mrkjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Need some help with post work out shake

Hey guys, just starting on the optimum anabolics program, and I need a little assistance with my post work out shake.

Heres the requirements that I'm looking for:

44.25g Protein (got this one sorted with Whey powder, that's sweet as)
    100g of High G.I carbohydrates. (this is where I'm stumped)
    30 grams of fat (naturally I'm looking to avoid saturated/trans, and moving towards mono-un & poly-un omega 6)

I have little idea how I'm gonna get 100g of high G.I. carbs into my post work out shake, and similarly with the fats, I can't really imagine pouring olive oil into the mix hahaha.

So this is really where I need assistance, I need some suggestions as to ingredients to add to my shake in order to meet the above requirements. Not really looking for a lecture on why this combonation is good/bad/wrong, just after some good hard knowledge on ingredients that could make this post work out shake a reality.

In fact, I guess it doesn't even need to be in a shake, just transportable enough for fit into my backpack, something cheap and affordable, don't really give a shi*t about the taste so long as I get the:
    - 100grams of high G.I carbs
    - 30grams of (non sat, non trans) fats.

Cheers in advance
    J

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    100 g high GI carbs + 30 g fat = fat bastard
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

Okay I really wanted to avoid the whole good/bad/wrong.
    Soley after practical advice on ingredients which would get me to these targets.

However, if it's gonna get me passed this brick-wall of 'stupid idea' then I'll throw this quote in here:

Originally Posted by Jeff
    There is, in fact, one instance when you can actually BENEFIT from consuming
    high-glycemic carbohydrates. IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOUR WORKOUT, your
    body will be extremely DEPLETED of muscle glycogen that it used for fueling the intense demand you just placed on them.
    The resulting spike in glucose molecules from eating HIGH-GLYCEMIC CARBS
    is immediately snatched up by your thirsty muscles for storage as replaced
    glycogen and PREVENTS catabolism. Since the glucose is used up right away,
    your body WON?T experience the insulin spike normally associated with highglycemic carbs, so you DON?T have to worry about fat storage.
    Yeah, sorry if that's just gonna throw up more controversy or debate, that's not what I'm after. Does anyone know how I could get 100 grams of High G.I carbs & 30 grams of mono/poly unsaturated fats into a portable meal/shake?
    Last edited by mrkjs; 12-18-2007 at 02:53 AM.

BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BuffMister has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dude, some breakfast cereals like Coco Pops have a Hi Gi. or you can throw some mashed potatoes into a container and eat them (there not bad cold)........and also throw some Avocado is the potatoe as well for your fats about 200g of avocado should be about your 30g of fat..........Hope that helps

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll throw this out there for consideration ...

Do post-exercise carbs actually help?

Depending on what the training regimen is like, a good dose of Leucine + whey hydrolysate will go along way ... With the exception of rapid glycogen repletion, the other needs (insulin stimulation, halt catabolism, protein synthesis, etc...) can be met without gorging on carbs after.

There are both an insulin dependant and insulin independant pathway to protein synthesis. They are synergistic and there is an additive effect. A small increase in insulin + a high level of amino acids is more anabolic than either alone.

Regarding glycogen... if your training is typified by 1 hour sessions once per day, straight sets, low reps, long rest periods, then you're not going to be putting much drain on your glycogen. If your training is the complete opposite of this - longer 90+ min sessions, no straight sets - all supersets, giant sets, drop sets, extended TUT, and short rest periods, this will put a larger drain on your glycogen. Multiple sessions per day will as well.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is what I use for my PWO shake and it works great for me. Tastes great and is filling

1-2 Scoops ON Chocolate Whey Protein
    1/2 cup oats
    1 medium banana
    10-12 ounces of milk

Mix in a blender until smooth and creamy
    Only Those Who Risk Going Too Far Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go

Forever Cutting (My Road to 10%):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163945981

BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You don't need high GI carbs PWO. The studies done in that respect were done on fasted, aerobic endurance athletes, who deplete glycogen much more than a well-fed, anaerobic weight lifter. MAYBE a small amount of high GI carbs (10-20g), but you don't need 100g. Go for oats or bananas or something instead IMO.

eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're looking for an inexpensive insulin spike PWO, the easiest way I know of is to add a 50/50 blend of maltodextrin and dextrose to your workout shake... is that what you were looking for? You can read about it here: http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/bigpost.htm http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr114.htm

(as well as many other place on BB's supersite and forum)

I really recommend the 50/50 blend rather than 100% maltodextrin.. that stuff is really sweet and will change the flavor of your shake a bit.

Also, a PWO insulin spike is a controversial topic... People go back and forth on saying it's good for you vs. it's unnecessary (as long as you fueled your muscles before workout). Make sure you're informed about both views.
    /
    -----> If something I said amused, informed, or entertained you, click that white scale-ish icon doohickey on the left. Reps are appreciated, and I rep back! <-----

owe reps to: <your name here>

Great, thanks for all the advice guys, this has put me on the track a little more! That article by Christopher Mohr was a real reinforcement.
    Cheers
    J
    Last edited by mrkjs; 12-18-2007 at 01:32 PM.