Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is squirrel meat a healthy choice of protein?

I'm from south louisiana and me and my boys kill tons of squirrels and i love eating them. also rabbits too. Im BBQin 8 right now outside that i killed this morning and can't wait for them to get tendered up on the pit for a big lunch today. Just wondering if eating squirrels is compairable to like eating beef or chicken breast?

djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know how healthy that is, but you'd probably have to eat a ton of squirrels to get a decent amount of protein. I don't know about in Louisiana but up here in NJ squirrels aren't very meaty. I dunno, maybe you have monster squirrels down there, never been down to louisiana

muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm sure they are lean source of protein. I guess if you have access to them and they're free...why the hell not right.
    "Don't count the days, make every day count"

showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) showv3113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah that's true about the money though. I'm a struggling college kid so squirrels and rabbits help out but killing deer is the best because a big 130lb deer is like a few hundred dollars worth of free beef almost. well the little grey squirels aren't that big but the red fox squirrels get pretty large. I'd say 4 fox squirrels equal about the same amount of meat as a rabbit. but i kill 8 (my limit) everytime because they got thousands of them feeding off of my deer feed by my deerstand in the swamp so i get a good bit of meat. plus they're fun as hell to hunt w/ a semiauto .22 w/ a scope and a banana clip of 50 rounds. A shotgun is just too easy.

ok i just deboned and defattened a big squirrel just to see and got 3 oz of meat so that's like 105cals, 3 gr fat, and 18 gram of protein according to nutrition facts on raw squirrel meat.

also why you think it wouldn't be healthy. those ****ers do a whole bunch of running and jumping around. Their muscles gotta be strong for that.

hockeydude27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockeydude27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockeydude27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockeydude27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Apparently 3 oz of Squirell meat (cooked) has about 147 calories, 26.2 Grams of Protein, and 4 Grams of Fat, so their not a bad source of protein. However I can't imagine ever eating a squirell, they are rodents after all and after I saw Major Payne where he just chares that rat in the fire and bites into it, the thought of eating a rodent disgusts me.

Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Serum556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ah, for those that aren't hunters the idea seems to strange. But they're the ones missing out, squirrels are tasty little buggers, and there are hundreds and hundreds of them all over the place so you don't have to feel bad about taking a few to eat. Hell, I'd feel better eating a squirrel I know lived an active and free life than a chicken stuck in a cramped wire cage until being killed.

But yes, they taste good (search for squirrel stew recipies, they taste particularly good cooked with apples) and are a healthy and pretty lean source of protein too. Some people eat ostrich or buffalo when they get tired of beef, others eat rodents. :-D

bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squirrel, wild rabbit, deer, and wild hog are really good meats. All of them are lean. Due to their leanness, you have to be careful not to over-cook them (drying the meat out).
    Train safe,
    David Russ

My FitDay Profile
    [url]www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=bigshadow[/url]

My Life Path
    [url]www.floridabujinkandojo.com[/url]

yes, i have to agree w/ the last 2 post. excellent points. i know some ppl don't wanna think about eating rodents and stuff but it's part of my culture. i was forced to go hunting ever since i was 3 years old. I own 9 guns and my dad has over 30. why not use them lol!!! also what about the wild hogs???? i know pork is pretty fattening but i do kill a wild bore or 2 every year and i've been giving the meat to friends. you think that the meat isn't too fattening since it's wild? i have no clue?

Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ruffian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That just seems wrong....cmon...squirrels???

Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    squirrles and rabbits are really lean and good sources of protein
    they are so lean there is a danger in eating them (to an excess) because you can actually get "rabbit starvation" which is due to its leaness, some settlers died from it becaus all they ate was rabbit meat and it did not give htem enough fat ect... to live off of, i am not saying you are gonna get this, just sayin its really lean

djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djdefcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It just seems wrong to you because its a different culture. People in different regions of the world/country have their own ways of life. People eat insects, frogs, snakes, *hHHrMM* cow brain, why not a squirrel?? =D

Talking about frogs . I freaking love frog legs it's my favorite. Big giant bull frog legs. and the best part is there is no fat. no fat whatsoever. check the nutrition facts. 100% frog protein. plus froggin at night is fun as hell. plus you get to wrestle gators in the process.

is that true about the rabbits killing ppl. damn i didn't know the meat was that lean. i can see the point and i'm not worried cuz i get in plenty of fat. but that is amazing to think about.

Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by djdefcon
    It just seems wrong to you because its a different culture. People in different regions of the world/country have their own ways of life. People eat insects, frogs, snakes, *hHHrMM* cow brain, why not a squirrel?? =D
    Good post. You must have taken an Anthropology class.

Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lee Hsiao Lung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah true about frog leggs, problem with them is most of the time when you are ordering frog leggs they come smothered in some type of sauce, and yeah, here is some more info on rabbit starvation from sites (google search it also, but most the sites are just about the imporatance of fats)

"Rabbit Starvation" (a term coined by V. Stefansson to describe the phenomenon of excessive dietary protein) often occurred among explorers who would live for long periods of time on extremely low fat small game animals (i.e. rabbits). The condition was marked by nausea, vomiting, weight loss and fatigue

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Squirrels are cute, though. Kill the frogs, they're so ugly.

