LexNYC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Clean Eating and Depression

Did anyone suffer from some mild depression as the result of a change in your diet to clean eating?

According to fit day, in August, my avg macros were as follows:

1761 Calories
    30% Fat
    Sat 10%
    Poly 5%
    Mono 11%
    35% Carbs
    24% Protein
    10% Alcohol

September:
    1550 Calories
    26% Fat
    Sat 7%
    Poly 4%
    Mono 10%
    37% Carbs
    30% Protein
    8% Alcohol

October:
    1614 Calories
    24% Fat
    Sat 5%
    Poly 5%
    Mono 10%
    31% Carbs
    39% Protein
    5% Alcohol

Just curious if anyone else has experienced a mood change from the increase in protein/decrease in carbs/fat...

Thanks!
    lex.

headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lower carbs make a lot of people mentally sluggish and moody/cranky. I also think that I get a little "out of it/emotional" when my fats are too low. Everything in balance, and if it's not, you're possibly risking feeling off.

vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50) vnmama will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have been feeling kind of "blah" for awhile now, and now that you mention it, it happens to coincide with my attempt to eat cleaner, which for me, means lots more protein and less carbs.

I had an eye opener on Halloween when I ate chocolate (and lots of it!) for the first time in months....and I felt sooooo good that day and the next day.

Kind of scary actually.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you sure it's your diet? Your macros are slightly different in October than August but not radically so.

Are there other things going on that could be making you feel down? Or could the increased emphasis on appearance be doing it (assuming such an increase exists for you)? I know that I am more critical of my body now than I was before I started working out, and yet I am in better shape now.

You could try upping your carbs and fats for a week or two and seeing how you feel. You August macros are not bad, i.e., if you can eat clean within those macros, you should be fine.

beautifully broken spytechs_wife's Avatar
    spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i have been depressed for a while now...i go up and down, but i was also starting to beleive that it is diet related, and now that you posted your story i am even more convinced. here are my averages for the past months:

OCTOBER: 1445 cal-- 17% fat, 31% carb, 52% protein

SEPTEMBER: 1395 cal-- 17% fat, 31% carb, 52% protein

AUGUST: 1383 cal-- 18% fat, 30% carb, 52% protein

JULY: 1214 cal-- 21% fat, 31% carb, 48% protein

anyways, just wanted to relate. im currently in a state of changing my diet to BALANCE it out.

i'm not an expert in the sciences by any means...these are just a few exerpts from studies i read.

"High-protein diets can also cause vitamin and carbohydrate deficiencies. Because carbohydrates affect the serotonin balance in the brain, eating a diet that is practically devoid of carbohydrate can cause a drop in brain serotonin levels and result in depression." --health24.com

"Depression is also linked to a lack of certain vitamins, especially the B vitamins which are used in nervous system function. Although vitamin B6 deficiency is rare in the United States, many women do not get enough in their diets. A less than adequate intake may produce subtle changes in mood, even before a deficiency could develop. B6 also plays a role in the brain chemical production of serotonin. Studies show that people who are depressed have low levels of B6 and serotonin." --healingwell.com

"Serotonin levels can also be controlled through the diet. A diet deficient in omega-3 fatty acids may lower brain levels of serotonin and cause depression. Complex carbohydrates raise the level of tryptophan in the brain resulting in a calming effect. Vitamin C is also required for the conversion of tryptophan into serotonin." --http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/serotonin/depression.htm

its an interesting topic, i hope we can get more info from others

clare
    "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." - Phil 4:13

"The ultimate mystery is one's own self." - Sammy Davis, Jr.

Full service photography-
    offthecuffphotography.info

moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

I agree that nutrition and diet do play a role in our mental state. Carbs are so important for energy and they are our brain food - without them we get tired and feel low. I try to consume 50 C, 25 - 30P and 15 - 20F and it works really well for me in terms of balance, energy and being sane and happy!! lol

Interesting that others have experienced the same thing. But I do agree with you, DBFLGIRL, that my diet really hasn't changed all that much overall, but those averages take into account cheat days and days including lots of alcohol which probably skew the results towards more carbs/fat and less protein. I think I may try to up my carbs/fat just a bit to see what happens, though I just got used to my current weekday (non-cheat-day) diet...

