Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats- how to breathe?

I've always done my squats with an inhale as I'm squatting and an exhale as I'm extending my knees. Aren't you always supposed to exhale during while the muscle is doing the bulk of it's work in the exercise anyhow?

Anyway, I've heard recently that you should only breathe while in a full upright position and hold your breath during the entire squat until you are once again upright. Exhale, inhale, squat, repeat.

Which is the proper breathing technique for squats? I especially want to know as I don't have a spotter today, so I'll be going light, but if and when I get to heavy enough weights on squat I want to avoid passing out and injuring myself.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Inhale, hold it on the way down, exhale on the way up. You want to maintain inter-abdominal pressure to protect your spine.
    I don't know either lol

Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    Inhale, hold it on the way down, exhale on the way up. You want to maintain inter-abdominal pressure to protect your spine.
    Will do. Thx

B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B3yondBrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    holding your breath on the way up = hernia

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    unrack, breath in, lower yourself, exhale as you drive up. repeat.
    <->

Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dankid
    holding your breath on the way up = hernia
    I disagree, i've used the holding breath method for a long time with no problems, i feel holding my breath during the rep then breathing in between reps makes my body feel a lot more stable and i can do more weight.
    Weight-198lbs
    Overhead Squat-158lbs
    Clean & Jerk-202lbs
    Snatch - 153lbs
    Deadlift - 400lbs

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mr Lee
    I disagree, i've used the holding breath method for a long time with no problems, i feel holding my breath during the rep then breathing in between reps makes my body feel a lot more stable and i can do more weight.
    and you can play russian roullette for a long time w/o shooting yourself....doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
    <->

F69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    exhale on the hard part (going up)

Originally Posted by F69
    exhale on the hard part (going up)
    not true on everything; i sure as hell hope you arn't exhaling when you pull the bar for deadlifts/rack pulls, lmao.
    <->

F69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

not true on everything; i sure as hell hope you arn't exhaling when you pull the bar for deadlifts/rack pulls, lmao.

was talking about squats

maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mr Lee
    I agree with you. But if it's not a heavy load I exhale on the way up.

Holding your breath allows you to lift heavier. When it comes to heavy weights, I will generally always hold my breath for the whole rep to provide more stability and protect the "hull": gut and all.
    $AJ on bf%: pattern memorization...proprioception...+food

DieselWeasel: Get a clue and lift some weights.

Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinny_Au has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    holding your breath=Valslva effect=you passing out=bar dropping on you=your fked

unless you can incoporate partial valslva.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by $AJ

Umm, if you exhale as you pull, lifting the weight is a lot easier. Pretty sure it's a common technique in DL's. Obviously there's no way you'll agree with me, but try doing a deadlift the way you'd do it, then try the same weight while exhaling as you pull. A LOT easier, isn't it?
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Vinny_Au
    holding your breath=Valslva effect=you passing out=bar dropping on you=your fked

unless you can incoporate partial valslva.
    I just follow what pavel recommends, his advice always seems to work for me so i have no doubts that his holding breath technique will work well.
    Weight-198lbs
    Overhead Squat-158lbs
    Clean & Jerk-202lbs
    Snatch - 153lbs
    Deadlift - 400lbs

Originally Posted by BernieD
    Umm, if you exhale as you pull, lifting the weight is a lot easier. Pretty sure it's a common technique in DL's. Obviously there's no way you'll agree with me, but try doing a deadlift the way you'd do it, then try the same weight while exhaling as you pull. A LOT easier, isn't it?
    yea, i think i'll pass on exhaling while pulling up 600+
    <->

khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I keep hearing holding your breath on dealdifts is also dangerous.(hernia)

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    and you can play russian roullette for a long time w/o shooting yourself....doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
    Another awesome AJ quote. But seriously, you can blow out little puffs of air deadlifting, it's not like you empty your lungs on the way up.
    I don't know either lol

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

People, people, people....

Breathing squats have been around for years. If you do them properly, you WON'T have anything bad happen to you.

Inhale. Squat. Exhale on your way up. Cram your lungs again with oxygen, hold your breath. Squat. Exhale on the way up.

If you're doing the 20 rep squat routine doing this, wow what a workout!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.