the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK THREE :: What Is The Best All Dumbbell Workout?

TOPIC: What Is The Best All Dumbbell Workout?

For the week of: 10/11 - 10/17
    (Monday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're trapped in a room with nothing but a bench (multiple angles) and a rack of dumbbells.

What is the best all dumbbell workout?

Do you think you would lose a lot of benefit using an all dumbbell workout, or do you think it could actually make a positive impact on results?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see! We will only be picking two winners until this section starts becoming more popular. So, get to work and become famous!

Thanks,
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Very good topic Will.

I think a lot of posts will come up with this one.

I'll try my hardest!
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike15prepster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you were stuck in a room with a bench(of multiple angles)and a rack of dumbbells there would be many ways you could work mostly every muscle group

Chest-db butterfly w/ bench
    -db bench press
    Biceps-Dumbbell standing curl
    -dumbbell bench curl
    -hammer curls
    Triceps-db bench press
    -db incline bench press
    -reverse db culs
    -kick backs
    -front and side raises
    -forearm-wrist curls

back-db bench press

abs-weighted sit ups or crunches

delt-shrugs
    -bench press
    legs-squats
    -lunges

There is many more,but this would help you off if this is what you only had.To find more visit sites on bb.com or on the web

,mike15prepster
    -

army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)

The only advice you would need for dumbbell workouts.

The best all Dumbbell workout would be to...

DAY 1 CHEST-
    1.Start off with decline flyes with your head slightly hanging off the end of the bench and meeting the dumbells right below the pecs to effectivley pre-exhaust and stretch the fascia of the pectoral muscle.2x15

2.Next go to incline dumbell press to hit the upper region of the pecs. 2x10-15 reps

3.Decline dumbbell press. This way you can hit the lower and mid region of the pecs to get it exhausted before going back to incline. 2 or 3 x 10-15 reps

4. Back to incline chest. Now that the lower and mid part of the pec is exhausted this will ensure us that by going back to the incline press these regions will not become a factor and the upper pecs are strictly isolated. 2x10-15 reps

DAY 2 BACK-
    1. I would began the back workout with another pre-exhaust movement to avoid bringing in the biceps but yet exhausting the back. Dumbbell pullovers across the flat bench. 2 or 3 x 10-15 reps

2. Heavy dumbbell deadlifts to put some size and thickness in the back. 2 or 3 x 6-8 reps

3. Dumbbell rows doing both arms at the same time. the reason why is because sometimes if you do a single arm at a time you're to exhausted by the time you get to the other arm, also this way you can really contract the lats.

DAY 3 0FF-

DAY 4 SHOULDERS-

1. You can do more with dumbbells with shoulders than any other bodybpart. Lets pre-exhaust with dumbbell side-delt raises but lets start with the heaviest weight we can for 6-8 reps and do one giant set down the rack.

2.At this point our delts should be a bit warmed-up so now we'll put the bench to an upright position and do dumbbell military presses. If you dont have heavy dumbbells or if you have bad elbows i would do the Arnold Press. 2x 10-15 reps

3. Lastly upright rows. 3x10-15 reps

DAY 5 LEGS-

1. I would start off legs with no weight squats to get the legs warmed-up by holding onto the bench and going deep for 2x30 reps and then move to some weights for 2-3x15-20 reps deep.

2. Next comes walking lunges. Grab a pair of dumbbells that you can do for a distance of about 20 yards and began lunging forward for the full distance and back for about 2 sets. This should fry the hams, quads, glutes and all the other parts of the leg.

3. Since the Hamsting is fried lets do some stiff-legged deadlifts with a nice deep stretch to get that fascia to stretch and grow.

DAY 6 ABS/BICEPS AND TRICEPS/TRAPS-
    1. Decline sit-ups, crunches, followed by frog kicks, for one giant set 3x25 with slow burning reps.

2. Next is traps. For traps there isn't many things we can do but there is one thing we can do with slight variations, the dumbbell shrug. You can really feel this by sitting on the edge of the bench and a slight bend forward to isolate the traps or standing with the dumbbells at you sides or slightly behind you. 2x15-20 reps

3.Biceps. We would began biceps with heavy curls. The fascia in the biceps should be stretch at this point from doing traps (holding the weight to your sides w/your arms straight) 3x10-15 reps

4.Hammer curls to really focus on the brachaii muscle. 2x10-15

5.Next is what i call Arnold curls (in Pumping Iron, Arnold is shown doing these). Bend over at the waist with the arm hanging straight down perpendicular to the floor and curl the weight leaving the elbow pointed at the floor until you feel a strong contraction. 2x20

