GeneticPeak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Right Shoulder Hangs Lower

My right shoulder sits about 3/4 in. to 1 in. lower than my left shoulder. Does anyone know whats wrong? Problem with spine or muscle development?

Also, any exercises I should do to fix this imbalance?
    Attached Images

Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000)
    So does mine but worse then yours, you can either fork out a ****load of money to a chiro "hoping" they can fix it over a long period of time. Or just remember to lower that left shoulder when your on stage.
    Bodybuilding is all about image not numbers, when you're up on stage your lifting stats and bodyfat % means nothing to the judges.

TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your scapular depressors could be stronger on one side than the other(forcing shoulder down). your traps may be stronger on one side than the other(pulling shoulder up). You may have slight scoliosis(sp?) and be leaning to one side slightly but from the looks of the pics i dont see anything that would suggest that. Are you stronger more in some exercises on one side than the other?
    --Top Secret Nutrition gets TerpMuscle and his gf back on track!--
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162841961

Gluta-Tren Log -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144285241&p=871267361#post871267361

BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    one shoulder will naturally be lower then the other side. we learned about this in orthopedic evaluation in school. based on your pictures i would guess that you are predominantly a right handed person. if you had a greater drop on one side it would be a sign that you may have scoliosis (a curve in the spine), but your shoulders looks normal

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BoomerHusky View Post
    one shoulder will naturally be lower then the other side. we learned about this in orthopedic evaluation in school. based on your pictures i would guess that you are predominantly a right handed person. if you had a greater drop on one side it would be a sign that you may have scoliosis (a curve in the spine), but your shoulders looks normal
    I saw a physio and he said the exact same thing about me..i have mild scoliosis and one shoulder is slightly lower... he told me to roll the shoulders back very slightly to a 'base position' and then do the exercise like that. Seems to be working well. I did not know that it was a natural thing though.
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
    - Bruce Lee

"My studying mimics my training. Brief, intense and infrequent.."
    - Big Red

DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have same problem and I already know the answear!
    Weakness in rhomboids/Traps muscles (Middle Inner Upper Back) is the reason!
    I will explain (not very well):
    Shoulder Blades keeps shoulders back - but when we have weakness in shoulder blades: rhomboids and traps muscles are weak - shoulders goes "in front" and it looks little like "Gorilla"!"Shoulders In Front" affect very bad overall posture of upper body!
    I plain to work better on my Inner Upper Back and It must pulls Shoulders back and fix the problem!

My English i bad,but I hope it will explain!
    By the way in most cases right shoulder is affected by scoliosis!
    Last edited by DarkWolfa; 12-20-2007 at 01:40 AM.

DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarkWolfa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BoomerHusky View Post
    All you said is true!But i have question - when we have barbell exercise like Barbell Bench Press how is possible to balance the weight?!
    Because sometimes I feel my left pec takes the weight,but my right is soft!

BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoomerHusky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DarkWolfa View Post
    All you said is true!But i have question - when we have barbell exercise like Barbell Bench Press how is possible to balance the weight?!
    Because sometimes I feel my left pec takes the weight,but my right is soft!
    if you don't think the weight is being evenly distributed, then you should use dumbbells for a while and avoid the barbell. using the dumbbells will allow both muscles to work the same amount of weight. do that for a few weeks and it should help even your body out

GeneticPeak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah my traps and rear delt are stronger on my left side, and my lat on the right side is stronger. Also, my chest is a lot stronger than my back which probably pulls the shoulder down and forward...right?

Originally Posted by GeneticPeak View Post
    Yeah my traps and rear delt are stronger on my left side, and my lat on the right side is stronger. Also, my chest is a lot stronger than my back which probably pulls the shoulder down and forward...right?
    No on every price!
    For example my chest are my weak poin!
    Rhomboids and traps keeps shoulder blades "in" and "back"!Shoulder Blades keeps shoulder back and spine straight;and chest little up!

When you have weakness in rhomboids and traps muscles - they can't keep shoulder blades "back and in".Shoulder blades flare and shoulders goes round "in front" (like when you bench and NOT keep chest out)!
    Shoulders "In Front' looks like Gorilla for me:
    http://library.thinkquest.org/11234/media/gorilla1.jpg

Just check your Front Delts - if they are "little in front and down" or overpower side,rear delts and chest - you must work Rhomboids and traps muscles to balance the body and to recover right spine position!

I will give you little example: MY right shoulder looks like yours!My Shoulder Blades flare little more!My Shoulders are round "in front"!And I have weakness in rhomboids and traps muscles,and chest as well!But what happen when I go to fitness where bench (for bench press) is little wider then normal!I feel my chest much better - because I have enought space for my wide shoulder blades on the bench!For me the problem is exactly rhomboids and traps muscles - and i must improve them!
    If you have srong rhomboids and traps muscles - you 100 % will have better posture and better results from bench press and all chest exercises!
    To be honest with you - I really don't know how right shoulder or one shoulder is affect from wrong posture and secound not!
    But the result is exactly from weak rhomboids and traps muscles! (I explained things by my self but SPORT DOCTOR point[ed] me to the idea)

BoomerHusky : Thanks.I will keep it in my mind!

Sorry for bad English!!!
    Last edited by DarkWolfa; 12-20-2007 at 11:58 PM.

ring24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

same problem

I have the same problem. My right shoulder is what seems a lot lower than my left, I've read over the posts everyone has given to the prior user asking about this. My thing is I'm left handed however. I use my right hand for throwing a ball, catching, things like that and yet my right. Shoulder hangs lowers. More so than by what's suggested in the thread, is normal. Now I've enlisted in the navy, and passed the physical. I'm sure the doc there would have noticed of is had scoliosis or something like that? Atleast that's what I'd assume, its a physical after all.

Now I will say my right side is my dominant side for sure as since I've been working out for the past month or 2 I've been able to tell on certain excercises. Benching. Leg press( doing single leg press, one leg at a time) I've never tried dead. Lifts so I've never had back pain of any kind suggesting. My spine may have a problem, I do on occasion to.. a lower back raises I guess I'd all em, stand at an.angle with padding on your calves and quads, leaning down and coming back up to a straight position. Idk if that explains it well enough. But on those, again no trouble.

I am inclined to believe this could be a posture issue, resulting from how I drive, sit when I'm on the computer, and how I sleep. Which is on my left side. My arm tucked under my body, on the shoulder. More or less, so my guess is over time this could have caused my left shoulder to sit higher.

Any insight on this is appreciated. Thanks guys!