mariemirez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mariemirez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mariemirez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mariemirez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mariemirez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mariemirez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mariemirez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Home Gym Necessities

I currently go to the gym but would like to start working out from home. What would be "must have" workout equipment? Something to start out with?

homemademuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Power rack (with chin bar and dip attachments), adjustable dumbells (olympic style), dip belt, and a 300lb olympic weight set. In my opinion, that is all you will ever need for a productive workout.

JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by homemademuscle
    Power rack (with chin bar and dip attachments), adjustable dumbells (olympic style), dip belt, and a 300lb olympic weight set. In my opinion, that is all you will ever need for a productive workout.
    I'll second that.

My setup is a squat rack, as opposed to a power rack, and I don't have a dip setup, but that's it.
    "Pain is a state of MIND -
    - Mass is a state of BEING"
    This one is my own.

MCassle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Must have to start out with would be a set of dumbbells & an adjustable incline bench. One can do a lot of basic exercises just with that set up.

After you do every dumbbell exercise known to man (& you can get creative here), next on the list would be a squat rack, or better yet a power rack. Combine a cable pulley system & you'll be the envy of all your buddies

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i dont think 300lbs is enough .. maybe for the first 6 months

MCassle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm in the process or ordering some plates. I too didn't think 300 would be enough, and am settling on at least 400. Heck, can pick up odds & ends at yard sales & newspaper ads too.

homemademuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MCassle
    I'm in the process or ordering some plates. I too didn't think 300 would be enough, and am settling on at least 400. Heck, can pick up odds & ends at yard sales & newspaper ads too.

I would have to disagree that 300 is not enough. The individual asked for something to "start with". With a little creativity (different sets and rep schemes) 300 lbs can go a long way.

While we're on the topic, I am curious to find out people's stats who feel the need for more than 300lbs in a set. If an individual did weighted chins, weighted dips, high rep squats (20 reps), trap bar deadlifts and dumbell bench work, there wouldn't be any need for more than 300lbs.

I think it would be safe to say that even the self-proclaimed strongest lifters would struggle with adding 100lbs to a dip belt for 3 sets of ten. Most people can't even do 3 sets of 10 in the chin with their own bodyweight let alone adding even 25lbs!

Look, I'm not trying to stir the pot here. I just find it interesting how so many people are fixated on just how much weight they can lift- not how proper their form is or if it is even producing results.

C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Typically, 300 lbs is enough, because most people aren't repping with 300 lbs on a regular basis. However, the nice thing about having more than 300 lbs of weight is that you'll spend less time moving the plates around getting ready for your next exercise.

Zze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow

well, the basic of the basic of the basic of the basic are adjustable dumbbels, bars and plates. then you may also look for a bench, etc.

Zze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Then you want to increase your home gym over time you may buy a lat machine. I don´t have a let machine but I have a system of elastics to use as a "mimick" of it.

~~~~ Lover/Fighter ~~~~ dragon*princess's Avatar
    dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) dragon*princess will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I own a VECTRA. I love it because it is extremely well made, compact, and I can do an entire full body workout on it (including squats).

riverman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riverman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riverman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) riverman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree that a power rack is a necessity. However, if you don't have room, or can't afford one initially, a trap bar gives you a great lower body and back workout.

samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samsung has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i want a dip machine, but there $100 is there a way i can make my own some how??