6. Triceps- To began lets do some close hand push-ups to get those tri's warmed-up 1x20 and then move directly to doing decline dumbbell skull-crushers supersetted with decline close-hand presses with the elbows in the body, this will burn. 3x15-20 reps

7. Dumbbell kick-backs with two dumbbells at the same time. 2x 15 reps

8. Dips off the edge of the bench 2x burn out

DAY 7 OFF-

This workout can be changed bi-weekly or monthly with new rep schemes, set schemes, or rest in between sets. There is no magical work-out out there that will produce Ronnie Coleman results. Diet, rest, and training will make this program work to get the best result from your dumbbells.
    Last edited by army muscle; 10-13-2005 at 11:59 AM.

DoTheRobot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoTheRobot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoTheRobot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoTheRobot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoTheRobot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoTheRobot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoTheRobot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Do The Robot - and the best dumbbell workout

My best dumbbell workout - kid tested mother approved j/p :P
    Attached Files

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

What Is The Best Dumbbell Workout?

What Is The Best Dumbbell Workout?

Dumbbells are on of the best pieces of equipment you could use in your training. There are a lot of various exercises you could do with just a bench with multiple angles. Dumbbells also provide a great range of motion (ROM) to provide more muscle development. One of the things to look into when using dumbbells are Power Hooks.

Power Hooks: Power Hooks are one of the mos well thought out products of equipment for training. If you have these handy, use them. They are great for hitting your lower rep ranges easily.

Exercise Selection

Chest:
    Bench Press
    Decline Bench Press
    Decline Fly
    Fly
    Pullover
    Incline Press

Back:
    Bent-Over Row
    Lying Row
    Shrugs

Thighs:
    Lunge
    Rear Lunge
    Side Lunge
    Single Leg Split Squat
    Squat
    Step-up

Straight Back, Straight Leg Deadlift
    Straight Leg Deadlift

Deltoids:
    Front Raise
    Shoulder Press
    Lateral Raise
    Lying Lateral Raise
    Bent-Over Raise

Biceps:
    Curl
    Incline Curl
    Concentration Curl
    Prone Incline Curl

Triceps:
    Lying Extensions
    One Arm Overhead Extension
    Overhead Extension

Forearms:
    Hammer Curl
    Wrist Curl
    Reverse Wrist Curl

Calves:
    Single Leg Calf Raises

The Workout

There are a lot of ways to split up your routine, but everyone has different times they can workout. A lot of people are too busy to workout certain days, well figure what days you have time to workout. I would suggest a basic 3-day split were you workout monday, wednesday, and friday. If you can’t make those days find out how you split it well with your schedule.

Monday:
    • Bench Press 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Incline Press 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Fly 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Lying Triceps Extension 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Overhead Triceps Extension 3-4 sets 8-10 reps

Wednesday:
    • Bent-Over Rows 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Lying Row 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Incline Row 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Curl 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Concentration Curl 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Hammer Curls 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Reverse Wrist Curl 3-4 sets 20-30 reps

Friday:
    • Squat 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Lunge 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Straight Leg Deadlift 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Shoulder Press 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Side Lateral Raise 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
    • Bent-Over Raise 3-4 sets 8-10 reps

You can also add in 5 sets of 25 reps of Crunches to each workout for Ab work. You can weight with a dumbbell behind your head if needed.

Notes: Change exercises every 3-4 weeks. Experiment with different rep ranges every month, try low rep ranges for a month and then high rep work then moderate rep ranges and try finding what works. Make sure to have good form when performing the exercise. Try to use the correct weight for the rep range so you fail at that rep range or come shy to it by 1 or 2 reps.

When making up a split that works specifically for you, try to get at most one rest day away from each workout. Always be consistent with getting to your workouts as well. One of the things that makes a bodybuilder is being consistent with a new plan or diet. Every 8 weeks of pushing the iron pretty seriously, take a one week break just to gather yourself. You should still workout and keep a good diet during that time. Be under active rest, maybe miss a workout or a meal that week, just get your sanity back from consistency. Another good thing to have is a good diet. Search around the forums or the internet and read up on basic nutrition to help you grow. If your not growing you should think to your diet and not always your workout.

