Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I remember one time when i was in school (grade 9 or 10), and we were doing a weight training unit in gym class, and i tried to bench 135 lbs, but I couldn't do it.

But this was when i was about 15 years old and didnt work out.

4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by The Viking
    Just wondering if they ever took any polls or statistical information on the average strength of people.

If so, please do tell.

If not, what do you all think? How much do you think the average person can bench, squat, deadlift, etc?

Thanks in advance.
    Ehh, its about average...
    The internet is equalled only by public education and network news in its ability to spread disinformation at an alarming rate...

Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When I started training with free weights at 13 I could only do a max of 75 lbs on bench. When I was younger I usedthe Firm Flex (in 5th grade, got presidential on my physical fitness test, mean while i had only got participation in 5th grade; the middle is national), so I wasn't completely untrained either. When I first started lifting way back in around the 4th grade, I remember my father had two 25 lb dumbbells and would military press one of them with both hands for a few reps. I would sneak it because my father thought I was too young to lift. Ah, the good old days, I always wondered where I would be at now and I am going to have to keep up my insane training so I don't let myself down in the future.

So anyway, I weighed probably double that or somewhere around there and 75 wasn't that easy. I built my strength up to around 115-120 before I stopped lifting (maybe once every few months) for about 2 years before I finally came to this site and my true lifting journey began.

So yeah, 75 was my max and I was kind of big for my age and thats where I started.

Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dark Phoenix
    I would say the bicep is still a mirror muscle.
    Why? Have you ever done much real-life lifting and moving work? Have you moved furniture? Have you carried rocks, climbed trees, or loaded hay bails? If you had, I'm sure you'd find that biceps are actually much more functionally important muscles than chest or triceps.
    "There is no room for failure now. The innocent must die."

NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tormented
    Why? Have you ever done much real-life lifting and moving work? Have you moved furniture? Have you carried rocks, climbed trees, or loaded hay bails? If you had, I'm sure you'd find that biceps are actually much more functionally important muscles than chest or triceps.
    And if you're manning a whipsaw all day triceps and chest are just as important. Lets not get into one of those pissing matches.
    6' 260lbs
    Squat: 270 Kg(595 lbs)
    Bench: 165 Kg(364 lbs)
    Dead: 245 Kg(540 lbs)
    Total: 680 Kg(1499 lbs)

'06 Goals:
    300, 200, 300 for an 800kg total
    Get back to 242lb class

Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joaorv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bench press is the least sport specific, real world specific, day to day task specific exercise there is. It is not surprising that the average sedentary untrained adult wont be able to bench over 135 lbs first time. The progress will probably be quick once they start training though.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10) eazy_mas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    your qustion is too abroad

Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NewBlackDak
    And if you're manning a whipsaw all day triceps and chest are just as important. Lets not get into one of those pissing matches.
    Ok, I'm not saying triceps and chest aren't important, I just get annoyed by powerlifters saying biceps are only mirror muscles simply because they're not implicated in their primary lifts.

Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    most people are extremely weak in the deadlift, squat, bench and any other exercise you wanna name. the average man who doesnt train cant bench 100 pounds using strict form so i have heard. the only people who will be able to deadlift or squat a decent amount are furniture movers and any other guys who have very psychical jobs moving heavy stuff around... and even then, their lifts wont be anything amazing it'll just be very good by first time standards.

the bench press is very functional if you go around pushing people all day or go in a lot of mosh pits lol. but even then leg strength comes into it a lot... so i guess the push press is the best functional move there...
    hail murder. **** you.

Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memnoch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Considering the declining health of the average American and the soaring obesity numbers, I doubt that the average person has much strength at all. Bodyweight repping is unlikely.

However it's fitness which shows the greatest fall as cardio power is I'm sure very low amongst the average American.

Also the average gym user isn't that strong or fit as most of them don't know much about working out or having a proper diet. True strength is tied to the culture and in America It's getting more and more acceptable to be fat/weak/unfit.

The average Swedish male is bound to be stronger because their culture doesn't see the pursuit of physical strength as marginal or "weird". Thus they have some of the strongest people in the world over in the Northern European countries.
    BP-29/07/05 -305 -3/3/06 - 325 - 340
    SQ- 365 - 3/3//06 - 400 - 420
    DL- 400 - 425 - 435
    5' 10"
    191lbs - 3/3/06 180lbs - 185lbs

Good debaters -theredshirt, majortrepack,kalagan, big natural, JBDW, Syriankid, Icedragon etc

Moronic debaters list -Too many *sigh*

adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    teh original poster want stats
    here they are
    http://www.pipeline.com/~dada3zen/average.htm
    my blogs
    howigotripped.wordpress.com
    submissiongrappling.wordpress.com

Official Board Barbarian The Kurgan's Avatar
    The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Dark Phoenix
    I would say the bicep is still a mirror muscle.
    For a powerlifter or Olympic Lifter, maybe, but ask any Strongman whether they value large, muscular biceps or not. Of course, the same Strongman won't be seen doing 10 rep machine curls, either.
    "... like a spring storm in an eastern wind, retiring only to return with more fury."

- James Hogg

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would say the strength level of the average person is about average.

Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tank87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When I was 15 I remeber maxing out on bench at like 115 lol and squating maybe 100 for 10 reps. Sad thing is though I was on my varsity hs team lol and was laying people out. When I was 16 thats when I started lifting serously, I benched 135 like 6 times lol and squated 165 8 times, but let me tell you I dnt no what the hell I did but look at my stats in just about a year in a half of hard core training it seems like since then I been going up in weight everyweek and still am going strong!!
    HT- 6'2
    WT- 226

Bench- 385 1x
    A2g squat-440 1x
    Deadlift-535
    ALL RAW

Position- Weakside DE

al1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) al1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) al1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) al1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) al1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) al1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by adoniscomplex
    teh original poster want stats
    here they are
    http://www.pipeline.com/~dada3zen/average.htm
    I find it very hard to believe that the average untrained man can benchpress 180lbs. I can't benchpress 180lbs even after training for two years.

keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50) keepshruggin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Danimal
    I would say the strength level of the average person is about average.
    But how much does a pound of feathers weigh?

NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewBlackDak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by al1
    I find it very hard to believe that the average untrained man can benchpress 180lbs. I can't benchpress 180lbs even after training for two years.
    It also says the average man is ~175lbs. I would think most men in their 20's can bench their own bodyweight.
    6' 260lbs
    Squat: 270 Kg(595 lbs)
    Bench: 165 Kg(364 lbs)
    Dead: 245 Kg(540 lbs)
    Total: 680 Kg(1499 lbs)

'06 Goals:
    300, 200, 300 for an 800kg total
    Get back to 242lb class

Invictus180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My dad is in his early 40's and probably 6ft and about 235 lbs and doesnt work out but he benched 205 the other day for a rep, it suprised me. But i would say 135-165 being average bench. I have a home gym and alot of the time when alot of my friends are over we go get on the bench to see who can bench the most and the ones that dont work out never get above 165. actually only one of them has even gotten that. And there all in the 19-22 year old range.
    Last edited by Invictus180; 10-22-2005 at 11:38 PM.

GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GoB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When I started I was a buck 50 with these lifts:

B: 125 X 1
    S: 135 X 8
    D: 135 X 8
    "You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take." ~ Wayne Gretzky

Originally Posted by al1
    Did it say those numbers were average for untrained individuals? I thought it was average overall, including trained and untrained alike.

breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000)
    I could only benchpress 100 when I started. It wasn't as weak as it sounds cause I was 13 and only weighed 100.

I think the strongest person LB. for LB. I've seen who didn't work out was this guy I know he's 5'4" 130 lbs 22 yrs old. He deadlifted 305 with no warmup and he had torn his ACL 2 weeks before. He also has a 6'2'' arm span though. He benched 145 for 6 reps. My brother deadlifted 275x5@145 BW his second time deadlifting, now he does 500 at 160.

Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Entz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The average people at my school benchpressed was 30 to 50 fo reps for girls and 35 to 60 for reps for guys. THis is for those that didn't train though.

stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100) stout92 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by breathingmurder
    I could only benchpress 100 when I started. It wasn't as weak as it sounds cause I was 13 and only weighed 100.

I think the strongest person LB. for LB. I've seen who didn't work out was this guy I know he's 5'4" 130 lbs 22 yrs old. He deadlifted 305 with no warmup and he had torn his ACL 2 weeks before. He also has a 6'2'' arm span though. He benched 145 for 6 reps. My brother deadlifted 275x5@145 BW his second time deadlifting, now he does 500 at 160.
    i know a kid in highschool, he's 16 now. a year ago he was about 5'3" 110 lbs, but could bench 180, squat 265, and deadlift 315. He was a strong little guy who I tried to convince to go into powerlifting, but he became very lazy and is now about 5'3" 100 lbs, and hasnt lifted in 6 months.
    18 years old, 5'9" 180 lbs
    Squat-635(single ply)385x8(raw)
    Bench-295(raw)305(touch and go)
    Deadlift-490(raw, conv)405x8(raw)

Goals by September, 2008
    Squat-500(raw)
    Bench-315(raw)
    Deadlift-550(raw)

Cutting to 170
    May 4th-184 lbs
    May 18th-182 lbs
    June 2nd-180 lbs

MHSAA 4A 181 and USAPL MS T3 181 squat record holder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8CYaGgZtVs
    Me squatting 570 @ 181

Ironwil_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just got started on grip training - never did that before, and I was able to close the #1 on the first try. That was a relief, as my forearms are nothing to get excited about. One person in my office (besides me) could close it. I just got the Trainer 2 days ago. What a difference! That one I could close 15 times in a row, and again, only 1 other person could close it. I work in software development, which seems to develop soft people.

tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    first time i benched i did 75 for twelve reps at a bodyweight of like 125-128
    first pull was 135x8
    first squat was 155x5, i didnt start squatting until like my 3-4th month of lifting

Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    strong search and bump going on today.
    My Training Journal: http://tinyurl.com/jasons-journal
    My Video Training Journal: www.youtube.com/user/jason24590
    08/17:245,185,275 02/18:345,275,380
    06/18:405;315,455
    goal: hit previous SBD #s again 524,364,562
    current meet PRs: ---/---/--- ---

What NorthStrong's sig. says

tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jason2459 View Post
    strong search and bump going on today.
    theres trolls about lol

sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000) sickonstorm is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Radok View Post
    130 pounds. That's pathetic. I benched that when I was 13. I mean even with crappy genetics, you should bench more than a 6'th grade kid. I guess that just shows how out of shape people let themselves get.
    i know this post is from a long as s time ago but this guy was bragging about benching 135 plus as a 13 year old, and his age is 20 and hes only got a 300x1 bench in his sig. strong progress.

either way when i started training i couldnt do 1 pushup. then after a2 months icould pump out 7 pushups i went and maxed on bench press at a 45 pounds.

DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    some poster at a gym I used to work out at said the average man can bench 90% of his body weight.

In high school I couldn't do 135 once.
    Tie your shoes = ready for anything

Too Tough To Die