Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 6'4", 228 lbs
    BodyPoints: 168
    niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) niceasey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit niceasey's BodySpace

Does heat destroy whey?

Simple question does heat destroy whey protein.

I'm rather fond of porridge and was wondering if throwing in a couple of scoops of whey and then cooking it will damage the structure of the protein?

Regards,

Nick
    http://www.myspace.com/nicholaseasey

Stats: 6'3", 271 lbs
    dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit dropxxzone's BodySpace
    It denatures it, but doesn't completely destroy it. I throw a scoop of whey in coffee sometimes.

Your best bet is to add the whey after you cook the porrage, to minimize the denaturing.

BodyPoints: 860
    uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit uber_buff's BodySpace
    so if i was to make biscuits cooked on a high heat i would fully deystroy the whey protein?
    supps

cell biolgy whey
    muscle tab

Stats: 6'3", 271 lbs
    dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000) dropxxzone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit dropxxzone's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by uber_buff
    so if i was to make biscuits cooked on a high heat i would fully deystroy the whey protein?
    I guess if you cook it slow on lower heat (Ie: making your own protein bars) it will preserve the protein more.

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    BodyPoints: 25832
    TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TinyMan has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TinyMan's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by uber_buff
    No, it will not destroy the whey protein. Denaturing means that the structure of the whey starts to unfold (breaking of weak bonds within the structure). Because of this, it will be less biologically active, but probably the most noticable effect is that it becomes much more 'stiff.' Whenever I try cooking with it, I can certainly tell the difference in texture. However, the protein itself is not destroyed - if you put in 30g of protein, you get 30g out.

Cooking at a lower temperature may help reduce the effects of the denaturing, but whey protein is not very stable on it's own, and will denature quickly. I'd be more concerned with the texture of your baking, rather than the effects of heating whey.

Tinyman
    I remember being relevant.

The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit The Doc's BodySpace
    Milk properties/proteins are heat sensitive, particularly at temperatures above 70 C/158 F, so if you want to add them to your oats or other hot foods do it right before eating them. You can also use any No-Bake recipe you like, just add in the protein powder amount you desire, for example:

No-Bake Cheese Cake:

1 Cup boiling water
    1/2 -1 package (1/4 ounce size) Unflavored Gelatin
    1/8-1/4 Cup Splenda (you can add 1/8, taste the filling then adjust)
    1 Cup Lowfat Cottage Cheese
    1 Cup fresh fruit pieces, low-fat caramel sauce or lowfat chocolate sauce
    4-6 scoops of protein powder
    1 (9 inch) low fat graham cracker pie crust

Stir boiling water into gelatin in small bowl 2 to 3 minutes or until completely dissolved; cool below 140 F. Pour into blender container. Add cottage cheese and protein powder; cover. Blend until smooth; pour over crust.

Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Arrange fruit on top of cheesecake or pour sauce over individual slices when served. Garnish with thawed fat-free whipped topping.

No Bake Oatmeal Cookies:

2 cups Splenda
    4 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2/3 cup milk
    3/4-1 cup peanut butter
    6-8 scoops protein powder
    3 cups oats

Bring the first 4 ingredients to a boil and remove from heat and let coo to 140. Add peanut butter, protein powder and oats; mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let cool until set.

The Doc
    I do not have an M.D. or a Ph.D., Doc is a nickname, please don't ask me about your personal itching.

BodyPoints: 860
    uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000) uber_buff is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit uber_buff's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by TinyMan
    No, it will not destroy the whey protein. Denaturing means that the structure of the whey starts to unfold (breaking of weak bonds within the structure). Because of this, it will be less biologically active, but probably the most noticable effect is that it becomes much more 'stiff.' Whenever I try cooking with it, I can certainly tell the difference in texture. However, the protein itself is not destroyed - if you put in 30g of protein, you get 30g out.

Tinyman
    cool because ive made the non cooking bars and there pretty sloppy or sticky but very filing.Im going to try a baked biscute next time.I may even try those non baked oatmeat cookies.
    ive only been working out for a few months and im only just getting into all the bulking diet stuff and i find it hard to eat heaps of food so i need these calorie dense cookies or bars
    supps

cell biolgy whey
    muscle tab

The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) The Doc has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit The Doc's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by TinyMan

Cooking at a lower temperature may help reduce the effects of the denaturing, but whey protein is not very stable on it's own, and will denature quickly. I'd be more concerned with the texture of your baking, rather than the effects of heating whey.