A few different ways to split this would be:
    Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
    Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
    Thursday, Saturday, Monday
    Friday, Sunday, Tuesday

Whatever you find works is good. If you want to add more workouts that take less time and complete the routine, that is also good. If you got maybe 30 minutes on the week days to workout with the routine would also be good. Be creative and really think through what your doing to work for you so you can hit your workouts on time and not miss work.
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up Page 1

What Is The Best All Dumbbell Workout?
    No gym is ever a real or good gym unless it has a good rack of dumbbells. The same thing goes with a workout schedule, it’s never a really good one unless it incorporates exercises with dumbbells into it. All those big guys you see probably all use dumbbells. There are many overlooked things in bodybuilding, the facts about dumbbells is one of them. One mindset a lot of people have that will lead you down the wrong road is that dumbbells wont help you build as much muscle as those bulky looking complicated machines. If your following this path, let me be the first to tell you that your one hundred percent wrong. As a matter of fact, using only machines would probably lead to a variety of problems and limit your progress. That is something a lot of people think, just because these machines look threatening and they’re made by man in the modern day world that they will speed up their progress. Dumbbells to them look so primitive and ineffective, but one fact is that dumbbells have been around for two thousand years, so I would assume there that they work pretty well. I’m not saying that you should not use machines, I’m saying that you should incorporate machines and dumbbells into your workout to make it effective. And by now some people are probably thinking how am I going to make progress just using dumbbells? Well, let me tell you it’s not going to be easy, and it won’t be impossible to do either. And let me also say that doing an all dumbbell workout is better than doing just machines.

What is the best all dumbbell workout?
    When using an all dumbbell workout there are a few things you should keep in mind:
    1. Compound movements
    - For all workouts, this is a must, your workout should consist of a large number of compound movements. The reason being is that they are muscle building exercises. So if you just do isolation exercises, your not going to be as big as you would like. But don’t go crazy on compound movements, there are a few muscle groups where it’s hard to use compound movements for them, and it’s still ok. For example biceps, the only way you can really work it effectively is variations of curls, I mean if you did upright rows or seated row to work your biceps then you wouldn’t make as much progress on your biceps.

2. Changing your workout
    - Change your workout every 2 months about. This will make it so you don’t plateau because your muscles get used to your workout too much. Even though your using dumbbells only and there are fewer exercises to cycle into your program, you still have to do it. It’s also what a lot of dumb people do, just come into the gym every time do regular bench press then regular curls and make no progress because they’ve been doing that for a year. Even if it means doing an exercise with dumbbells that looks weird and that you don’t like do it, you will be kicking yourself if you don’t and plateau.

3. Hit all parts of a certain body part (Something very important when using only dumbbells)
    - If you don’t understand what that meant you have to understand that your pectoral (chest muscle) isn’t just one muscle that gets worked the same no matter the exercise. Your pectorals believe it or not are separated into the upper, lower, outer and inner pectorals. You have to hit all of these or else you will look as good as you would like too, maybe you’ve already heard someone say “Hey your upper pecs need work.” That’s the whole reason why you have different exercises and positions on a bench, to work the different parts of a body part. A good workout will make certain you hit a good amount of a certain body part. However, don’t get scared and try to hit every single part of a body part. If you don’t concentrate on it with an exercise, it will still get worked but not as much as the part you are concentrating on. So if you didn’t have an exercise that concentrated on your lower pectorals then have an exercise that hits it in your next workout program.
    - Here are the different parts of each body part that are relevant (by this I mean that are worth worrying about, I mean you cant really concentrate on upper and lower rhomboids so there is not point in being concerned about them since they just get worked along with everything else)
    - It is harder to hit different heads of certain muscles since you don’t have bars and certain machines, so that’s why it is so important to try to hit all heads of a body part for full development.

Traps – 3 groups, upper, lower, and middle
    - Don’t worry although this sounds like a lot the only thing you really have to worry about is your upper traps. Your lower traps can’t be isolated, so now your wondering how do they get worked? Well when you workout your back they get worked with your back, so when you do rows and compound back exercises they will get worked along with them.
    - Your middle traps aren’t something of concern either. A bit of it is worked with your upper traps and the other bit is worked with your lower traps.
    - Upper traps are what you need to be concerned about, you need to work them even though they are worked a little bit from other exercises. This means you have to devote some time to work them separately from your back, if you don’t work your upper traps, then you will look like a goof.

Lats – Upper and lower lats
    - I wouldn’t be too concerned unless your some crazy perfectionist, just use a variety of exercises and you will be fine. Also there isn’t much choice when it comes to just dumbbell back exercises so it’s really something out of your control.

Bicep – Inner, outer, middle, and lower sections of the bicep
    - This is important to getting the muscular arms so many are wanting. You have to make sure you hit all parts of the bicep, so don’t just do regular curls all the time or else weak spots will develop on your arms and the shape of your biceps will not be as good

Triceps - Inner, middle, and outer heads
    - This is probably the one of the most overlooked body parts. Few people consider working all three heads of the triceps, the fact is that if you want massive and well formed triceps you have to work all three heads.