Also, I definitely agree that being more body/appearance conscious is not the best thing for mindset, but I've been this way for a while (on and off), so I can't blame that for recent depression - though I've also been on and off depressed for a while (mildly) and have been on anti-d's before with great results (minus the disappearance of libido and minor weight gain).

Sometimes I think that just forgetting about all this crap and throwing caution to the wind would be good for me. Ignorance may be bliss when macronutrients are involved. Not that it's an option....

OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    maybe it has something to do with the fact that 1200 calories is near starvation? I dont think youre eating enough in general

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lex, not to sound like your mother, but you do know that alcohol is a depressant, right? Also, if you are on bc, that can contribute as well.

OhLea, Lex is eating well above 1200 calories as is the other poster who was eating in that range back in July.

Thanks for coming to my defense DBFLGIRL. I'm definitely eating enough calories (sometimes too many).

And I know about alcohol being a depressant and all that, and really, I've cut down soooo much. I definitely feel better for it, but I've had times in my life when I drank a ton more, and was less depressed (fatter, but less depressed). I know there is a direct correlation, but it's just not feasible for me to cut out alcohol entirely at this point.

As for birth control, man, I wish I could cut that out entirely. Definitely would love to know how it feels to not be on them, but I can't think of a perfect alternative.

OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OhLea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh ok gotcha - sorry for the mix up - are these posters eating for weight loss/cutting?

spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250) spytechs_wife has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by OhLea
    oh ok gotcha - sorry for the mix up - are these posters eating for weight loss/cutting?
    at the time i was trying to cut but was going about it incorrectly-- i know 1200 cal/day is terrible. i had some personal issues that were causing me to not eat enough but im fine now.

thanks, clare

Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10) Watch Me! is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Depo-Provera. No periods, no nothin. I've read about people having terrible affects from it, but I never have!

VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VanillaBean_21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ashla
    Get an IUD--its great

Im so freaking jealous. Ive wanted once since I was 14 years old. LMAO Every pill I go on makes me sick...and those are my only choices so...No sex sucks butt. LOL

Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dogmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LexNYC
    And I know about alcohol being a depressant and all that, and really, I've cut down soooo much. I definitely feel better for it, but I've had times in my life when I drank a ton more, and was less depressed (fatter, but less depressed). I know there is a direct correlation, but it's just not feasible for me to cut out alcohol entirely at this point.
    That is a disturbing statement. Given that alcohol adds no nutrients and only calories, and your calorie level is rather low at this point, I'm wondering what percentage of your diet is devoted to alcohol?
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000)
    rhodiola is a mood enhanchance and i have found it very helpful regarding moodiness. i have noticed huge difference before and after.

barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ashla
    They have one out now that you leave in for 5 years--no side effects and its just slightly uncomfortable to put in but then---you never know its there!!!!!!! I wish I had known about it before--ask your doc--it really is the safest---no hormones making you all wacky like the pill

Well - Lex does not have any children yet so she can not have an IUD. I have no idea why you have to have had chidren it has something to do with your uterus and the IUD - it is a great thing - a bit more than slightly uncomfortable (matter of fact I already dread 4 years and 3 months from now when I have to get it taken out) BUT it is easy now and you do forget about it. The IUD that I have Mirena- does have a low level of levelgesterone(I hacked the spelling of that) so you still do get fed hormones. I have decided that it is time to start prepping my husband for what is going to happen to HIM in 4 years and 3 months

barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LexNYC
    Did anyone suffer from some mild depression as the result of a change in your diet to clean eating?
    Hey LEx - maybe this is just one of your cycles - maybe it does not have anything to do with the food - you are eating healthy foods - which should give you good healthy energy. Maybe also you are just becoming more aware of your body again - and working so hard and not seeing exactly the results you want (cause of cheats) and it is a bit discouraging. I have decided that all of us (every human- especially women) have some problems with depression from time to time - I know you have a history of depression but maybe it is not more than your time of the month or what I described above. I am no DR. but I can not see how eating healthy would make you feel bad - you should be like super charged with vitamins and minerals and anitoxidents - etc from healthy clean eating.

The IUD that I have Mirena, is for women who have had children. I just did a search and on 9/13 one was just approved by FDA for women with that have not had a child.

