Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rip to shreds in progress raymondh's Avatar
    raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

what type of electrolytes are in gatorade?

went to the gatorade site and they did not include specific type of electrolytes such as what form..phosphate, etc... anyone know? I'm doing cardio and would like to know what form of electrolytes that is best suited.
    Interested in making an extra $3000+/month from home by working for a publically listed NYSE company? PM your e-mail or AIM address and we'll talk. U.S. Only.

[url]www.futureworks.xs3.com[/url] Professional websites $200-$300 per project. No hourly rates.

Redneck College Student The Booger's Avatar
    The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As far as I can find they are the minerals Na, K, and Cl. I'll leave you to do the rest.

If you want to make your own alternative: http://www.silvermedicine.org/gatora...ctrolytes.html

Edit: More searching yielded this quote from wikipedia.com

"Gatorade contains water, sucrose and glucose-fructose syrups, citric acid, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, and flavoring/coloring ingredients. It supplies 127 mg/l of potassium and 464 mg/l of sodium, and 59 g/l of carbohydrates (in the form of sugars)."

I hope that answers your question. If not, at least I tried
    Last edited by The Booger; 10-12-2005 at 04:53 PM.

envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50) envirocopy512 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The kind that give me diarrhea with a vengance!

raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10) raymondh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by The Booger
    As far as I can find they are the minerals Na, K, and Cl. I'll leave you to do the rest.

If you want to make your own alternative: http://www.silvermedicine.org/gatora...ctrolytes.html

Edit: More searching yielded this quote from wikipedia.com

"Gatorade contains water, sucrose and glucose-fructose syrups, citric acid, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, and flavoring/coloring ingredients. It supplies 127 mg/l of potassium and 464 mg/l of sodium, and 59 g/l of carbohydrates (in the form of sugars)."

I hope that answers your question. If not, at least I tried

thanks, I know that gatorade has magneisum, sodium, calcium, and potassium, not sure what form, but from the post in wiki, looks like it has sodium in cloride and citrate form, why not phosphate? Potassium in phosphate form, why monopotassium? I assume is it calcium phosphate and magnesium phosphate?
    Interested in making an extra $3000+/month from home by working for a publically listed NYSE company? PM your e-mail or AIM address and we'll talk. U.S. Only.

[url]www.futureworks.xs3.com[/url] Professional websites $200-$300 per project. No hourly rates.

Redneck College Student The Booger's Avatar
    The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10) The Booger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You know what, I just did 10 minutes of searching and couldn't find a darn thing.

That information is probably covered under the patent. I wonder why they are formed like that also.....

bump

sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by raymondh
    thanks, I know that gatorade has magneisum, sodium, calcium, and potassium, not sure what form, but from the post in wiki, looks like it has sodium in cloride and citrate form, why not phosphate? Potassium in phosphate form, why monopotassium? I assume is it calcium phosphate and magnesium phosphate?
    I am not an expert on electrolytes but I figure that exercise and sweating causes more of a loss in K, Cl, and Na. Insufficient K is a common problem for endurance athletes.

Originally Posted by sonick
    I am not an expert on electrolytes but I figure that exercise and sweating causes more of a loss in K, Cl, and Na. Insufficient K is a common problem for endurance athletes.

right, potassium, clorine (cloride), and sodium, but what forms...

sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    right, potassium, clorine (cloride), and sodium, but what forms...
    As an electrolyte, that is all there is to it.
    K+, Cl-, Na+

Your dietary intake is a different issue. Most of us eat salt as NaCl, maybe KCl. Other electrolytes can be bonded to whatever, but your end result you need is sufficient levels of that specific electrolyte.

The ionic charge gives them function as electrolytes, such as cellular and nervous system. Different electrolytes serve different functions. I believe perspiration and overhyrdration are more often related to these three (especially Na+) with excessive loss. For example, when you sweat a lot, you lose quite a bit of salt. That is why your skin taste salty after a long run. But something like magnesium or calcium, though important to an athlete, is not a serious concern from perspiration. Disease, organ failure, and the chitz are more likely to be related to the excessive loss of other electrolytes.

I have limited knowledge on this and I could be wrong on a few things but I believe that is why gatoraide is made the way it is. I think its a pretty good formula for endurance sports though it seems like a few companies came out with better sugar and carb formulas (like cytosport).
    Last edited by sonick; 10-12-2005 at 08:08 PM.

As an electrolyte, that is all there is to it.
    K+, Cl-, Na+

Your dietary intake is a different issue. Most of us eat salt as NaCl, maybe KCl. Other electrolytes can be bonded to whatever, but your end result you need is sufficient levels of that specific electrolyte.

