Thread: Dips With DBs?

bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dips With DBs?

Hey all I just started doing dips the other week and have found my body weight is way too easy so far. Do you think its possible to stick a DB between my feet somehow and dip like that? I dont have access to a dip belt and cant buy one atm.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    use a backpack

bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50) bukshot will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dont have one.. just a massive laptop backpack that I use for travel occasionally and no way in hell am i using that in the gym. (although it does have nice padded straps)

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i think it's too awkward to hold a 90lb db between my feet....

but a belt, they're cheap.

Lights Out time baby! Lights0ut's Avatar
    Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights0ut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bukshot
    Hey all I just started doing dips the other week and have found my body weight is way too easy so far. Do you think its possible to stick a DB between my feet somehow and dip like that? I dont have access to a dip belt and cant buy one atm.
    Absolutely. I held a dumbell between my knees all the way up to 45 lbs...after that I broke down a got a dip belt. But you should be able to comfortobly hold a dumbell in between your knees up until around the same weight as me. If you have a partner, you can go even heavier and him place the heavy dumbell in between your criss-crossed ankles once you in position, but that's a bit more cumbersome.

I say you use the dumbell up until around 45 lbs.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Sure. I used a dumbbell all the way up to the last one on the rack and finally decided to get off my lazy ass and order a good one since all the local sports store ones were junk.

However, I always had my training partner put the DB between my ankles while I was on the bars and take it away when I was done. Training by yourself would make it a little more awkward. It's also easier with a dip belt because you don't have to waste energy concentrating on holding the DB.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    buy a dip belt, it's only $15
    <->

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    buy a dip belt, it's only $15
    I agree, scrape together the dough to get one, but I've never seen a decent belt for $15. They're usually up around $30US.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dipbelt.htm

Around $20-25 there. Fabric is more comfortable (and you can wash it) but they advertise the leather ones as being more durable. I shelled out a little more for a fabric one that can take the heavy stuff and doesn't use a chain. Groin friendly.

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah the one im using is chain and sometimes its not very pleasing hehe. Just gotta be careful not to swing so much during dips lol. I found that out the hard way.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Money is not the problem but i do not live in the US and the only ones i can get are extremely crappy and not worth the money in stores. I will eventually get a dip belt from BB.com but I have to get it shipped to a relative in the US and then they have to bring it over for me. (a real hassle)

Hmm between the knees sounds really awkward how would i go about positioning myself?

b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b180 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    between the knees is what i do and its not that hard at all, but i will be ordering a belt on my next order

tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yea i just ordered one after many strenous days of doing dips by myself and spending half my energy just trying to get the dumbell in place. Hopefully mine is here today so i can do my dips w/o spending 20 minutes with the damn db. If at all possible get a belt, you can also use it for pullups, and pushups, which are the best mass builders IMO.

Good Luck.
    Sometimes you have to see the bottom before you reach the top

R.I.P.
    Josh aka Fingers
    Steve P.
    Joe G.
    Tiffany G.
    Josh B.
    Steve Irwin (ultimate alpha)

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Money is not the problem but i do not live in the US and the only ones i can get are extremely crappy and not worth the money in stores. I will eventually get a dip belt from BB.com but I have to get it shipped to a relative in the US and then they have to bring it over for me. (a real hassle)

Hmm between the knees sounds really awkward how would i go about positioning myself?

mos tplaces have local warehouses stock piled with lifting stuff - just ask you local gyms where they buy their equipment from.
    <->

Dude getting a dip belt is out of the question right now. I'm on a tiny ass island and I've called everywhere and only found one belt that would pass and it was absolute crap. All the gyms here get their stuff shipped in from the US and other places.

Sorry if i sound hostile but im havin a crap day.

bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000)
    use a back pack or take two belts put one on then loop the other through the one your wearing and put a plate on it then fasten it. It doesnt have to be a weight belt can be a normal one.
    Just live your life with God inside. You wont regret one moment of it. Give all that you have for God.

Dude getting a dip belt is out of the question right now. I'm on a tiny ass island and I've called everywhere and only found one belt that would pass and it was absolute crap. All the gyms here get their stuff shipped in from the US and other places.

Sorry if i sound hostile but im havin a crap day.
    see if you can piggy-back on some gym's next shipment for a bit of extra cash.
    <->

Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think that holding the DB will predispose you to sacrifice form. You can have someone apply resistance by pressing down on your shoulders when you are doing the dips. If it is impossible to get a dip bench you might benefit from this manual resistance approach. Make sure the person has an understanding of muscle fatigue and can provide the appropriate amount of resistance.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yea, personally I hate using DB's, but if that's all you have to go with, then do it.
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.