MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Critique my Routine--H.I.T.

ive been out of the weight lifting game for a while now and wanna start getting back into it...im about 5'8 150 lbs with about 12-14% bodyfat. I'm thinking of doing an H.I.T routine because i can only get to the gym 3 times a week at most...heres the routine im thinking of...im an athlete looking to gain some mass and strength...

Squats
    Deadlifts
    SLDL
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    Barbell Rows
    Barbell Curls
    Over Head Tricep Extensions
    Weighted Ab Machine

I was thinking 2x12 for each exercise...any suggestions? ...i would also do one warmup set for each at about 50% of the weight id be using for the working sets...

are the exercises i chose good? are there any i should add, remove, or replace with something else?

One more question...do i do the two sets of squats then move onto the two sets of deadlifts...or do i do 1 set of each exercise, and then go back and do another set of each exercise (ie circut)??????

Registered User geriatricmuscle's Avatar
    geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Welcome back to the world of lifting. Before you tackle a HIT program why not start off with a basic fullbody workout 3 times a week to reaccustome your muscles, ligiments, cns and mind to the stress and work load?? If you want to take it a step further, take a look at this 4 phase lifting schedule and see what you think. You will find this in the BB.com library.

The Program

Here is a sixteen-week training regimen that will have you ready to purchase a new wardrobe in no time. The sixteen-week program is comprised of four four-week programs.

Each four-week phase is a micro cycle in which training is very focused. The program changes every four weeks in order to avoid adaption and plateaus. This also keeps training interesting and challenging which are two important keys to training longevity.

Phase 1: The Break In

Phase one involves a full body workout that is done three times a week in order to bring you up to speed with all of the exercises and to hit the muscles hard. The more often you do something and recover, the stronger and bigger you will get. Also, practice makes perfect and this phase will give you a chance to practice each exercise frequently.
    Day 1: Mass Day

A-1: Bottom position bench press 3x5

A-2: Bent over row 3x5

B-1: Barbell squat 3x6

B-2: Stiff legged deadlift 3x6

C-1: Military press 2x5

C-2: Weighted pull-up 2x5
    Finisher

Pushups: 25 reps

Bodyweight squat: 50 reps
    Click Here For A Printable Log Of Mass Day.

In order to save time and make each workout more effective, the exercises are paired up in antagonistic fashion. In other words, exercises that work opposite muscles are paired up into modified super sets.

Here is how it works, do one set of A-1, wait a minute and then do a set of A-2. Again wait a minute before doing another set of A-1. Go back and forth until you have completed all of the sets and reps.

Once you have completed one pair move on to the next pair. Use the same weight on all of the working sets. Once you can complete all of the sets and reps, increase the weight by 5-10lbs at the next workout.

Day 2: Power Day

A-1: Weighted dips 3x3

A-2: Bent over row 3x3

B-1: Barbell squat 3x3

B-2: Stiff legged deadlift 3x3

C-1: Military press 2x3

C-2: Weighted pull-up 2x3
    Finisher

Click Here For A Printable Log Of Power Day.

Same instructions as day 1 with this workout.

Day 3: Rest Pause Strength Day

Military press 6x1

Weighted pull-up 6x1

Stiff-legged deadlift 6x1

Barbell squat 6x1

Bent over row 4x1

Bottom position bench press 4x1
    Finisher

Click Here For A Printable Log Of Rest Pause Strength Day.

In this workout, you are going to apply a super effective training method called Rest Pause Training (RPT). Legendary bodybuilders such as Mike Mentzer and Dorian Yates used this intense training method to blast through training plateaus and pack on size and strength.

Here is how it works. Pick a weight that you can do three times with excellent form. Do one rep, wait 10-15 seconds and then do another rep and wait 10-15 seconds. Keep going until you have completed all six sets.

If you manage to nail six sets, increase the weight by 5-10 lbs. at the next workout. This is an intense training method that will stimulate your CNS (central nervous system) tremendously. Rather than feel fatigued after a rest pause workout you will feel energized.

