Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Jordan to the max oldschool8604's Avatar
    oldschool8604 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

should i run before or after my workout

I used to run about 3 times a week, but usually after my work out, and it would basically be the end of the work out, sort of like my burn out.
    I don't think it really matters, but if someone knows something better, i just want some info.

Running before my workout would get my blood flowing more and make my body looser and more warmed up for a work out. would this be better, giving me faster recovery, better pump, and more energy to work out?

Once Wise, Always Wise WaterWizard11's Avatar
    Stats: 6'0", 187 lbs
    BodyPoints: 745
    WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000) WaterWizard11 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit WaterWizard11's BodySpace
    i would say, do a test on yourself cause everybodys body is different. try it before and see how ya feel, then tri it after sometime to see what happens. there are pros and cons for both sides. Before= good warmup, blood rushing in muscles, may cause fatigue on less sugar in the blood for the w/o. After= good cool down, but may take blood out of the muscles just worked, and those muscles really need those nutrients...it's really just a personal choice. I run on the days i dont lift, and visa versa
    "Insert memorable quote here"

hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hxcBB is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    personally i cant do cardio before i lift, i get to worn out and cant lift to full potential

WHEYisHARDCORE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Cardio before a workout isn't the best thing you should be doing.

When you run or any other cardio before working out, an intense cardio workout totally or almost depletes your glycogen stores.

You need quite a bit of your glycogen stores when weightlifting.

Glycogen stores are your muscles source of energy, so if they are low, you just won't have the energy to push out all the reps. Giving you a much less effective workout.

Also, during hard cardio, protein synthesis drops down and protein breakdown goes up. When lifting, synthesis goes up a little or stays the same and breakdown goes up. Because the synthesis has dropped down, your body doesn't have the ability to build muscle, now your body won't be able to build as much muscle because of the cardio.

Basically, if you do hard cardio before lifting, you will have no energy and be in muscle breakdown mode. And you don't want your bodies ability to repair and build muscle lower after a weightlifting workout.

It is best to do cardio on a non-lifting day.

Edit: Don't get me mistaken, what I just said was talking about lifting right after cardio. It's ok if you give your body rest after the cardio and before the weights. Long enough for your body to get back your glycogen stores.

Ohh and don't even think about doing cardio on leg day :P