sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why you shouldn't weight train more than 4 days per week (all newbs please read)

I put this post up in a thread and alot of people seemed to like it so I thought I would start a new thread with it.

Doing weight training is extremely taxing on your body. IMO using weights more than 4 times a week is detrimental unless the lifter fits some/all of the following criteria:

1. They follow a strict diet (includes no alcohol/rec. drugs)
    2. They get 8+ hours of sleep EVERY night
    3. They use steroids

OR

They are just genetically gifted

This is why when people copy the pros programs/splits published in magazines like flex they don't get results. The pros simply have heaps of free time to rest, they plan their diet to be as efficient as possible and have access to tons of drugs.

Most average trainees benefit most from a 3 or 4 day split because they have many other commitments such as work, school, family, social life etc. Extremely good gains can be made from these splits. Remember the old cliche "less is sometimes more". REST AND RECOVERY IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS LIFTING WEIGHTS BECAUSE YOUR MUSCLES GROW OUTSIDE THE GYM.

Please feel free to add anything else you think is relevant.
    Second place is the first loser.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i kind of agree with what your saying but i bet most on this board get 8 hours sleep and follow a strict diet. i dont go for the less is more thing anymore.

more is more, providing you can recover. i aired on the side of less after i read beyond brawn when i could have been doing alot more and making better gains.

i agree with you on the pro routines though and the importance of recovery. very important to keep a good log book so you can find out what works for you

Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tetsuo
    i dont go for the less is more thing anymore.

more is more, providing you can recover. i aired on the side of less after i read beyond brawn when i could have been doing alot more and making better gains.
    Agreed.

I also don't go for the less is more thing anymore. I did so moons ago, but could have been making better gains the whole time, just like you. That said, a huge number of trainees would benifit greatly from doing much much less for a while, as they've been going too hard for too long.

I would say that more is more (volume and frequency), providing you back off and let recovery take place at some point before it's too late.

I also don't necessarily agree with this...

Originally Posted by sloshy
    Most average trainees benefit most from a 3 or 4 day split
    Average trainees would probably do much better training lifts/BPs multiple times per week, as opposed to once a week on some kind of split system. A very advanced BBer might do fine on a once per week split. Beginners, or those coming back after a long layoff, would probably do better training on full body routines multiple times per week.

I do agree that pro routines are generally worthless to the average drug free lifter. Stay away from "Mr. Pro X's Mass Workout," generally speaking.

Dirk

Mad C%#t has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it should be noted that there are a large variety of people on this forum.

Pro BBer's
    ametur BBer's
    prospective bber's
    'big' lifter non-bber's
    sporty's/athletics
    people trying to add a little bulk
    people with no idea
    and lastly...
    people that have NO intention of actually setting foot in a gym.

that list is in SOME sort of order, and im sure there's plenty more inbetween.

I think sloshy was talking largly about the mid-lower section of that, the people that ASK the questions not ANSWER them.

Me for instance, I started out firstly like 8months ago just running round the block, doing sit ups and push ups for a few months and getting into footy training. Then got into a 3-day split of shoulder/legs chest/bi and tri/back for a while, but plateu'd pretty quick, now i'm doing a cycle of HST whith quite good gains, max's have already gone up.

IT's all an education thing really, read the info - if you've been there or done that you know its not for you but there are heaps of people out there who dont know much about over training or resting or diets.
    It doesn't make you tough to not clip your weights, just makes you look like an idiot when they all fall off on that last rep!

sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mad C%#t
    I think it should be noted that there are a large variety of people on this forum.

Pro BBer's
    ametur BBer's
    prospective bber's
    'big' lifter non-bber's
    sporty's/athletics
    people trying to add a little bulk
    people with no idea
    and lastly...
    people that have NO intention of actually setting foot in a gym.

that list is in SOME sort of order, and im sure there's plenty more inbetween.

I think sloshy was talking largly about the mid-lower section of that, the people that ASK the questions not ANSWER them.

Me for instance, I started out firstly like 8months ago just running round the block, doing sit ups and push ups for a few months and getting into footy training. Then got into a 3-day split of shoulder/legs chest/bi and tri/back for a while, but plateu'd pretty quick, now i'm doing a cycle of HST whith quite good gains, max's have already gone up.

