Prince of the Night ~Aleyquala~'s Avatar
    ~Aleyquala~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~Aleyquala~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

-Questions of Bulk, Cut, Exercises, and Lifts-

Hello, fellow teenage and adult bodybuilders.

The name's Aleyquala (that isn't my real name; my real name is Anthony), although for shorter terms, you can refer to me as Aley. Same and somewhat simple to remember, no? Before I ask my questions, let me provide the basic information of myself; I am fourteen years old, roughly 5"8, and 145.5lbs.

Now, my first question is about the basic concept of bulk and what does it actually do? I have read nearly all of the articles here, although I need to understand bulk and cut in simplier terms. The sentences are somewhat confusing and they jumble up in my mind, so could somebody briefly explain what bulking and cutting does when you are training? I am pretty sure that I need to gain some weight, although I first need to lost the crazy fat that is around my stomach, legs, and arms.

My next questions is about exercises and lifts. I want to work on my arms, chest, and abdominal muscules, but I was wondering if I should first focus on doing cardio to lose the fat, then start exercising and lifting weights to increase the "hardness" and tone of my muscules, or should I be applying both within a 3-5 day limit? Also, to help strength and shape the muscules, what exercise(s) should I do to help this? Again, I have read the articles, but I need a more clear, brief explanation instead of bewildering statements.

Also, would eating the minimum-maximum calories actually help lose the fat faster? I have Type 1 Diabetes, so I pretty much have a great diet planned out and everything, drinking basically 32oz of milk every day (8oz per meal), fruits, vegetables, meats, breads, pastas, fish, and so on and so forth. My diet was set up by a specialized diabetic Dietician, so that department is pretty much taken care of. But, I do eat other things as well, like pizza for dinner (occassionally), but I still get my other healthy necessities to make it a balanced meal. Should I actually cut down my calories, or at least keep track of how many I have each day, so I can help my body lose the fat?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by ~Aleyquala~; 10-24-2005 at 06:21 PM.

Getting Bigger Every Day GetBuff_DieTryn's Avatar
    GetBuff_DieTryn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBuff_DieTryn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ~Aleyquala~
    Now, my first question is about the basic concept of bulk and what does it actually do?
    Bulking is about gaining lean mass with as little bodyfat as possible
    Cutting is losing bodyfat in order to look more defined while trying to keep muscle

need to gain some weight, although I first need to lost the crazy fat that is around my stomach, legs, and arms.
    I dont think there is site specific weight loss...

My next questions is about exercises and lifts. I want to work on my arms, chest, and abdominal muscules, but I was wondering if I should first focus on doing cardio to lose the fat, then start exercising and lifting weights to increase the "hardness" and tone of my muscules, or should I be applying both within a 3-5 day limit? Also, to help strength and shape the muscules, what exercise(s) should I do to help this? Again, I have read the articles, but I need a more clear, brief explanation instead of bewildering statements.
    First off, work out all your muscles, dont just pick some. Lots of people make that mistake when starting bbing, like all those guys that just work out their guns. You can and probably should do both lifting and cardio, just give time to rest in between, ive heard 6 hours. for exercises, go here:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Also, would eating the minimum-maximum calories actually help lose the fat faster? I have Type 1 Diabetes, so I pretty much have a great diet planned out and everything, drinking basically 32oz of milk every day (8oz per meal), fruits, vegetables, meats, breads, pastas, fish, and so on and so forth. My diet was set up by a specialized diabetic Dietician, so that department is pretty much taken care of. But, I do eat other things as well, like pizza for dinner (occassionally), but I still get my other healthy necessities to make it a balanced meal. Should I actually cut down my calories, or at least keep track of how many I have each day, so I can help my body lose the fat?
    Take out the pizza, just eat clean until you lose some of that body fat.

~Aleyquala~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ~Aleyquala~ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh, I was wondering what bulking and cutting was. I had that idea, somewhat, although I won't say what I originally thought both were. ^.^;

So from the brief sentence of cutting, I think that's what I need to do. But anyways, I do know about working all of the muscules and not actually specifically working on some exclusively. I was trying to say that I want to mainly focus on the three, but work all over. It'd be weird to have specific muscular parts on a body, making it look uneven and a bit sickening. o.O Yeah, I will just eat nice and clean until I get my body fat down (applying cardio, too, oh course), so thank you for your help and time.

Now, what exercises are used to help the chest? I've heard about these "Bench Presses" or whatever they are called, but is that the simpliest exercise to do when exercising the chest area? I'm asking way too many questions. ;.; Thanks again.