Shoulders – Posterior, anterior, and lateral heads. For those who have no clue it means the rear, middle, and front deltoid
    - This is very important in developing good shoulders. This is something that you don’t want to screw up on. I see too many people just doing side lateral raises thinking the whole shoulder gets hit. Well with shoulders it’s different, a lot different. If you only do side lateral raises the front and back deltoids will hardly get worked. This isn’t the same for something like the biceps. If you just do regular curls it might be harder to tell but if you only do side lateral raises then it will be easy to notice the front and back shoulders lacking.

Forearms – I forget the fancy name for the two parts of the forearm but it’s basically the top and bottom parts
    – This is also important, you HAVE to hit both because if you work the top wrists your bottom won’t even get worked a bit. So if you only work the top wrists your forearms will look deformed and screwed up.

Chest – Divided into four groups, upper, lower, inner, and outer
    - This is kind of like the biceps, if you only work your upper pectorals, then it won’t be as easy to tell something is wrong with your pectorals but it will still be noticeable. To prevent this you have to work all parts of the pectoral. The two main things you should be concerned about are the upper and lower pectorals, the outer and inner aren’t as important, but it is still important to work them.

Abs – Upper and lower abs
    - This is a must to work upper and lower abs, one thing you got to ask yourself is do I want four abs showing with just two little hardly noticeable bumps below them? I’m guessing no, to get a six pack that almost all guys want you have to work the lower and upper abs

Quads – Outer head, inner head, and upper heads which is actually two smaller heads
    - The quads are one of the most visible body parts. If you get into a bathing suit or are in a competition then it’s important to develop your quads fully. You have to train your quads correctly or else your legs will look like a total joke.

Hamstrings – Four heads
    - Isolating the four heads of the hamstring isn’t that important to know as much as the quads. There are basically three or maybe even two exercises you should always do to ensure your hamstrings are developed fully. I will list them later on.

Calves – The inner, middle, and outer heads
    - A lot of people, or I should say most people just train the main calf area that hits mostly the middle and a bit of the inner and outer calves
    - Hitting the inner and outer calves aren’t very important just putting your feet in a regular stance will be good

ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ho_124 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up Page 2

THE WORKOUT
    Now that you read all that stuff above you probably want to know some exercises to put in a workout. Well here they are with all the different body part heads they hit. Remember there are probably some I miss and don’t be afraid to use them.

Triceps – Because there is no machines and barbells, we are limited because tricep pushdowns and extension variations with barbells is huge

- Dips (I’m assuming you can do it if you have two benches or two chairs or something)
    - Dips are your best friend for your triceps when it comes to development. They hit all three heads of the tricep and it is a compound movement. You should try to do the tricep concentration variation of the dip. This is almost the exact same as the dip but your body is parallel instead of slightly leaning forwards which concentrates on your triceps a lot. Put a weight between your feet for added resistance if you want.

- Seated dumbbell tricep press (This is where you sit down, take a dumbbell with two hands and lower behind your head then extend). It can also be done lying down on a bench
    - This is another great exercise since it works all three heads of the tricep. Your elbows shouldn’t move in this exercise

- Dumbbell bench press (Can also be done on an incline and decline but it won’t do much to affect your triceps)
    - This is a great exercise for hitting two of the heads of the tricep. It also helps with your stabilizer muscles, which is good. It is also a compound exercise which is another positive of the dumbbell bench press.

- Skull crushers with two dumbbells (basically the same thing as seated dumbbell tricep press but using two dumbbells)
    - This is another exercise that hits all heads of the triceps. Your elbows shouldn’t move in this exercise

- One arm tricep extensions (Your other hand should be stabilizing your arm)
    - This is a good exercise for isolating the triceps. It doesn’t hit all the heads of the tricep so make sure that you implement it with all your exercises

- Tricep kickbacks (using both arms or just concentrating one one)
    - This is a popular exercise that isolates the tricep well. However I don’t like it and don’t use it because it is painful if I get a full extension. This might also be a problem with other people too. For some it might be using too much weight, but for others it’s probably that it just puts too much stress on the elbow.

Biceps
    - Biceps are easy to do with free weights since the only way to really work the bicep good is by doing curling motions. You also don’t need machines for working the biceps well.
    - One hard thing to do is work the outer biceps since you don’t have a barbell and its easiest to do with a barbell.