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- FEI Women's Health announced today
    that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration accepted several revisions to the
    prescribing label for the ParaGard(R) Copper T 380A Intrauterine Copper
    Contraceptive, an Intrauterine Device (IUD). Until recently, IUDs were only
    recommended for women in mutually monogamous relationships with at least one
    child. Now, the FDA has approved the hormone-free ParaGard IUD as the only
    IUD indicated for women in all stages of reproductive life-from age 16 to
    menopause-who are in stable relationships and therefore not at high risk of
    sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or HIV.

jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com nacersusaf's Avatar
    nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question

Up until a few weeks ago, I was only eating about 1300 cals per day, and doing way too much cardio (like at least 60 mins 6 or 7 days per week) in addition to my weights. I finally realized that I needed more calories and less cardio, and I have felt better since then, but I definately noticed that the cleaner I eat, the more anti-social I seem to be. My husband and I hosted a birthday party for a friend at our house last night, and I was so irritated just being around all those other people, that I just crept away and went to bed. My question though, is that a lot of you seem to have the same problem (which takes away some of my worries), but have any of you who aren't on any form of birth control had a significant change in your menstral cycle? I'm 99% sure there is no way I could be pregnant, but my period has been late for a few weeks now. Could this be in result to my change in diet and exercise?

Originally Posted by nacersusaf
    Up until a few weeks ago, I was only eating about 1300 cals per day, and doing way too much cardio (like at least 60 mins 6 or 7 days per week) in addition to my weights. I finally realized that I needed more calories and less cardio, and I have felt better since then, but I definately noticed that the cleaner I eat, the more anti-social I seem to be. My husband and I hosted a birthday party for a friend at our house last night, and I was so irritated just being around all those other people, that I just crept away and went to bed. My question though, is that a lot of you seem to have the same problem (which takes away some of my worries), but have any of you who aren't on any form of birth control had a significant change in your menstral cycle? I'm 99% sure there is no way I could be pregnant, but my period has been late for a few weeks now. Could this be in result to my change in diet and exercise?
    yes, it could. hormones are funny sometimes...they can react to the smallest things and NOT react to big things. lol! my last cycle i was also 2 weeks late, and im usually pretty regular! and we have been trying to get pregnant...boy was i bummed when it came! anyways, don't be overly concerned about it...but if it doesn't come back next cycle maybe get checked up.

and bump about the antisocial thing. the past year i have found that i'd much rather spend my time quiet at home then socializing. ive actually become a bit of a social retard...i often have trouble speaking/expressing my thoughts in social situations.

i dont mind it so much...i like being at home

clare

jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com nacersusaf's Avatar
    nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Red face

whew, that makes me feel a lot better! I actually just took a pregnancy test to rule that out... and I'm not, so I suppose I'll just attribute it to my diet and hope my body gets itself back on track soon now that I'm eating the way I should be. Thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted by nacersusaf
    I'm 99% sure there is no way I could be pregnant, but my period has been late for a few weeks now. Could this be in result to my change in diet and exercise?
    It's probably worth checking out the 1%.

Well hello everyone!

Alright, where shall I begin... I've definitely had a history of depression and have taken meds for it in the past. Actually, I believe that may be part of the problem. Two or three times in the past, I've started meds for depression, had great results and quit after a month or two thinking "well, I'm not depressed anymore, and I hate taking meds so, I'll just quit." Brilliant, I know...

You're probably all correct about the diet not causing the issue though. I may just have a tendency towards moodiness, like lots of women.

Also, re. alcohol, DOGMAMA, on a daily basis alcohol as % total calories is nil. On weekends, it's generally a bit higher, but so are my total calories. It's hard to explain why I can't entirely stop drinking, but, for example, my boyfriend is taking me out to dinner for our anniversary on Friday to a very nice restaurant in the city. If I told him I didn't want to share a bottle of expensive wine with him, (a) I'd be lying, (b) he'd be very dissapointed. Enjoying good wine and an occasional cocktail at a concert or party is just part of my lifestyle. I know it's not the healthiest, but eating clean and not drinking MOST days is better than just saying "screw it" and eating crap and drinking everyday... Which is closer to what I was doing a couple years ago... I am confident that in the next 2-3 years I will grow out of the lifestyle I'm currently entrenched in.

BARNETSJ: hilarious about warning your husband about IUD-removal day. I have a picture in my head of a giant wall calendar count-down thing that your husband marks off each day with a big red "X".

This is an interesting thread...

Lex.