GetBuff_DieTryn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GetBuff_DieTryn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh, I was wondering what bulking and cutting was. I had that idea, somewhat, although I won't say what I originally thought both were. ^.^;

So from the brief sentence of cutting, I think that's what I need to do. But anyways, I do know about working all of the muscules and not actually specifically working on some exclusively. I was trying to say that I want to mainly focus on the three, but work all over. It'd be weird to have specific muscular parts on a body, making it look uneven and a bit sickening. o.O Yeah, I will just eat nice and clean until I get my body fat down (applying cardio, too, oh course), so thank you for your help and time.

Now, what exercises are used to help the chest? I've heard about these "Bench Presses" or whatever they are called, but is that the simpliest exercise to do when exercising the chest area? I'm asking way too many questions. ;.; Thanks again.
    Yes, bench press, incline, decline, and any type of flyes are good for chest.
    Rep Me, You Know You Want To

Also, you should take some pictures for later comparison. I wouldnt suggest posting them if your just starting, every1 gets flamed here. Keep them for then/now pics later.

Oh, I'm way ahead of you on that. I've been looking at photos concering comparisons, and some with just beginning starting results, and the threads weren't very pretty. Now, another question; if you want to lose fat / lower your body fat, would that technically be considered as cutting?

Oh, I'm way ahead of you on that. I've been looking at photos concering comparisons, and some with just beginning starting results, and the threads weren't very pretty. Now, another question; if you want to lose fat / lower your body fat, would that technically be considered as cutting?
    yes, that is exactly what cutting is.
    Add me to your buddy list if you like.

Oh, okay. Now I have the basis of cutting downpacked. Thanks again.

More answers would also be appreciated, with comments and suggestions. I don't have black teeth of malevolence, that'll tear into your skin and carve around your spine. I have gold fangs. 8D

PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Basically, don't cut before you put at least 30 more pounds on the frame unless you are already really fat which I suppose you aren't a 5'8 145 pounds
    Strength And Honor

''It's a lifestyle, not a 2 month project'' - Pu12en12g about bodybuilding

***PYF: The Immortal Journey***

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1522281

Oh, so you are suggesting that I should gain some pounds? I thought that I would be fine trying to lower my body fat percentage, and then strengthening my muscles so it adds to my weight. But, I should first gain before I start cutting?

PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PYF is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Oh, so you are suggesting that I should gain some pounds? I thought that I would be fine trying to lower my body fat percentage, and then strengthening my muscles so it adds to my weight. But, I should first gain before I start cutting?
    Being you, I would bulk before
    Strength And Honor

Oh, so is there any possible way that I can gain about 10-15 pounds without also gaining/increasing the percentage of my bodyfat? "Bulking" wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I think that it would be too much of a problem.

CrazyIndian08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you will lose some of that fat while your bulking. you will be replacing the fat with muscle, which weighs more than fat.

Originally Posted by CrazyIndian08
    you will lose some of that fat while your bulking. you will be replacing the fat with muscle, which weighs more than fat.
    I learnt something new today. Life is graceful. ^_^

Now I think I have bulking downpacked. So, when doing this, I should eat completely healthy and clean, not eating from fastfood restaurants or any high-fat foods? I do manage to throw in fastfood like once or twice a week, although I do try to balance out the meal by also eating fruit, vegetables, and drinking water and milk (and sugar-tree Tropicana ORANGEade.) Now, is there any time period of how long this would take?

When your bulking eat alot, but make sure its clean. Also, when you eat go and eat fast food try order a little bit healthier with a salad or somethin without too much fat, and mayb order smaller sizes. You don't have to go for the LARGE everytime.

Oh okay, thanks for the help, CrazyIndian! I really appreciate it. Now I have a new approach before I begin my quest - to gain some pounds. I see why my sister wanted me to gain some pounds. o.o; Strange coincidence.

Thanks again. Any more suggestions?

Unfortunably, you don't know what you'Re talking about

You can't gain muscle while losing fat unless you have dorian yates genetics or rely heavily on ''science
    Strength And Honor

i just meant you'll be losing fat and building muscle. Not that they are actually replacing each other. If thats what you're complaining about?

i just meant you'll be losing fat and building muscle. Not that they are actually replacing each other. If thats what you're complaining about?
    You can't lose fat WHILE building muscle or the opposite. (It'S HARD, need mad genetics or mad ''supplementation'')
    Strength And Honor

Oh, so I would have to first focus on losing fat before starting to gain muscle? Because now I am starting to become a bit confused. o.o