matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Bench press training technique

I'm trying to increase my bench press (who isn't but just keep reading) and I want to ask this one thing:

Currently I train bench press 2x a week: one is a heavier 4-5x5-6 session with around 80+% of my max and the other session is 3-4x6-8 with about 60-65% of my max. Its this lighter session that I want to ask about.

Currently, in addition to the weight and rep scheme I outlined, I also use a slightly narrower grip (bring my hands in about 3cm on each side, on my heavy days I bench with middle finger on the rings) and I pause at the bottom of each rep (as opposed to a touch and go though no bounce method on heavier days) and then drive up the bar with maximal speed/force.

What I want to know is if this paused method of training (if I'm not specifically training for a powerlifting meet where you have to pause the bar) is more or less beneficial than doing touch and go on my lighter days as well? Any ideas/experiences?
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your plan to train lighter one day and heavier on another is a good approach to drive up benching strength. I would flip it around though and have your heavy day be maximal effort with touch n go. Then on the lighter day - you can use less weight and do paused reps focusing on exploding up. Speed reps like that should be capped at 3-4 reps max though. After that you are just going to be spinning your wheels and incorporating things outside of what your focus is.

How many sets/reps you do is up to you, but for the "lighter" day on those paused/speed reps i would shoot for 5x3.

Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Im not sure why your going so wide with your grip? You can risk shoulder injury if you go too wide.
    "When you're not in the gym, someone else is; and they will beat you."
    "If it was easy, everyone would do it."
    "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
    "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender."
    “To be number one, you have to train like you’re number two”

Jan 1st: 227 @ 16%
    Jan 7th: 223
    Jan 14th: 217
    Jan 21st: 216
    Jan 28th: 214
    Feb 4th: 213

pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pentrubani3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    try do do more than a bb presss
    use dumbellse incline dicline and more chest workouts

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Senecan View Post
    Im not sure why your going so wide with your grip? You can risk shoulder injury if you go too wide.
    Thats not very wide grip, its a perfectly reasonable grip for someone of my frame.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?