Standard alternating curl, (I’m assuming you know how to do this if not, then you need to read a lot). This can also be done curling both at the same time and sitting down on a bench which takes a lot of stress off the back, this is good for me since I have back problems)
    - Hits the middle bicep and good for overall and middle bicep development

Hammer curl (Can be done sitting on a bench as well)
    - Hits the wrists more, but it basically works the overall and middle bicep more

Concentration curl (Can be done with one knee on floor while you put your elbow on your opposite leg on the inner thigh or on a bench resting your elbow on your inner thigh)
    - Great for isolating the biceps well, especially if you tend to cheat and use your back

Inner bicep curl (A lot probably haven’t heard of this one but you start with dumbbells at your side. Then you curl up and out so that at the finish position your arms are diagonal of the front of your body) At the end of the curl your arms should be in line with your lateral deltoid and can also be done on a bench
    - Works the inner bicep and is a good exercise to concentrate on it

Incline inner bicep curl (Put the bench on incline and lie on it. Start with dumbbells at arms length, then curl the dumbbells up and out keeping your wrists in line with your lateral deltoids. Then lower using same path)
    - This is my favorite exercise for isolating the inner biceps

Outer bicep curl (Almost same thing as bicep curl but curl the dumbbell towards your body so your bicep ends up near your pectoral)
    -> One of the only ways using dumbbells to

Two armed outer bicep curl (I made this one up yay! The second way to work the outer biceps, take one dumbbell and hold with two hands on the handle. Your arms should be close together like your doing it with a barbell. You curl it up and back down which is basically it)
    - The second way to concentrate on the biceps

Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl Over Incline Bench
    - This is the only way with dumbbells to isolate the lower biceps. Use one arm at a time

Shoulders
    - This is also easy since you basically only use free weights to work your shoulders

Rear deltoid laterals – Can be done bent over, bent over on a bench or lying on a bench
    - This isolates the rear deltoids and is one of the best exercises for it

External rotation – Can be done on the floor or a bench
    - This is another exercise that isolates the rear deltoids

Seated rear deltoid row (Sit on a bench holding dumbbells at arms length and lean forward a little bit. Row the dumbbells back by bending your elbows so that the dumbbells are near your legs)
    - Compound movement that works your rear deltoid

Lateral raises – Many variations, sitting, standing, using one arm only
    - The best way to isolate the lateral deltoids.

Palms back lateral dumbbell raise – almost same thing as lateral raise, except when you raise your arms your palms face down.
    - This hits the lateral deltoids more directly

Shoulder dumbbell press – Can also be done sitting down, standing up or with one arm
    - Great compound movement that hits the front and lateral deltoids. One of the best movements for working the shoulders

Upright rows
    - Another compound movement that hits the front deltoids but isn’t as concentrated on them

Front raises – Many variations, sitting standing, on an incline bench, lying chest down on a bench and using one dumbbell. The basic movement is starting with dumbbells at your side. Then you raise them straight infront of you untill they form a 90 degree angle with your body. You can also do raises so that you go all the way so your arm is straight up instead of infront of you.
    - Best exercises for isolating the front deltoids

Chest – This is another easy body part to do with dumbbells only. There are a variety of movements that hits all parts of the chest.

Dumbbell bench press (Incline, decline, and flat)
    - This is a compound movement which is awesome.
    - Probably the best movement for your pectorals, at almost every gym you can see guys building their chest muscles this way. It also helps build up stabilizer muscles which is another plus.
    - A bench on an incline will hit the upper pectorals while on a decline will hit the lower pectorals. KNOW THIS, IT IS IMPORTANT

Pec flyes (Can be done on incline, decline, and flat bench)
    - A very good isolation for the pectorals
    - It hits the inner and outer pectorals on a flat bench
    - On an incline it works more the upper pectorals
    - On a decline it hits the lower pectorals

Dips – Pectoral variation
    - An amazing compound exercise for the pectorals. If you want amazingly shaped pectorals this is the exercise
    - For the pectoral variation you have to lean forward a bit throughout the whole motion
    - Works the lower pectorals and will give the lower pecs a great shape. You can hold a dumbbell between your feet for added resistance.

Straight arm dumbbell pull over (Done on a bench, can also be done with bent arms and two dumbbells)
    - A good compound movement that also works the rib cage. It works the general area of the pectoral

Back – This is a hard one to do, because a lot of machines isolate groups of back muscles. However it is still possible to build a good back with just dumbbells.

One arm dumbbell row
    - Ultimate dumbbell back builder. It is a compound movement that hits a lot of the major back muscles including the rhomboids and lats.
    - Try not to use your arms, pull with your back. This is important since it is hard to do back exercises with just dumbbells. The important thing is the back muscle not the bicep.