One thing that you have probably noticed with this program is that the legwork is always in the middle. Barbell squats and stiff-legged deadlift workouts take the most amount of energy. Thus, doing them first might make you too fatigued to finish your workout.

On the other hand, if you wait until the end of your workouts, you might be too fatigued to hit the exercises properly. Thus, we are going to take a lesson from the Buddha here and take the middle road.

Phase Two: The 5x5 Method

Now that you have a good foundation, it is time to take training up a notch and apply a proven training protocol. The 5x5 program was a favorite of legendary bodybuilder Reg Park and for good reason. It flat out works when done properly. Here is how it is done, do two warm up sets and then begin your first working set.
    The goal is to complete five sets of five using the same weight on all of the sets. Lets say that you nail three sets of five, but only hit 2-3 reps on sets four and five. No big deal, just stay with that weight until you can complete all five sets. Once you achieve five sets, increase the weight by five to ten pounds. Because more volume is being used, you are only going to hit each muscle group twice a week. Here is how the program will break down:

Day 1: Monday-Thursday

A-1: Bottom position bench press 5x5

A-2: Bent-over row 5x5

B-1: Weighted pull-up 5x5

B-2: Military press 5x5
    Click Here For A Printable Log Of Monday-Thursday.

Again do each pair in antagonistic fashion. Do a set of A-1, wait two minutes and then do a set of A-2. Wait two minutes before completing another set of A-1. After you have completed all five sets of A-1 and A-2, take a three-minute break and then move on to B-1 and B-2. Apply the same rest periods there.

Day 2: Tuesday-Friday

A-1: Stiff legged deadlift 5x5

A-2: Barbell squat 5x5
    Same Instructions as Day 1.

Click Here For A Printable Log Of Tuesday-Friday.

Make sure that you rest up as much as possible on all of your day off. While this program does not look like that much on paper, you will find that it is very challenging (assuming that you are putting in maximum effort).

Phase 3: Pump Up The Volume

Now that you have built a good foundation with Phase 1 and took it up a notch with Phase 2, you are ready to play in the major leagues. Now it is time to apply a method called the German Volume Training (GVT) method. GVT calls for doing ten sets of ten reps for each exercise at each workout.
    While the 10x10 program worked for many trainees, a lot of trainees found the volume to be way too much. One hundred reps per exercise is a hell of a lot and will get old real fast. I have found that 10x5 works much better. In addition 10x3 works very well as well. Thus, what I am going to have you do is do 10x5 in week one.

In week two, you are going to do 10x3. Then in week three, you will return to 10x5. Finally in week four, you will rap up with 10x3. By varying the reps each workout, you will be able to avoid burnout and get stronger and bigger faster. Because the volume is much higher in this phase, you will only be hitting each exercise once a week. Here is how it will breakdown:

Monday: Chest & Back

A-1: Bent-over barbell row (week 1-3 10x5, week 2-4, 10x3)

A-2: Weighted dip (week 1-3 10x5, week 2-4, 10x3)
    Click Here For A Printable Log Of Weeks 1-3 Chest & Back.
    Click Here For A Printable Log Of Weeks 2-4 Chest & Back.

Take ninety-second breaks in between each set of A-1 and A-2. Stick with the same weight until you can complete all ten sets. Once you can complete all ten sets, increase the weight by five to ten pounds.

Wednesday: Legs

A-1: Stiff-legged deadlift (week 1-3 10x5, week 2-4 10x3)

A-2: Barbell squat (week 1-3 10x5, week 2-4 10x3)
    Click Here For A Printable Log Of Weeks 1-3 Legs.
    Click Here For A Printable Log Of Weeks 2-4 Legs.

Same directions as Monday

Friday: Shoulders & Lats

A-1: Military press (week 1-3 10x5, week 2-4 10x3)

A-2: Weighted pull-up (week 1-3 10x5, week 2-4 10x3)
    Click Here For A Printable Log Of Weeks 1-3 Shoulders & Lats.
    Click Here For A Printable Log Of Weeks 2-4 Shoulders & Lats.

