ninjacookies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Possible collapsed lung/ or lifting related injury?

Well...this is just great. Just as I'm starting to see some gains with this new weight-lifting training program that I've started about 2.5 weeks ago....this morning I woke up with a slight yet fairly sharp dulling pain in the far right side of my chest (at about heart level). Granted, it only hurts when I move my body/arms in certain motions/positions, it just doesn't feel like it's at the 'muscle' level and feels like it's beneath it...though that might just be my interpretation.

Only thing that's slightly comforting is that my breathing is not at all affected right now and there's no pain when I take deep breathes. However, I had a fully collapsed LEFT lung and a series of surgeries to permanently repair it back when I was about 17 (am now 28). It just scares me right now since I don't have any medical insurance...and I know if I go in to check, they'll need to take x-rays to verify and even that is gonna be money out the ass.

This is my first real gain/hardlifting program in my life. I am 28, have been lifting every other day for the last 2.5 weeks on both animal pak and m stak.
    My training is pretty basic....bench/incline bench/lat pulls/bicep curls/shoulder press/leg curls/leg press/should raises.

Symptoms are just odd, as the pain on the right side of my chest only occurs when I move my arm in certain motions, such as pushing something horizontally with my arm (horizontally) and no pain laterally. Also when I get up after laying down (like doing situps) it hurts. One thing that was quite odd is the day before, I woke up with both my legs so sore to the point that I could barely walk. This was quite odd as I hadn't even worked out my legs in 3 days.

At this point, I'd rather it be a workout related injury than a spontaneous collapsed lung, as a collapsed lung sucks ass...but again, my breathing isn't at all affected right now. As for right now, I'm staying away from any resistance or hard activity whatsoever to play it safe.

I guess I will probably be forced to go in soon and pay out the ass for x-rays if the condition doesn't improve...but just wondering if you guys might have any feedback as to what I may be looking at here. Thanks much in advance.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Probably abit old for a spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung).

More likely a joint in the thoracic spine has been sprained, probably in line with the level of the pain.

Have to love Australia where doctors can be seen for free and the Government system rebates on the essential health items like x-rays.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

ninjacookies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Fresch View Post
    Probably abit old for a spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung).

More likely a joint in the thoracic spine has been sprained, probably in line with the level of the pain.

Have to love Australia where doctors can be seen for free and the Government system rebates on the essential health items like x-rays.
    thanks for the reply, great appreciated!

I did manage to find a free-to-low cost clinic locally which will be open this friday...and I'm going to go first thing

yeah health care is a HUGE concern here in the US....it really sucks