chopsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chopsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chopsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chopsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Sore knee from squats

Hey guys,

Ive been weight training SERIOUSLY for about 2 months now. Lately, during my squat sets, my knee will hurt. I bought one of those elasticated knee-braces today and hopefully that will help, but what would my best course of action be? Obviously, i want to fix whatever I'm doing wrong before it turns into a serious injury and I cant work my legs for a while.

Thanks!

geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    (a) Work on flexibility in your hip flexors and the muscles in your lower leg
    (b) Focus on pushing through your heels
    (c) Start box squatting
    (d) Make sure your knee is not traveling past your toes
    (e) Don't squat past parallel until the other 4 have been done

Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Emo Bodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When i had injured my knees the doc told me to lie on my back and raise my legs one at a time, around six inches from the ground and hold them for 10 seconds, do 10 reps and then swap legs. That should sort you out in about 2 weeks by strengthening your knees

duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    There's this cream that my mom uses that seem to help her, you can get it at most drug stores and places like wal-mart, its called vagisil, i hear it works well...

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by geoffsherman
    (c) Start box squatting
    good list, to add to this also try not to bounce at the bottom, pause and then push up.

duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) duganator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Look unless you want a vagina for legs dont pause then push, start the push back to the top right about where you hit parallel...

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just to expand on what i said before, its not like a 1-2 second pause but enough to make sure you've stopped before reversing the movement (to avoid bouncing)

Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thestef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a similar problem when I started lifting a few month ago. I don't want to sound over confident, but I'm naturally strong and I "started" off with 215pounds on the squats and could do 3 sets of 10 without much problems.

After working out a few times my knee started to hurt, even when I wasn't working out, just by walking or even sitting... sometimes when you injure yourself you won't fee the pain until the day after of even a few days after it won't neccaseraly heart when you actualy engure yourself.

I had to start from 0, I guess I did my own physical therapy. I didn't do anything with my legs for about 3 weeks to let my knee heel, I only did stretching. Then I started doing squats without any weights for about 2 weeks, then with 35lbs, then 50lbs, then 100, and I did this for about 2 months, and now I'm back to 215lbs. I am also doing a lot of stretching before my work outs and I do a very good warm up with lights weights before doing my 215lbs squats. So far so good, my knee is good as new and I will stick with 215lbs until I feel like my knee, ligaments and muscle are fully developed before adding more weight, I know I can lift a lot more, maybe even 300lbs, but I want to make sure I don't injure my knee again, so I'm taking my time.

Its not always the amouth of weights you lift, if the total work out that counts, the posture

Good luck!

chopsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chopsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chopsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chopsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Hopefully with this advice I'll sort the knee out in no time.
    Cheers

SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm having this problem too. My knee feels sore right after squats, and they kinda hurt when I sit all the way down (ass touching heels) for a few days after squats. I do squats with good form and warm up well before doing them. I'm guessing it's just normal soreness.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by geoffsherman
    (c) Start box squatting

I've found that to be very important. Using a SLOW negative really helps me too.

ALSO-try PAUSING at the bottom: this will help you gain more depth AND put less stress on the knees.

If worse comes to worse-do front squats until your knees heal.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

bodychangerx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    does a knee brace help, also is there any vitamins u could take to help out all your joints?

bherks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bodychangerx View Post
    does a knee brace help, also is there any vitamins u could take to help out all your joints?
    a knee brace is temporary and should be worn as a "band aid". if pain persists seek advice from a doctor or physical therapist. pain is not normal, your body is telling you something. so avoid squats for now and do isolation movements which strengthen the quads and supporting muscle groups. such as hip abduction/adduction, leg extensions, hamstring curls, hip flexion/extension, calf raises, and dorsal flexion exercises (pulling your toes towards your shins), etc.

try to avoid working through the pain and work around it. knee surgery is something you want to avoid.

bodychangerx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanx for the information.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    You do not need hip flexor lengthliness to do a squat. Tight hip flexors would actually help pull you down into it.

The way that tight hip flexors would impede is they would make it difficult to lock out (which is more of a deadlift issue) or they may make you hip extensors weaker via reciprocal inhibition (glute deactivation for example).

Besides that, I may be missing out on a more complex biophysical concept, how would hip flexors cause knee pain in a squat?

There is the whole 'anterior pelvic tilt' issue I know is caused by that, is that the reason?

wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wwarrior2469 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by chopsky View Post
    Hey guys,

Ive been weight training SERIOUSLY for about 2 months now. Lately, during my squat sets, my knee will hurt. I bought one of those elasticated knee-braces today and hopefully that will help, but what would my best course of action be? Obviously, i want to fix whatever I'm doing wrong before it turns into a serious injury and I cant work my legs for a while.

Thanks!
    what do you mean by "hurt?" where in your knee does it hurt? is it only during the set? does it hurt at other times? is it a persistent pain? what more information can you give on the type of pain?

domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) domino25 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chopsky View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    Where does it hurt ? Can you put your finger on where it hurts ? Is it an overall pain/ache ?.
    Could be an injured tendon / inflammation / acl tear .
    Stop doing all leg exercises or try invent your own physical therapy routine .
    Go to a ortho and get it checked out asap . Seriously .