Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yup I guess I better just go waste my time hitting with wood since it's never gonna get me anywhere.

I guess when scouts evaluate guys to see if they can handle wood, they don't know what they are doing either. Nobody cares if you can hit with metal. All they care is if you can hit with wood. If you don't know how you're screwed.

Seeing as summer/pro ball uses wood, I guess it makes sense to actually learn what you need to succeed at that level.

But you're right, we all should just swing metal because it gives so much more feedback and is far more telling whether or not you can hit than a wood bat.

gendrste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gendrste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you some kind of wood bat genius? Are you a hitting guru Cosmo34? You seem to know an awful lot about how to hti and how to hit with wood bats. I would be interested to know as to where you get all of your information.
    Don't hide the muscles, Show them. . . Show them the muscles.

stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by cosmo34 View Post
    Yup I guess I better just go waste my time hitting with wood since it's never gonna get me anywhere.

I guess when scouts evaluate guys to see if they can handle wood, they don't know what they are doing either. Nobody cares if you can hit with metal. All they care is if you can hit with wood. If you don't know how you're screwed.

Seeing as summer/pro ball uses wood, I guess it makes sense to actually learn what you need to succeed at that level.

But you're right, we all should just swing metal because it gives so much more feedback and is far more telling whether or not you can hit than a wood bat.
    You honestly took about zero of what I said and put it in there. You basically put a ton of things in there I didn't say like I said them.

Did I say it's a waste of time? No
    Did I say scouts evaluate guys to see if they can handle metal? No
    Do scouts evaluate how some kids hit with wood? Yes
    You said nobody cares if you can hit with metal...are you serious?

Here's what I'm saying...hitting with metal and wood are completely different. If someone has a showcase coming up in which they have to use wood I would advise that person to take BP with wood. If they're taking batting practice before a game then I advise them use metal.
    I'm an athlete

gendrste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gendrste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You guys are both mullets.
    Don't hide the muscles, Show them. . . Show them the muscles.

cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gendrste View Post
    Are you some kind of wood bat genius? Are you a hitting guru Cosmo34? You seem to know an awful lot about how to hti and how to hit with wood bats. I would be interested to know as to where you get all of your information.
    OCD and being a perfectionist. Banking on my own experiences and discussing things with coaches any chance I get.

And no I'm not a "guru". I don't try and reinvent the wheel like Englishbey or Epstein.

Originally Posted by stewaat View Post
    Here's what I'm saying...hitting with metal and wood are completely different. If someone has a showcase coming up in which they have to use wood I would advise that person to take BP with wood. If they're taking batting practice before a game then I advise them use metal.
    How should one learn to have a swing that translates from metal to wood? By taking a few swings with wood here and there?

Hey, it beats the hell out of being an emo slice with proper mascara.

stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10)

To finally answer the OP's question...

If you're going to get a wood bat, follow the advice of others and get one that has been treated to not break easily because if they get you a wood bat and you take one bad swing with it you could throw away $50. I've seen it happen, several times.
    I'm an athlete

That is one of the lamest things I've ever heard in my life
    I'm an athlete

MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do the comp bats still have the same sweet spot and feedback of regular maple/ash?

Very close but not completely the same.

MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Very close but not completely the same.
    Great discussion in here guys, Lets keep it going!

I might buy one of those 20$ bats and use it till it breaks, then decide whether I want to move up. I think this is a good idea... I really like the black mizuno bamboo, if not that I will go with the brett brothers gobon #5 (4mo warranty)

Where is Delta? Oh, wait WEAKA5HELL's Avatar
    WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WEAKA5HELL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by lhp21 View Post
    I might buy one of those 20$ bats and use it till it breaks
    My friend did that and it broke after two hits. If pay for ****, you're going to get ****. Just letting you know.
    Ladies and gentlemen please, would you bring your attention to me, for a feast for your eyes to see, an explosion of catastrophe, like nothing you've ever seen before, watch closely as I open this door, your jaws will be on the floor, after this you'll be begging for more.

Originally Posted by WEAKA5HELL View Post
    My friend did that and it broke after two hits. If pay for ****, you're going to get ****. Just letting you know.
    QFT

Sure it looks cheap at first glance. But when you've bought 5 within a month, it's not so cheap anymore. One high quality bat will out last several "cheaper" options.

Comp bats don't have the same "pop" I'd say but the sweet spot is the similar size. You don't quite get the feedback of a wood bat because it spares your hands a bit.
    I'm an athlete

HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get a Baum Bat. If you want a cage bat. Its composite, close to wood. But seriously dont go blow 150+ on a maple or ash thatll break on one off the handle.

Originally Posted by HomeRunKingAK View Post
    Get a Baum Bat. If you want a cage bat. Its composite, close to wood. But seriously dont go blow 150+ on a maple or ash thatll break on one off the handle.
    I'm goin after a brett bros or demarini comp actually. I checked them out at local store tonight, they had 20 rawlings "big sticks" and one mizuno maple (75), and an Easton that looked gay.