The ionic charge gives them function as electrolytes, such as cellular and nervous system. Different electrolytes serve different functions. I believe perspiration and overhyrdration are more often related to these three (especially Na+) with excessive loss. For example, when you sweat a lot, you lose quite a bit of salt. That is why your skin taste salty after a long run. But something like magnesium or calcium, though important to an athlete, is not a serious concern from perspiration. Disease, organ failure, and the chitz are more likely to be related to the excessive loss of other electrolytes.

I have limited knowledge on this and I could be wrong on a few things but I believe that is why gatoraide is made the way it is. I think its a pretty good formula for endurance sports though it seems like a few companies came out with better sugar and carb formulas (like cytosport).
    right, those three are the most crucial for cardio, etc... but in what forms will they be most beneficial to cardio workouts?

anyone?

anyone?
    Heheh, what I'm trying to get at...
    Well I don't know what is best. But you don't need a whole lot of the stuff either. As long as those electrolytes are bonded in a way where they can be broken up and used, it should be fine.

For example, table, NaCl, pretty much takes care of Na+ and Cl- electrolyte requirements.
    For the potassium there are different ways. But anything bonded to potassium (I've seen quite a few different forms that seem to satisfy FDA potassium requirements), such as monopotasium phosphate, should be fine. Gatoraide supplies the electrolytes pretty generously, so most people aren't concerned if they use the best forms of potassium. Gatoraide is also supposed to be coming out with a new formula for higher-demanding endurance sports, so it may have an even higher electrolyte and hopefully better carb contents.

I think you are looking too far into this. If anything is wrong with taking gatoraide, it is probably the sugars for those workouts less than an hour that don't need it.

Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think you are looking too far into this. If anything is wrong with taking gatoraide, it is probably the sugars for those workouts less than an hour that don't need it.
    Good point !!! Definitely no need for G-ade for shorter workouts (hell, if I'm not going for more than 2 hours, I'll drink some at half-strength....full strength is a lil "much" unless I'm on an epic ride, or something....and then, half strength is usually fine as I will supplement with various Gu's as needed, as well)

My heart pumps ETHER CHUCK DIESEL's Avatar
    CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000) CHUCK DIESEL is just really nice. (+1000)
    went to the gatorade site and they did not include specific type of electrolytes such as what form..phosphate, etc... anyone know? I'm doing cardio and would like to know what form of electrolytes that is best suited.
    Gaotoraid really doesnt replinsh any electrolytes. The small amount of sugar in there helps you rehydrate faster.

Originally Posted by CHUCK DIESEL
    Gaotoraid really doesnt replinsh any electrolytes. The small amount of sugar in there helps you rehydrate faster.

i'm not exactly targeting gatorade, but want to know what kind of electrolytes with what types of forms would be best for hydration...chuck?

DaMainEvent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaMainEvent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaMainEvent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaMainEvent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd like to know as well. I found this site http://www.usatriathlon.org/Event_Sa...05_ef_faqs.pdf

it lists that in endurance:

sodium: 200mg
    mag: 3mg
    potassium: 90mg
    calcium: 6mg
    chloride: 90mg

I'd be interested to know what forms of those electrolytes are. I would guess the phosphates are used but that is a shot in thin air.

bump

Originally Posted by DaMainEvent
    I'd like to know as well. I found this site http://www.usatriathlon.org/Event_Sa...05_ef_faqs.pdf

it lists that in endurance:

sodium: 200mg
    mag: 3mg
    potassium: 90mg
    calcium: 6mg
    chloride: 90mg

I'd be interested to know what forms of those electrolytes are. I would guess the phosphates are used but that is a shot in thin air.
    In there single ionic form (that is there essential purpose). It was posted earlier. Like Na+ and Cl-.

Gatoraide has electrolytes, but not all electrolytes. Mostly the ones you lose from sweating.

In there single ionic form (that is there essential purpose). It was posted earlier. Like Na+ and Cl-.

Gatoraide has electrolytes, but not all electrolytes. Mostly the ones you lose from sweating.

single ionic form? gatorade is targeted for endurance sports such as running. Why is it that most of the electrolytes on the market has the phosphate form? Is the ionic form more suited for sports that sweats a lot such as running?

single ionic form? gatorade is targeted for endurance sports such as running. Why is it that most of the electrolytes on the market has the phosphate form? Is the ionic form more suited for sports that sweats a lot such as running?
    You are asking about two different things.
    Lets just focus on two simple electrolytes.
    You take table salt, which is two electrolytes bonded. NaCl.

Your body uses Na+ and Cl- for cellular functions, such as maintaining proper cell functions in the cell wall. Other electrolytes serve similar functions and functions of the nervous system. This is why electrolyte loss can lead to muscle cramps, heart failure, and other problems. The ionic form is the only way these elements can be used as electrolytes. The ingrediant on the label is the bonded form before your body can break it apart.

