Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    The Purple People Eater The Viking's Avatar
    The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Does anyone know the average strength of the average people?

Just wondering if they ever took any polls or statistical information on the average strength of people.

If so, please do tell.

If not, what do you all think? How much do you think the average person can bench, squat, deadlift, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Celticfan- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by The Viking
    Just wondering if they ever took any polls or statistical information on the average strength of people.

If so, please do tell.

If not, what do you all think? How much do you think the average person can bench, squat, deadlift, etc?

Thanks in advance.
    average untrained? definitely under their bodyweight for bench press, maybe around BW for squat and DL (depending on how heavy they r ).

average trained in my gym? bench 90kg, squat, 130kg, deadlift: 130kg.

not many guys powerlift or show that much strength

Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have heard the average bench untrained male bench press is around 60kg = 132lbs. However, that sounds a little high to me, a lot of first time benchers seem to max around 45kg = 100lbs.

Squat and deadlift, I have no idea. IMO they are more functional exercises than bench though, so being "real life" strong would impact them more.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    130 pounds. That's pathetic. I benched that when I was 13. I mean even with crappy genetics, you should bench more than a 6'th grade kid. I guess that just shows how out of shape people let themselves get.
    "When other people drink my drink, that means I'm not drinking my drink, and that's f-cking bull****."-NugzTheNinja

300x1, 225x10 bench

Powerlifting Goals
    315 bench
    300x10 squat
    375x10 deadlift
    405 squat
    500 deadlift
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=349412&page=3[/url]

The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wow, thats very "little". I was talking about this with a couple friends, and I had originally thought the average person could bench 200 lbs or so, or at least his own weight. However, my friends were all completely against this.

Heh, any more comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs down Grip strength? Nope!

I know what the average grip strength of a American normal adult male is - and it sucks.

Actually, the grip strength of the average American stinks. AMERICANS CAN'T GRIP CRAP!!!!.

For example, I took my IronMind Trainer to work with me one day to see what my fellow co-workers could do with it. They couldn't do jack s**t with it!!

Out of about 100 people, only 4 of them could close it and one of those people was my own sister (no grip training whatsoever).

I have my 12 year old niece grip training and she KILLS the Trainer, which tells me the average person could gain some grip strength if they worked for it. Sadly, I would say 98% of them won't.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossnianBull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    average man benches 60kg

three legs at a time. TheBlasterMan's Avatar
    TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i weigh 113 and put up 115 the other day, yea my bench sucks, but im improving it, i think its good for being over my body weight.

powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I remember hearing one time on a TV show that i think 3%percent of america can bench 300lbs and 1% percent of america has a six pack, i know thats not the average strength for the average person, but i thought that was intersting,hence the reason i am posting it.Although i must say i dunno if 3% can bench 300lbs thats quite alot of weight.

Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know tons of people with 6 pack abs. I only know a handful who can bench 300. Soon I will be in both groups though. Boy, a year of consistant lifting can make a big difference.
    "When other people drink my drink, that means I'm not drinking my drink, and that's f-cking bull****."-NugzTheNinja

300x1, 225x10 bench

Powerlifting Goals
    315 bench
    300x10 squat
    375x10 deadlift
    405 squat
    500 deadlift
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=349412&page=3[/url]

Wow.. well, its good to know I'm stronger than the average person...

And what age ranges are these? I find it hard to believe that a 25 year old man (considering he doesn't eat junk all day, has a slightly active lifestyle, etc) can't bench more than 130 lbs...

Or maybe the really really weak people just brought down the average..

Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    well if you think about it, benching doesn't have much to do with "real life" strength. there really isn't any job that works the same muscles required to bench press. My dad for example is a farmer and works with his hands all the time. The other day he came down to our basement and I wanted to see how much he could bench. he is 5'8" 170 and he doesn't have much fat on him. He could barely bench 145. He could curl 120 though, because he uses his biceps quite a bit on the farm. Bench muscles are rarely used outside of the weightroom.
    max bench 325X1 315 Video ( http://www.youtube.com/user/jbrink2007?feature=chclk#p/u/0/kKFFPplNQ4c )
    max squat 380X1
    max deadlift 465X1
    DL 420 vid from a long time ago ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZkRDZPBm4w )

Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow.. well, its good to know I'm stronger than the average person...

And what age ranges are these? I find it hard to believe that a 25 year old man (considering he doesn't eat junk all day, has a slightly active lifestyle, etc) can't bench more than 130 lbs...

Or maybe the really really weak people just brought down the average..
    A 25-year-old man who doesn't eat junk all day and has a slightly active lifestyle is not the average adult male, for starters. Second, unless you specifically train it, there aren't many activities in every day life that work your bench muscles.
    "There is no room for failure now. The innocent must die."

Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wish I'd maxed out when I first started lifting, but my guess is I'd have been lucky to put up 130lbs. My guess is about 110lbs.

I really think if you don't train bench, you'll have a ****ty bench, as there's not much carry over from real life. Say you take a guy who moves furniture for a living and has done for 10 years. I bet if you take them to a gym for the first time ever, they'd have a respectable deadlift, front squat, shrug and shoulder press. Probably a decent grip too. But I'd be surprised if they could bench 200lbs.

EDIT Ok, now everyone else has pointed this out. Sorry.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

Ah, I get where you all are coming from. Makes sense.