Ok, I know the animal world has their little balance of kill/be killed but seriously, squirrels are so adorable! And ferrets!

On a random note, is anyone going to see Ice Age 2? It's like the kiddiest movie ever, but I love the sloth in there.

Oh my God, I'm going nuts. Sorry, I just woke up, I have brain fog.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nooooo! Don't eat meeeeee!
    Attached Images

Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    before i became a vegetarian, i used to eat alot of alligator meat. I had it shipped from florida; pretty tasty stuff too! Game meat is always better than farm meat cuz they feed off the wild and so their diet is healthier and more nutrient dense making them healthier to eat. Plus, they aren't treated with antibiotics and growth hormones and ****..............

nice photo. oh by i think frogs are cool. they're not ugly you ever held a gaint bullfrog in your hand? it's great they're fun to play with. it just sucks having to cut off their heads to clean them and they squeak when you do it. while as for killing the squirrels it's usually far away w/ a gun so it's no big deal.

japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JamesInLA
    Nooooo! Don't eat meeeeee!
    ROFL!
    Never thought about eating Squirrels but I guess it's alright.

JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jackbklyn01
    before i became a vegetarian, i used to eat alot of alligator meat. I had it shipped from florida; pretty tasty stuff too! Game meat is always better than farm meat cuz they feed off the wild and so their diet is healthier and more nutrient dense making them healthier to eat. Plus, they aren't treated with antibiotics and growth hormones and ****..............
    I had alligator chili once in N'awlins. It tasted like salty turkey, though the chili stuff made it hard to pick out any gator taste.

I think if I had to kill my food I'd be a vegetarian. I was for a few years after living where I'd walk by meat markets and see the skinned animals hanging in the shops.

yeah gator meat is very tasty. I can't get enough of that stuff. The monster 12 footer can taste a bit strong but the 6-8 footers are tender and juicy. plus u can cook gator meat in tons of different ways.

bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigshadow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by showv3113
    also what about the wild hogs???? i know pork is pretty fattening but i do kill a wild bore or 2 every year and i've been giving the meat to friends. you think that the meat isn't too fattening since it's wild? i have no clue?
    Just my opinion, but I think it is quite lean. The wild hogs I have either seen or taken are not very fat, they are lean and full of muscle. They also seem to weigh twice what they appear, when you have to carry them out of the swamp!
    Train safe,
    David Russ

My FitDay Profile
    [url]www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=bigshadow[/url]

My Life Path
    [url]www.floridabujinkandojo.com[/url]

turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am rolling here.....cant even believe I am reading this....
    My journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=552432
    Scivation Cutting Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=9100596#post9100596

EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EricF14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Usda

Just check the USDA site...yes they have nutrient data for squirrel.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

yeah no crap about the hogs weighing so much. i think they look lighter because they're so much shorter than deer and other big game but i hate dragging them out too. i had to drag a 155lb one 2 years ago. it took forever and was a bitch so now i just shoot the small ones.

5'10", 225, all sexy vanbiberjr's Avatar
    vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vanbiberjr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking

HOLY CRAP!
    if i ever had a squirrel smile at me when i was about to shoot it, i think i'd curl up into the fetal postition and cry awhile.

i gotta say gator meat is good, though.
    i had some gator-kababs and they were awesome!
    can't say i've ever had squirrel... though i don't think i would be opposed.
    i'm down for just about whatever.
    You're going to get criticized no matter what you do, especially if you're trying to achieve something and rise above the flock. Do it anyway. Negative criticism from others is often a sign that you're on your way up in the world.

any man who says he can see right through a girl is obviously missing the point. - Groucho Marx

Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackbklyn01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

sounds so tempting

i think i may have to break my vegetarian diet to try one. Hey showv3113, any chance you could ship one of those out here to ny!

Hawk69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with you, a lean diet is not good.I was on a diet for a really long time and lost a lot of weight "muscle and fat to be honest" now I am over weight because I started eating any and everything. I am about to start a new way of dieting and that is eating protein, good fats, and carbs. If any one has any ideas about what to eat and when, please let me know
    Originally Posted by Lee Hsiao Lung View Post
    yeah true about frog leggs, problem with them is most of the time when you are ordering frog leggs they come smothered in some type of sauce, and yeah, here is some more info on rabbit starvation from sites (google search it also, but most the sites are just about the imporatance of fats)

"Rabbit Starvation" (a term coined by V. Stefansson to describe the phenomenon of excessive dietary protein) often occurred among explorers who would live for long periods of time on extremely low fat small game animals (i.e. rabbits). The condition was marked by nausea, vomiting, weight loss and fatigue

KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000) KosanFalcon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lol Strong Louisiana poster location to Louisiana post content.

Should be pretty lean, though, so fine as long as you eat up! Prob something like chicken per oz., I'd guess.
    Stop dwelling on what happens when we die
    Start helping others while we're still alive
    -August Burns Red

Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere.
    - Morihei Ueshiba

Endure and persevere; one day this pain will prove useful to you.
    -Ovid

All that is required for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.
    -Edmund Burke

What good fortune for governments that the people do not think.
    -Adolf Hitler