9-5.

Now imagine since 14 I have never been eating anything until 3-5PM. May be this is why I sayed kind of thin. I lived like this as I hate eating before noon, the only exception is weekend breakfasts with family (may be once a month) which is always yummy and fun.

I guess nothing else left than to order some of that Myoplex and get it down without much thinking...

The real good thing about working out the right way is that I really start to HATE EATING and if I think of a meal I start to see a shaker and some white half liquid stuff...

I will report back in 2 months about how everything went especially with the less exercies.

Hi there again!

Kind of reporting back, and also some more questions after 4 months... but 1st thanks for the help.

I did cut my program pretty much into half as suggested, and it worked though I felt guilty thinking I was lazy again. I have also tried the 6x eating and it kind of worked as my weight stayed put on 172 while I kept lifting more and more and kept gaining those n00b gains. I am much muscular (relative to myself 7 months ago) and in general in a much better body and mental shape. But I did not follow everything 100% as it was suggested.

However now that I have the army of visitors from Christmas (my family who kept me eating & cooking & drinking beer 24x7 for weeks…) behind me it, is time for a frontal assault on body fat, and on the belly (which did get smaller and I see the light already and am confident I’ll kill it in the next 2 months ). It is also time for some re-organization of my routine. Like I said some problems with my previous program have never been corrected, so I want to take care of those also.

For example one thing I never got to change was the wrong split I have used form the beginning. It was like this:

Sunday – chest/biceps
    Tuesday - tri/abs/legs
    Thursday - shoulder/upper back

After looking at the other options I decided from today I will change it to the commonly used:

Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Shoulder/Abs/Legs

Also until now, for each body part I did 14 sets with 8 repetitions and I kept rotating the body parts… i.e.: 4x8 flat bench press > then 4x8 preacher curls > then 3x8 incline bench press etc then something for the biceps again.

As I was just looking at other programs i.e. this one just posted before me:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...threadid=99482

I see you guys do not rotate and do even less than 14 sets per body part. I thought I have read 14 sets is optimal. Was there a revolution again?

My question: So the right way would be i.e. on a chest/biceps day to do about 7-8 sets for one body parts, like chest, then another 7-8 for biceps? This seems less work to me (LOL you gotta love body building this is the only place where you may achieve more with less input… /joke/) but I understand that it is certainly more intensive since there is no time to rest.

So should I get rid of the rotation? I also have some exercises I just don’t want to give up. Fo example I do this for back:

- 4 chin ups
    - 4 later pull down
    - 3 T-Bar
    - 3 dumbbell row

I like all of em, but is it really OK to only do say:
    3 chin
    3 t-bar
    2 lateral pull

For upper back? Seeeems sooo few to me. Thazzzit?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Norm

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I helped wings make that split . Um, well, volume is NOT the key bro. Hard work and intensity is 9but you still need some volume to grow).

Diferent muscles need different sets though. BAck probably needs 7-11 sets for optimal growth. That doesn't mean biceps does though. Biceps only need 3-9 sets. Every body aprt is different. Also, always train the bigger muscles first.

I assume you do deadlifts with legs. Squats and deadlifts can be very taxing. if you put all your effort into one (I.e. deadlifts), then you won't have as much energy for the other (I.e. squats).

This back workout look pretty good if you train back alone. But since you want to train back with biceps, I reccomend something like tis

- Bent over barbell rows 3 sets
    - Wide grip pullups 3 sets
    - T-bar rows 2 sets
    - One armed rows 1 set

Something l ike that (i'm assuming oyur still going to do deadlifts with legs so i didn't include them)

Then something simple for the biceps like:

babrell curls 3 sets
    incline hammer curls 2 sets
    any bicep exercise 1 set

SOmething like that.
    The Beginner's Guide to Bodybuilding

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

Lightbulb

I seeeeeeeeeeee. Lot more to learn...

I assumed that every single body part needs ca. 14 sets once a week. I guess I was still overtraining as I have done always around 28ish sets on every training day for 2 groups.

Dang I feelt I was doing something wrong as it always seemed that I am spending more time on one body part than anyone else in the gym.

OK could you please give me an approximate idea about which major part needs how many exercises?

I got that back needs 7-11, and biceps 3-9. How about abs, triceps, shoulders, and chest.

Once you give me that info I will try to com up with a new routine and post it for review

Thanks Sychokid!

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by Normann
    I seeeeeeeeeeee. Lot more to learn...

I assumed that every single body part needs ca. 14 sets once a week. I guess I was still overtraining as I have done always around 28ish sets on every training day for 2 groups.

Dang I feelt I was doing something wrong as it always seemed that I am spending more time on one body part than anyone else in the gym.

OK could you please give me an approximate idea about which major part needs how many exercises?

I got that back needs 7-11, and biceps 3-9. How about abs, triceps, shoulders, and chest.

Once you give me that info I will try to com up with a new routine and post it for review

Thanks Sychokid!
    Alright no problem. i have to make this quick though.

triceps: same as biceps

chest: 6-10 sets

shoudlers: varies. about 2-3 sets per deltiod head (anterior, lateral, and posterior)

Abs: Unsure about this. 6-9 sets 1-2x a week should do.

ok just back from the gym...

this is what I did in this exact order:

3 dumbbell flyers
    3 flat bench press
    3 incline bench press

3 skull crusher
    3 French press
    3 dips

3 machine fly's

So basically I skipped the rotation, and lowered the sets as we discussed it earlier today. I was going to do the machine as the 4th chest exercise but the gym was full so I had to do that last. (Btw I am going to drop the machine fly's. although they feel great… I will come back to it once I have more meat on me )

What I was going to say is that I WAS DONE IN 30-40 min. I was really pushing myself hard, some 45sec to 1 min breaks, and I even had to drop a few pounds around the incline bench because I was running low on juice. I also have to add that I have only done 8 repetitions and not 10-12, because just on Sunday it was chest day (due to my former workout program) thus I did not want to kill my chest. But I never had such a pump ever. It felt great!!! Except that I was so quickly out, I felt I cheated. Especially since I did not even do cardio as I have a slight sinus...

Anyhow thanks for the info, I have never felt so pumped up before LOL... we will see how this works.

Alright buddy . Try upping your rest between seconds too.

LOL... you don't have a life do you? or do you have a beeper linked to the forum? I am ready for the soarness of my life G'nigth

Originally posted by Normann
    LOL... you don't have a life do you? or do you have a beeper linked to the forum? I am ready for the soarness of my life G'nigth
    um, I have these little dwarfs that come out of my underwear draw when someone is in need. They usually start to say "domo arigato, mr roboto" and that is my qu.