Bent over dumbbell rows – Can be done with palms facing towards you, palms facing away from you and palms facing the sides which is like a hammer curl grip
    - Another amazing compound back builder
    - If it hurts your back or stresses it too much, then don’t bend over so much

Incline bench rows – (You’ve probably never heard this but you lie on an incline bench with your chest on the bench. The incline shouldn’t be too steep, just a little bit) Hold two dumbbells at arms length have them facing you, away from you or sideways and row them upwards)
    - Another good compound back builder which can also be done on a flat bench but the dumbbells may touch the ground so elevate the bench.
    - Takes a lot of stress off your lower back

Rhomboid shrugs
    -> The best and only way to isolate the rhomboids and other middle back muscles
    Last edited by ho_124; 10-15-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Thumbs up Page 3

Stiff legged dumbbell deadlifts
    - Rated as one of the best muscle building compound movements.
    - It hits the lower back and hamstrings with just a little bit of the calves.
    - Some say its essential for a good lower back
    - Do not do them if you have back problems, other than that they aren’t bad for your back

Traditional deadlift – This involves the legs bending and its kind of like a squat motion
    - Is also one of the best compound movements out there
    - The only thing is that it doesn’t concentrate on the lower back as much

Hyperextensions
    - Great way to isolate your lower back, hold a dumbbell to make it harder. This is great since you can’t really do good mornings since you need a barbell and using dumbbells to do good mornings would just be like deadlifts.

Supermans
    -> This is an underestimated exercise. Just hold a dumbbell in your arms to make it harder

Traps – Straight forward, isn’t easy to do or hard to do

Dumbbell shrugs with dumbbells at sides
    - Isolates the traps and is a good movement for the upper traps.

Dumbbell shrugs with dumbbells infront
    - Holding the dumbbells in different positions will hit the trap muscle differently. It is good to have variation.
    - Works the upper traps

Standing Dumbbell Upright Row
    - Great compound movement that hits the upper traps
    - Doesn’t concentrate on them as much but is still a good exercise

Incline bench shrugs
    -> Different motion that hits a different part of the upper traps

Abs and oblique – This is easy since most ab and oblique exercises don’t require machines

Decline crunches – I’m assuming the bench can go on decline and it has things for your feet
    - One of the best exercise for working the upper abs. Most people have to use weight to make it harder

The sit up – Wedge your feet under something heavy, then hold a dumbbell behind your head and it will be very hard. Don’t overload on the weight or you can injure abs easier on this one.
    - The sit up concentrates on the upper abs
    - Don’t let your back touch the floor at any time and don’t wait at the top very long

Crunches
    - Exercise for the upper abs. Hold a heavier dumbbell while doing these. Hold it behind your head or use your arms to hold it straight up because if you just hold it against your chest it wont do much
    - Put legs up on a bench for a different variation

V- sit ups – It’s hard to explain this one so here’s a website that does explain it http://www.chap.com/aw07.htm
    - Great exercise that works both upper and lower abs

Decline reverse crunch
    - Awesome movement for the lower abs. Hold a light dumbbell between your legs and you will be surprised how hard it is

Flat leg bench pull in
    - Another exercise that concentrates on the lower abs. Holding a dumbbell between your legs will make it harder.

Flat Bench Lying Leg Raise
    - An exercise for the lower abs which is similar to the exercise above but harder. Place a lighter dumbbell on this exercise.

Leg raises between two objects – Since we have no elevated chin up bar its hard. I’m assuming you can do it between two chairs or two elevated objects.
    - This is the hardest of the leg raises since your lower abs have to stable themselves at the same time. Holding a light dumbbell will make it very hard for the average person.
    - You can just raise your knees if it’s too hard

Seated Flat Bench Leg Pull-In
    -> This is another movement good movement for the lower abs. Putting a dumbbell here will make it harder.

Plate/dumbbell twist
    - This is a great movement that concentrates on the oblique. It will take some time to get the hang of it and become more stable

Dumbbell side bend
    - Probably the most popular exercise for the obliques. Using a heavier dumbbell is necessary since the movement is so short.

Seated barbell/dumbbell twist – A movement where you twist at your waist from left to right
    - For this one which is usually done with a barbell, take a dumbbell and hold it close to your chest. Twist only at your waist.

