e46_m3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pre surgery diet plan

One week today I am going into hospital to have a gastric bypass operation - as part of the preparation I have been told I need to go on a very strict diet to make the surgery easier but the sample diet plan is a bit vague and bland and I am wondering if anyone can help me to possibly replace some of the items with other things? I have included the whole sheet below which I was given - the main thing from it is to have a diet which is low in starch and sugar to help reduce the amount of glycogen in the liver. Additionally pre op I am going to have to have a bowel preparation so for that reason as well as the other obvious ones low fat is important too.

Can anyone offer some guidance? What foods not mentioned below are low in starch, sugar and fat? Should I be trying to avoid any particular food types or groups?

Thank you

------------------

It is essential to follow a strict diet the week before your surgery. This helps to make the liver smaller making the surgery easier.

By following a strict diet your body uses up its glycogen stores. Glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscle for energy. With each ounce of glycogen the body stores it stores 3 to 4 ounces of water. When you follow a very strict diet, especially one that is low in starch and sugar, your body uses it glycogen stores for energy. As a result the liver shrinks as it has less glycogen and water.

This diet is only recommended for the week before surgery and is not to be followed through afterwards. You may find that you lose a lot of weight that week but it will be mainly water loss. Please make sure that you continue to drink throughout the day.

SAMPLE MENU

BREAKFAST

Small bowl of cereal OR 1 slice of toast with scraping of margarine

LUNCH

1 slice of bread OR 2 crisp breads
    Salad OR tomatoes (no dressing)
    Small portion of meat, fish or cheese OR 2 eggs

DINNER

1 small potato OR 2 tablespoons of pasta / rice / vegetables
    Small portion of meat, fish, cheese, eggs, quorn OR a tofu dish

Additional:

1/3 pint of milk thoughout the day for drinks and cereals
    Two portions of fruit e.g. apple, pear, banana, orange
    Water, tea, coffee, low calorie squash, low calorie fizzy drinks all allowed freely but no more than one glass of fruit juice per day
    1 low fat/low sugar yoghurt OR fromage frais per day