So you might be eating salt but in the end you have two electrolytes, Na and Cl.
    In gatoraide, they may use an ingrediant like monopotassium phosphate. They may use other forms for getting phosphate or magnesium (pottasium gluconate for example), but in the end you are really aiming for K+ as the electrolyte. Sodium Chloride and and monopotassium phosphate, in those forms, are not really working as electrolytes. Same thing for calcium. Calcium comes in many forms, such as calcium citrate and calcium carbonate. Your first concern is getting the calcium in the ionic form. The only difference the attached group (carbonate or citrate) is the absorbtion rate. Calcium carbonate does not absorb as well in the body, therefor you may need a little more to achieve the desired levels of Ca.

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need some chloride too, otherwise the phosphate won't stay ionized and may precipitate out as calcium phosphate etc.

Then it does you no good.

Actually normally under alkaline conditions (low chloride) calcium binds to plasma proteins like albumin otherwise there could be all kinds of damage done if this precipitated into soft tissues.
    Last edited by Phosphate bond; 10-14-2005 at 01:45 PM.

delusion of grandeur carcinogen's Avatar
    carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    right, those three are the most crucial for cardio, etc... but in what forms will they be most beneficial to cardio workouts?
    sodium ethyl ester
    potassium ethyl ester
    chloride ethyl ester

PATENT PENDING....
    Hidden away in a dark corner.

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by carcinogen
    sodium ethyl ester
    potassium ethyl ester
    chloride ethyl ester

PATENT PENDING....
    Hahaha.

You are asking about two different things.
    Lets just focus on two simple electrolytes.
    You take table salt, which is two electrolytes bonded. NaCl.

Your body uses Na+ and Cl- for cellular functions, such as maintaining proper cell functions in the cell wall. Other electrolytes serve similar functions and functions of the nervous system. This is why electrolyte loss can lead to muscle cramps, heart failure, and other problems. The ionic form is the only way these elements can be used as electrolytes. The ingrediant on the label is the bonded form before your body can break it apart.

So you might be eating salt but in the end you have two electrolytes, Na and Cl.
    In gatoraide, they may use an ingrediant like monopotassium phosphate. They may use other forms for getting phosphate or magnesium (pottasium gluconate for example), but in the end you are really aiming for K+ as the electrolyte. Sodium Chloride and and monopotassium phosphate, in those forms, are not really working as electrolytes. Same thing for calcium. Calcium comes in many forms, such as calcium citrate and calcium carbonate. Your first concern is getting the calcium in the ionic form. The only difference the attached group (carbonate or citrate) is the absorbtion rate. Calcium carbonate does not absorb as well in the body, therefor you may need a little more to achieve the desired levels of Ca.

I see. for running, the main electrolytes are sodium, chloride, and potassium? Then my other question is, what is the best form for absorption?

carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carcinogen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I see. for running, the main electrolytes are sodium, chloride, and potassium? Then my other question is, what is the best form for absorption?
    in water

Originally Posted by carcinogen
    in water
    ok, that was rude...

cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cyclic17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The best form for absorption is a chelated mineral (one that is bonded to an amino acid).
    So, look for Magnesium Chelate, Potassium Chelate, etc

Originally Posted by cyclic17
    The best form for absorption is a chelated mineral (one that is bonded to an amino acid).
    So, look for Magnesium Chelate, Potassium Chelate, etc

any confirmation to this?

in the end you are really aiming for K+ as the electrolyte.................... Your first concern is getting the calcium in the ionic form.

See he is mentioning K+ here because H+ and K+ levels in the extracellular fluid parallel each other. If the serum is too alkaline you won't get ionization of phosphate, calcium, etc

Here is another thought (why do I even get involved in these discussions...shaking my head). Your serum ph will be stabilized no matter what, but it's probably better to have alkaline compensation in the form of lower pco2 (an acid) than increased serum bicarbonate.

You really need to read more on this, because this is complicated stuff and you are jumping into something that requires a deep understanding. This isn't amateur level manipulation.

I'm almost afraid to mention things like this because you really need to understand the total balance of these electrolytes. Trying to nail it down to a few of them without understanding fluid compartements and hormones as well is just begging for disaster.

No offense, but no matter what you do it will probably get screwed up. Don't try overthinking this. Let your body figure it out.
    Last edited by Phosphate bond; 10-14-2005 at 09:40 PM.

I agree with you completely. And I don't have THAT deep of an understanding (as stated earlier), only a more basic level of the role of electrolytes.
    That being said, that is why I figured to not worry about this kind of stuff with gatoraide. As long as no organs are failing, I'm not suffering from a severe illness (like dysentary), and I'm eating healthy, I don't worry about this stuff at all.