Oblique sit ups and crunches
    - Exercise that concentrates on the obliques more than the upper abs. Use a weight for more resistance

Wrists – Simple and straight forward. It isn’t the hardest to do but it also isn’t the easiest

Palms-Down Dumbbell Wrist Curl Over A Bench
    - Best exercise with dumbbells for upper wrists
    - Can be done one arm at a time or on your knee

Palms-up Dumbbell Wrist Curl Over A Bench
    - Best exercise for your lower wrists. Can also be done one arm at a time or on your knee

Behind the back dumbbell wrist curls
    -> It isn’t as effective with dumbbells but it is still a good movement for the lower wrists.

Standing Dumbbell Reverse Curl
    - Movement for the upper wrists but doesn’t concentrate on them as much. Can be done alternating, at the same time or sitting down
    - Can be done

Wrist twists
    - Great exercise that works both top and bottom forearms

Quads and hamstrings – Very hard to do. There are no machines or barbells or power racks which are so useful when training the legs. It is even harder than doing back.

Squats (Holding dumbbells behind your body, at the sides or infront of your body) – The squat is essential for good legs. That’s why you should have any form of squatting in an all dumbbell workout. Holding the dumbbells behind the back is like hack squatting without a barbell. It will be awkward using dumbbells at first but you have to get used to it.
    - Squats work mostly the quads, glutes, hamstrings and a bit of the calves.
    - You have to go all the way down making sure your knee’s don’t pass your feet or else you will have knee problems. Going all the way down will ensure your upper quads will get hit and your hamstrings will get some work. If you don’t go all the way down then your upper quads will lack something that will make your legs look like a joke over time.
    - Doing it with a close foot stance with feet facing forward will work the outer quads more but it will be harder to hold the dumbbells
    - Doing it with a wider stance with feet pointing diagonally will work more of the inner quads. This is good since it’s easier to hold the dumbbells

Dumbbell step ups – Hold dumbbells at your sides and step up on a bench alternating legs
    - Works the quads, hamstrings well

Dumbbell lunges – Work the stabilizer muscles which is a good addition
    - These are a good exercise for working the hamstring. It also works the quads.
    - Performing it so that you lunge in a diagonal line to the side will work more of the inner parts of the leg.
    - Make sure you knee doesn’t pass your toe or else you will have knee problems

Stiff legged dead-lifts
    - Amazing compound movement that hits the hamstrings as well as the lower back

Traditional deadlifts
    - Another great compound movement that hits the quads and hamstrings

Olympic lifts and cleans
    - These are compound movements that work the hamstrings and quads as well as a bunch of different muscle groups
    - The only problem is that using dumbbells is harder than using a barbell
    - Also these aren’t really mass builders for the legs

Calves – These are also hard to do since you lose the standing machine calve raises and the seated calve raises. All calve raises should be performed so that the foot is elevated on something while the heel dips down. For example doing calve raises on a piece of wood.

One legged calve raises – Hold a dumbbell and perform with one leg.
    - Great movement to concentrate on the calves

Dumbbell Seated One-Leg Calf Raise
    - Harder to do, but it still works the calve well.

Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise
    - This is another exercise that isolates the calves.
    - You have to balance yourself and it might take some time to get used to it

Standing rocking calve raise – Can be done with dumbbells although its harder without a barbell
    - You have to be balanced and it might take time to get used to

THE ACTUAL WORKOUT
    - One thing to keep in mind is to work the main muscle rather than the surrounding ones. By this I mean for biceps work the main muscle more than you work the inner and outer parts. So in this workout it doesn’t have inner and outer biceps concentration exercise so put some in your next workout.
    - Change your workout every 1-2 months to stop your muscles from adapting to the workout resulting in a plateau
    - Change your rep range to stop getting a plateau. So instead of doing the same old ten reps do 6 or twelve or eight.

Monday – Biceps, triceps (Super set with arms, when you do this start off each super set with the bicep exercise. Then next week start each superset with a tricep exercise) and abs
    Hammer curls: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Alternating curls: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl Over Incline Bench: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Dumbbell bench press: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Skull crushers: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Dips tricep variation: 6-12 x 3 sets

Decline crunches: 8-15 x 3 sets
    Leg raises between two objects: 8-15 x 3 sets
    Dumbbell side bend: 8-15 x 3 sets

Tuesday: Legs and lower back
    Dumbbell hack squats: 8-12 x 5-6 sets
    Lunges: 8-12 x 3 sets
    Stiff legged deadlifts: 8-12 x 3 sets
    Hyperextensions: 8-12 x 3 sets
    One legged calf raises: 8-15 x 3-4 sets
    Standing dumbbell calf raise: 8-12 x 3-4 sets

Wednesday – Rest

Thursday – Chest and back
    Chest variation dips: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Flat bench flys: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Incline dumbbell bench press: 6-12 x 3 sets