Phase 4: Every Ending Has A Beginning

After four weeks of super high volume, you will welcome going back to full body workouts with much lower volume. In fact, the full body low volume workouts will feel like active recovery in comparison. Thus, we are going to end the program where we began. Repeat phase one for the final four weeks.
    After sixteen weeks on the "Compound Solution Program" you should have increased your size and strength tremendously. Moreover, your arms should look bigger than ever. At this point you have a great foundation in the most effective exercises for size and strength.

Feel free to add in some variety to your program by trying out some other similar exercises such as:

Dumbbell press
    Dumbbell clean and press (Ex. Shown With Barbell)
    Front squat
    Dumbbell row etc.
    In fact you could do the entire sixteen weeks again with a dumbbell only routine to really rock the stabilizers and really bring in some thick muscle growth

gm
    Last edited by geriatricmuscle; 10-11-2005 at 02:34 PM.

Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by croatia
    ive been out of the weight lifting game for a while now and wanna start getting back into it...im about 5'8 150 lbs with about 12-14% bodyfat. I'm thinking of doing an H.I.T routine because i can only get to the gym 3 times a week at most...heres the routine im thinking of...im an athlete looking to gain some mass and strength...

Squats
    Deadlifts
    SLDL
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    Barbell Rows
    Barbell Curls
    Over Head Tricep Extensions
    Weighted Ab Machine

I was thinking 2x12 for each exercise...any suggestions? ...i would also do one warmup set for each at about 50% of the weight id be using for the working sets...

are the exercises i chose good? are there any i should add, remove, or replace with something else?

One more question...do i do the two sets of squats then move onto the two sets of deadlifts...or do i do 1 set of each exercise, and then go back and do another set of each exercise (ie circut)??????

To answer your last question first. No, it's not circuit training. You do the next exercise only after you've done all your sets for the previous one.

Next, your routine. Here's a better one:

1. Squat. 3 x 10-12 reps.
    2. Chin-ups, pull down machine (for those not yet strong enough to perform chin-ups), DB rows, or machine rows. 3 x 8-10 reps.
    3. Overhead press. (barbell or dumbbell). 3 x 8-10 reps.
    4. Deadlift or shrugs. 3 x 8-10 reps. See note below.*
    5. Dips, barbell bench press, or dumbbell bench press. 3 x 8 - 10 reps.
    6. Crunches. 2 x 10-15 reps.

* If you are just starting out, do the deadlift every time. When you get good at this, you can alternate from workout to workout between deadlifts and shrugs.

You should be able to complete this routine in an hour, once you know how to do all the lifts. The first couple of times it may take longer. If you are pressed for time, just do the first four movements. In that case, forget about the bench or dips, but try to do the crunches at home when you get time.

Don't add weight to any lift until you can complete all of your sets while maintaining good form. It is normal while learning to have some wobbling and it would not be unreasonable to stick at the same weights for a month (when you first start) before adding weight. You want to be in control. After you have that control, you should be able to add weight at least once per week.

MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MB13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    anyone else have any opinions or help on what i can do...??

Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by croatia
    anyone else have any opinions or help on what i can do...??
    You can also ask on the Hardgainer message board www.hardgainer.com.

Lots of HITers there.

www.cyberpump.com has a lot of HIT articles as well.

geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    HIT is not very popular here, or in many other training circles. Follow what geriatric told you and appreciate someone writing all of that to help you out. After 8-12 weeks on that program, then start looking at the more complex things...

Originally Posted by geoffsherman
    HIT is not very popular here, or in many other training circles. Follow what geriatric told you and appreciate someone writing all of that to help you out. After 8-12 weeks on that program, then start looking at the more complex things...
    im pretty sure he just copy and pasted it...actually im 100% sure...and secondly im looking for help on my H.I.T routine...