Tinyman
    When a protein is denatured, the molecule's tertiary structure is corrupted. This disruption affects the molecule's secondary (helical) structure without altering its primary structure. In other words, denaturation does not break any of the primary chemical bonds that link one amino acid to another but it changes the way the protein folds in upon itself. Denaturation occurs when proteins are exposed to strong acids or bases, high concentrations of inorganic salts, or organic solvents such as alcohol. In addition, heat or irradiation can cause denaturation. When the three-dimensional structure of the protein is disrupted, the molecule's biological activity is affected. Therefore, enzymes do not have the same catalytic function when they are denatured.

Denaturation can have many detrimental side effects. In biological systems, denatured proteins can result in illness or even death. In fact protein denaturation is linked to many diseases such as prion encephalopathies, Alzheimer's disease and dementias.

As for the stiffening, that's the result of the denatured proteins. It's gelling like pudding or jello because it's denatured. I think we all know how bio-available jello is compared to protein powder .

The Doc
    I do not have an M.D. or a Ph.D., Doc is a nickname, please don't ask me about your personal itching.

Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jackadise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I dont know about the whey but it make the ASPARTAME in it taste like CRAP!

Mix it with cool coffee or DIET Continental choc soy milk, yummy in my tummy!
    ****Don't forget, Good Reps For Good Posts!****

Stats: 6'3", 242 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2494
    8am8am is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit 8am8am's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Jackadise
    I dont know about the whey but it make the ASPARTAME in it taste like CRAP!

Mix it with cool coffee or DIET Continental choc soy milk, yummy in my tummy!

yes and if you had oatmeal tp you're chocolat soy milk it's even better !!!!

Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Timr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by The Doc
    When a protein is denatured, the molecule's tertiary structure is corrupted. This disruption affects the molecule's secondary (helical) structure without altering its primary structure. In other words, denaturation does not break any of the primary chemical bonds that link one amino acid to another but it changes the way the protein folds in upon itself. Denaturation occurs when proteins are exposed to strong acids or bases, high concentrations of inorganic salts, or organic solvents such as alcohol. In addition, heat or irradiation can cause denaturation. When the three-dimensional structure of the protein is disrupted, the molecule's biological activity is affected. Therefore, enzymes do not have the same catalytic function when they are denatured.

Denaturation can have many detrimental side effects. In biological systems, denatured proteins can result in illness or even death. In fact protein denaturation is linked to many diseases such as prion encephalopathies, Alzheimer's disease and dementias.

As for the stiffening, that's the result of the denatured proteins. It's gelling like pudding or jello because it's denatured. I think we all know how bio-available jello is compared to protein powder .

The Doc
    I think I'd listen to that guy. When someone has ten times the amount of rep power as actual posts, you know they must be doing something right.
    ~ 01/01/02 ~
    Weight: 265lb
    Height: 182cm (6"0)
    Bodyfat: Frightening

~ 01/01/03 ~
    Weight: 155lb
    Bodyfat: 10%

~ 03/12/05 ~
    Weight: 195lb
    Bodyfat: 15%

"Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you insult them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

nebuchadnezzar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Timr View Post
    I think I'd listen to that guy. When someone has ten times the amount of rep power as actual posts, you know they must be doing something right.
    Denaturation does not cause harmful side effects in digestion. We can heat up eggs, milk, and any other foods with protein. It denatures them, but we can still digest and use them. I don't think The Doc was saying that they are harmful to eat.

Stats: 5'8", 162 lbs
    stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) stevesteves is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit stevesteves's BodySpace
    does the same thing happen to casein?

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) sawoobley has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit sawoobley's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by niceasey View Post
    Simple question does heat destroy whey protein.

I'm rather fond of porridge and was wondering if throwing in a couple of scoops of whey and then cooking it will damage the structure of the protein?

Regards,

Nick
    It doesn't really matter what happens to the protein structure. During digestion you have peptidases that break the proteins down into amino acids and they get taken up in the intestine and then enter the bloodstream. Proteins generally don't make it into the bloodstream. If they did they could trigger an immune reaction.

Stats: 5'6", 153 lbs
    mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mannydawg has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit mannydawg's BodySpace
    Nice 6 year bump...

Stats: 6'0", 170 lbs
    Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Superclubby is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Superclubby's BodySpace
    I'd don't muck around with making bars I just scoop the powder straight into my mouth

Stats: 175 lbs
    brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brotatorcuff has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit brotatorcuff's BodySpace
    ^nice 7 year bump