IT's all an education thing really, read the info - if you've been there or done that you know its not for you but there are heaps of people out there who dont know much about over training or resting or diets.
    Exactly the post was aimed at people who are new to lifting with little knowledge about recovery, nutrition etc. Some good splits that i would recommend to newbs to lifting include:

1. HST
    2. Westside for skinny bastards
    3. Upper/lower, strength/hypertrophy 4 day split

There are more these are just some i can think of off the top of my head.

sohaibg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i say just listen to your body..... seriously

u should know what it wants..
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 203 lbs.
    Chest: 47
    Arms: 17
    Waist: 32

Mad C%#t has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sohaibg
    i say just listen to your body..... seriously

u should know what it wants..
    So you're saying some punk 'felt' his body needed some horse steroids injected into his leg?
    It doesn't make you tough to not clip your weights, just makes you look like an idiot when they all fall off on that last rep!

sohaibg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mad C%#t
    So you're saying some punk 'felt' his body needed some horse steroids injected into his leg?
    yeah some punk like Mad C%#t
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 203 lbs.
    Chest: 47
    Arms: 17
    Waist: 32

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    3. They use steroids
    i fit into all 3

Originally Posted by Mikey1
    i fit into all 3
    The no alcohol rec. drugs is the one i have difficulty with

The Next Jason Voorhees Da Main Man's Avatar
    Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    what about these desinger supps, ie Emax LMG

do you think your able to workout more often on these ?
    Tell your Girlfriend i said thanks....

Originally Posted by Da Main Man

never heard of them. I'm not a big fan of supplements what's it meant to do?

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Da Main Man

That **** is an amphetamine. Be wary.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

The Next Jason Voorhees Da Main Man's Avatar
    Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dookie1481
    That **** is an amphetamine. Be wary.
    huh? no it aint

its a naturally occuring pheramone....
    Tell your Girlfriend i said thanks....

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I put this post up in a thread and alot of people seemed to like it so I thought I would start a new thread with it.

Doing weight training is extremely taxing on your body. IMO using weights more than 4 times a week is detrimental unless the lifter fits some/all of the following criteria:

3. They use steroids

OR

They are just genetically gifted

This is why when people copy the pros programs/splits published in magazines like flex they don't get results. The pros simply have heaps of free time to rest, they plan their diet to be as efficient as possible and have access to tons of drugs.

Most average trainees benefit most from a 3 or 4 day split because they have many other commitments such as work, school, family, social life etc. Extremely good gains can be made from these splits. Remember the old cliche "less is sometimes more". REST AND RECOVERY IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS LIFTING WEIGHTS BECAUSE YOUR MUSCLES GROW OUTSIDE THE GYM.

Please feel free to add anything else you think is relevant.

This is an absolute statement. There are lifters who have spent time increasing their work capacity so that they can lift more often and with greater intensity. This should be something that people strive for.

For most people, you are right; however, you should strive to be able to do more volume from time to time.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Insert funny comment here Canadian Lifter's Avatar
    Canadian Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canadian Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canadian Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canadian Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canadian Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canadian Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canadian Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Canadian Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Well im 6'2'' and at 180 pounds morning weight and i've noticed that for fat burning and building muscle lifting every day along with daily cardio and a great diet is great.

Now when all that fat gets burnt off and HEAVY lifting starts less could be more.

Im at the point right now where i can do upper one day and lower the next and see great results.

IMHO it's all about diet and rest.

I do my morning cardio right after a shake and every time i lift i make damn sure that withing 20-30 minutes i get in a shake and some chicken/tuna and some good veggies.

IMHO if you don't follow a STRICT daily diet you metabolism gets all messed up and you don't get there any faster.

Like cheat days for instance. Chips/pizza/beer...sheet like that is a NO NO NO trust me i know this and battled it for a while.

If a person gets there 2 grams protien per body pound and at the right time along with healthy veggies and other good foods posative to lifting/cutting like peanut butter, fish, chicken and nuts n stuff it really helps.

Also one thing i have learned is when you do a lifting session you need to work ALL those muscle groups for that area NOT JUST REGULAR CRAP.

Im going hard core myself and doing some serious mental/physical discipline and in 6 months time i will be cut like MAD and in a year from now i will be at 200-205 with 8-10 bf.

Feed your mind, body and soul and you will be fine

My 0.02

The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Pope is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Personally I find that 5 days a week, but low volume works for me. I personally follow Max-OT style training and I've seen better gains than any other program I've used. It is considerably lower volume than what I used to do, though, which was workouts designed by my high school lifting coach, which was largely 3x10-12.
    "I hear that France have raised their Terror alert level from 'Hide' to 'Run away'!"-Neil_I