Is loving box squats! Lean_and_Mean's Avatar
    Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The average man can only do 27 pushups lol. I can do 50, on my fingers!
    6'1" 230 pounds of wannabee powerlifter

Check out my sweet journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1011911

DanUCF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I started lifting at 18 I had a 105lb bench and a 120lb squat. lol

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by need4muscle
    well if you think about it, benching doesn't have much to do with "real life" strength. there really isn't any job that works the same muscles required to bench press. My dad for example is a farmer and works with his hands all the time. The other day he came down to our basement and I wanted to see how much he could bench. he is 5'8" 170 and he doesn't have much fat on him. He could barely bench 145. He could curl 120 though, because he uses his biceps quite a bit on the farm. Bench muscles are rarely used outside of the weightroom.
    I would say the bicep is still a mirror muscle.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

Fighting Round the world! Lifeforce's Avatar
    Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When I started out I squatted 80 lbs and benched 66 for reps @ 132 lbs
    Rebuilding the ruins... stone by stone

Weight: 95 kg (209 lbs)
    Military Presses: 8x60 kg (132 lbs)
    Bent over rows: 6x100 kg (220 lbs)
    Bench: 8x85 kg (187 lbs)
    ATG Squat: 8x140 kg (308 lbs)
    Deadlift 5x150 kg (330 lbs)

uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i could half ass bench 50kg the first time i tried when i was 16, was upto 100kg at 17 now 150kg at 20 and im good for more soon.all drug free. does depend on if they are actually trained or just brought in off the street
    Squat:200kg
    Bench:155kg
    Deadlift:250kg
    drugs are baaad

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    The average person? I think you first need to define what the average person is, how heavy, how old, his job, ...

The people i've trained: (in kg's)

bw: 54-56 kg: 50-60//35-40//80-90
    bw: 60-65 kg: 60-65//35-40//80-90
    bw: 71kg : 70-80//40-45//90-100

It's all x2.2 to get it in pounds, and all of them were between 16 and 17 years old. That's about the average for them. Bench seemed to be hard for most, i've even trained females who could bench that as easy as they could. Squatting is not so much about leg strenght but about core strenght, too much shaking around. Deadlift well besides a form that didn't pass in my book they could get those weights off the floor and locked out.

Bodyweight is an issue, previous sports done is an issue and incase you work your work is definatly an issue.

Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darracq is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by need4muscle

I went to a bench contest and there was an old guy in his 60`s he was a farmer in his bib overalls. He benched 275 i was very supprised. He was a pretty big guy though

This is Absolution! AmateurWrestler's Avatar
    AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    when i started lifting i could only do about 100 lbs, and i was almost 16. boy genetics can be gay sometimes, i was a tiny little thing. but yes, i do believe the adult untrained male is 130-135 lbs or so.
    "Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom."

- Viktor Frankl, Austrian Psychiatrist and survivor of a Nazi concentration camp

"Nothing can resist the human will that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."

- Benjamin Disraeli

sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sciff5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First time I benched I was 14 and I did big 25lb plates on either side for a total of 95lbs. It didnt nessecarily feel heavy but my joints kind of ached if I went any heavier. I dont know about you guys but I can remember the first time I do a lift usually my joints dont feel good. As they got used to it that uncomfort went away.
    All Natural From Day 1

NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First time I maxed out was 8th grade. Bench 165, squat 290, inclined 110, and powerclean 135. I did weigh 175 at the time, but I was only 14.
    6' 260lbs
    Squat: 270 Kg(595 lbs)
    Bench: 165 Kg(364 lbs)
    Dead: 245 Kg(540 lbs)
    Total: 680 Kg(1499 lbs)

'06 Goals:
    300, 200, 300 for an 800kg total
    Get back to 242lb class

Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    When I started out lifting 115lbs on Bench and 255lbs on squat lol my freinds first time maxing was pretty much second time he ever lifted on squat he did 355lbs it was halirous and yes he did full squat
    Weight:210lbs been here for awhile now
    Bench:250lbs
    Squat:3?? havent maxed yet but I know its in 300's
    Deadlift:3?? havent maxed on this either its in 300's

Ah, I see. Thanks everyone. First time I benched, I maxed at 130 lbs.

Anyway, one question, this strength stuff IS partly genetic correct? I sparred with a friend back in 8th grade, and his punch hurt like crazy; best jab I've been hit with. According to him, he didnt workout at all. I don't know his bench, but I would assume its not at all low.

SO would you say some people are just genetically "stronger"?

ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ScruffNeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yes, it's an absolute fact, that some people are genetically stronger.
    "Being isolated, like a strength training version of the Galapagos Islands, gave (Steve) Justa the freedom to experiment, without being tainted by conventional training dogma, and come out with his own unique theories - based on what worked for him"....Review of "Rock Iron Steel".... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9imkPHCtqwk

I will break you. KING_OF_SQUAT's Avatar
    KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Radok
    130 pounds. That's pathetic. I benched that when I was 13. I mean even with crappy genetics, you should bench more than a 6'th grade kid. I guess that just shows how out of shape people let themselves get.

= dude... not everyone is born strong. your telling me that you can only do 35-40 pounds more than when you were 13 after that many years of training?

lighten up on people i maxed at 95 a year and 1/2 ago, now benching 180= my BW... lighten up. not flaming.

sorry to interrupt... for teens- around 110-120 lbs. adults 135-150 sounds about right.

KS
    Deos fortioribus adesse.

Welders lift more metal.

Anyway, one question, this strength stuff IS partly genetic correct?

Yes, of course. Most people could *never* be world class strength athletes, no matter how hard they trained and how much steroids they took. Some people are naturally strong and some are naturally weak. The good news is, any healthy person, no matter how crappy their genetics, can make themselves strong.