One arm rows: 6-12 x 4 sets
    Bent over rows: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Rhomboid shrugs: 6-12 x 3 sets

Friday – Rest

Saturday – Shoulders, superset with wrists and traps
    Rear deltoid laterals: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Lateral raises: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Shoulder dumbbell press: 6-12 x 5 sets

Dumbbell shrugs with dumbbells infront of body: 8-12 x 3 sets
    Incline bench shrugs: 8-12 x 3 sets

Palms up wrist curls over bench: 6-12 x 3 sets
    Palms down wrist curls over bench: 6-12 x 3 sets

Sunday – Rest
    Last edited by ho_124; 10-15-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Thumbs up Page 4

Bonus question
    To some extent you lose benefit using an all dumbbell workout. Maybe if you try it for just one or two workout programs then it will be alright. But if you do it for the rest of your life it could affect your gains since you don’t have barbells and machines to work the muscle more effectively. Basically without barbells and machines you lose half or even more of the exercises you can do. The best workout would incorporate machines, barbells and dumbbells together. Also when using a barbell sometimes you might use one arm more than another. For example bench press. You might use your right arm more than your left arm because it’s weaker and sometimes you might not know. With dumbbells your right arm doesn’t cheat and help your left arm. Each arm does it’s own work. If you wan’t to concentrate on a body part with dumbbells it’s a lot harder since you have to concentrate on stabilizing the weight. Again lets use bench press. With a barbell you can concentrate on using your pecs because the weight is someone more stabilized. But with dumbbells its harder to concentrate on them since your trying to stabilize at the same time.
    There are a few benefits to using dumbbells though. First of all it uses more of the stabilizer muscles. For example on the dumbbell bench press. You have to balance each dumbbell instead of using a barbell where you just have to concentrate on balancing one thing. That’s the reason why you have to use less weight on dumbbell bench press than regular bench press. I mean a lot less weight. Another benefit of using dumbbells is the ability to spot yourself. By this I mean if your doing curls and you finish with your right arm but your left arm is failing, then you can drop the weight in your right arm and help your left arm. You can’t do this when your using barbells or machines. Another benefit that is linked to this is that you don’t need a spotter. For example if your doing squats or bench press with a regular barbell, then you would need a spotter. This isn’t the case with dumbbells, all you have to do if your at failure is drop them at your sides. It’s also easy to do drop sets with dumbbells. This is a technique where you keep lowering the weight after you reach failure or are short of it. With a barbell this would almost be impossible, but with dumbbells you just drop the dumbbells your doing and go to a lower weight.

army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) army muscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why hasn't the winner been posted yet?

the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by army muscle
    Why hasn't the winner been posted yet?
    The winners are posted in the section called 'Who Won This Week':

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=594587

Will
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

thank you

bowflex552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Building Exercises

Originally Posted by army muscle View Post
    thank you

In a body building program, the exercises that you do can make all the difference between an effective program and one that won't do much good. The good thing is that there are many, many body building exercises you can incorporate into your workout that will help grow your muscles and keep you fit and trim.

For big legs, you"ll want to do a lot of barbell squats and dead lifts. The resistance you are putting on your legs when you perform these types of exercises will push your muscles to make them grow. That's the point of an intense workout program in the first place. Lifting weights with your legs instead of your arms will help the quadriceps and hamstrings become tight and fit.

When working your arms, the body building exercises you should count on will consist a lot of barbell and dumbbell curls and well as bench presses. It's easy when performing these exercises to just concentrate on lifting the weights, but what you really need to do is focus on the strain the weights are putting on your arm muscles. Really push them as you are lifting and feel how they are working in response.

Great abs are formed much in the same way as any other muscle group. They need to be worked, strained, and pushed in order to become toned. You can get that toned, sculpted look by doing simple sit ups and crunches, but weights can help too. Try hanging from a chin up bar and lifting your knees up, or get on a machine specially designed to tone the ab muscles.

When working the upper back, a pull-down bar machine will make all the difference in the world. This is a two handled curved bar that is attached to weights with a pulley system. You pull the bar down with your shoulders behind you.

It's important when choosing body building exercises that you pick the ones that you are physically able to do. Then be very conscious of the way the exercise is supposed to be performed. If you don't pay special attention to your form, you risk injury which can set back your body building program significantly.

Do your research on what types of body building exercises will work specific muscle groups and then incorporate them into your workout regimen. Pick a variety of exercises that will make your body everything you dreamed it could be and do them on a regular basis. The reward is a toned, fit body that you can be proud of!

GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GooBaaa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Agreed