Originally Posted by HomeRunKingAK View Post

If you're payin 150 for a maple or ash, you're getting screwed without lube.

Baum Bats, if you can find one, are indestructible though. There is no way, short of a sledgehammer or perhaps some gasoline, to destroy a Baum Bat.

If you're payin 150 for a maple or ash, you're getting screwed without lube.

Baum Bats, if you can find one, are indestructible though. There is no way, short of a sledgehammer or perhaps some gasoline, to destroy a Baum Bat.

Mizuno Maple for 70, really 30 after gift cards. Not bad IMO. Initial observations: find myself hitting "up through" the ball because of its weight, hitting fly balls where I'd like to hit gentle ascent line drives.

Mizuno Maple for 70, really 30 after gift cards. Not bad IMO. Initial observations: find myself hitting "up through" the ball because of its weight, hitting fly balls where I'd like to hit gentle ascent line drives.
    Do you believe wood and metal swing alike? Is it the exact same length/weight as your metal?

I felt 33-30 to be completely different with wood/metal.
    I'm an athlete

Originally Posted by stewaat View Post
    Do you believe wood and metal swing alike? Is it the exact same length/weight as your metal?

I felt 33-30 to be completely different with wood/metal.
    No doubt man. Definitely end-weighted, thus the strength required for bringiing the barrel along the same swing plane is more on the bottom hand ("holding the barrel up") but I think that the "whip" it generates may add power to my swing metal and wood.

Definitely liking things so far. Same length, its a 33". I don't know about weight and have no way of measuring it either.

Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500)
    I have a Demarini comp right now and it's great. I don't know what these guys are talking about saying the sweet spot doesn't feel the same because the Demarini sweet spot feels better than most woods I've swung.

Don't use your aluminum game bat in the cage, unless the cage uses hardballs, because if it uses those yellow balls they will dent your bat. I go with wood in the cage.

Originally Posted by Miniswole View Post
    I have a Demarini comp right now and it's great. I don't know what these guys are talking about saying the sweet spot doesn't feel the same because the Demarini sweet spot feels better than most woods I've swung.

Don't use your aluminum game bat in the cage, unless the cage uses hardballs, because if it uses those yellow balls they will dent your bat. I go with wood in the cage.
    Ya, right now I'm doing an old bat in the cages for school, wood at home for tee/cages elsewhere, then I have a demarini vexxum '07 for games. All bats are 33/30

Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500) Miniswole is not very helpful. (-500)
    Oh yea, the Vexxum was the best bat I ever used, but the salesman at a sports store that I was at was really trying to sell me on this orange/blue omaha. He kept talking about how all the college players are using it, etc. I liked how it felt, so I might try that for the upcoming season.

Oh yea, the Vexxum was the best bat I ever used, but the salesman at a sports store that I was at was really trying to sell me on this orange/blue omaha. He kept talking about how all the college players are using it, etc. I liked how it felt, so I might try that for the upcoming season.
    I used that one time, it feels just like the nike bats if you've used those. It isn't weighted in the middle like the two piece bats, but more at the end, similar to wood. That's probably the reason, since so many college players hit with wood in the summer/have pro aspirations.

I believe the general consensus is balanced(generally two piece) bats are for the average hitter, and end-weighted(generally one piece) bats are for the power/distance hitter, but its certainly up to you and how they feel in cage/game.

The Demarini comps dont transfer the energy as well as a solid, well made maple. Blame the bending composite handle. That BS may or may not work for a metal bat, but not so much for a wood bat.

The Demarini comps dont transfer the energy as well as a solid, well made maple. Blame the bending composite handle. That BS may or may not work for a metal bat, but not so much for a wood bat.
    You think so? I never figured out the bending handle crap with the metal ones, so the demarini has it? I have a vexxum, does it bend too?

I Like my maple, I'll keep using it until it breaks.

You think so? I never figured out the bending handle crap with the metal ones, so the demarini has it? I have a vexxum, does it bend too?

I Like my maple, I'll keep using it until it breaks.
    I think it's all BS. Yes, Demarini thinks that they can say "Oh our bats bend, more trampoline effect" and throw up some biased graph (with doctored results) and that will show their bats "superiority". Yes the Vexxum is a 2 piece model, in the bending mold.

I think they did the same thing with their wood bats. Obviously it is more resistant to breaking than a solid 1 piece wood, but the composite handle reflects their stand on bending bats are better, and trying to justify the 130$ price tag.

Glad you enjoy the maple. Stick with it.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My personal stick is
    the solid black one. Its called a Sam Bat ... about $110 from baseball express very good and has not broke on me yet. I would say the best for under $50 is gonna be a Mizuno prostock. I've tried a lot of wood bats and this is my favorite for the price ($40 I believe). If you want something that is not gonna break though I would go with a composite because those things are practically unbreakable.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================