d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500)

how far should i be able to run?

Hi all, I've been running everynight this past week while eating a good diet and will continue untill I get in to shape but I'm concerned about my fitness.

I can only run 3/4 the route I take before I must stop and walk.

That is about inbetween 1/4 and 1/2 of a mile.

So is that normal for me?

I'm 6ft, 12.5 stone.
    Last edited by d3v; 10-08-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Workin_ It has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was in the same position as you only 4 months ago my friend (I could go about 1/2 mile). Just keep running and you will get better. I am preparing for my first 5k a week from today.

NightTrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightTrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightTrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightTrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightTrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightTrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightTrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

try jogging 1/2 the distance then walking for a min or two then jog some more.each day you jog,jog a little bit further than walk some,before you know it you while be jogging the whole distance without walking in the middle of your jog. you should remember to stretch and walk before and after your run/jog. you have to train your body/lungs breathing pattern to the point that your not out of breath,your breathing should be consistant the whole time you jog but that will take time till you train your lungs/body.

i used to jog alot till i kept getting shin splints now i just mtnbike which gives me much better quicker results and is hella fun off road here in coloardo. good luck bro

d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500) d3v is not very helpful. (-500)
    Thanks guys.

So basically I just have to keep doing the same route and eventually I will be able to get a little further and further and eventually complete the whole route without stopping???

How many runs do you reckon it would take for me to be able to do it all without stopping to walk???

shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10) shinobidoode is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just keep going at it. The key is to be consistent. The more you run, the longer the duration you'll be able to conquer. You'll discover new strategies as to how to breathe, body manuveurs, thinking mentality. When I first started, I was only able to run abour half my route. Then one day, I surprised myself by running the whole thing. After that, it became a piece of cake and I had to plan out longer route.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply. Do it.

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by d3v
    Hi all, I've been running everynight this past week while eating a good diet and will continue untill I get in to shape but I'm concerned about my fitness.

I can only run 3/4 the route I take before I must stop and walk.

That is about in between 1/4 and 1/2 of a mile.

So is that normal for me?
    All that you can do right now is to do what you can -- use that as a benchmark for the next time you run, and see if you can add a little more. Stay with it for the long haul and work your way up to your fitness goal in increments.

Try to think of it more in terms of time than distance. Your goal should be something in the vicinity of 30-60 minutes (below 30 minutes probably won't be enough to make a significant difference; more than 60 minutes probably not good for preserving lean mass).

A good goal to aim for would be a ten minute mile -- running for 45 minutes would get you about 4.5 miles (a little over 7km). It may take you a while to reach this, but stick with it and you'll get there eventually.

Taking 30 minutes of travel and breaking it up into what portion of it you can run and then walking the remainder would work also. Just try to run a little bit more of it each time -- pick a marker of some sort, a tree or a signpost, and try to get past it next time.

Good luck...

C.K.

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by d3v
    Thanks guys.

So basically I just have to keep doing the same route and eventually I will be able to get a little further and further and eventually complete the whole route without stopping???

How many runs do you reckon it would take for me to be able to do it all without stopping to walk???
    It's a bit like developing strength. Running is all about developing wind.

When I started I could only get to 1mile before getting too out of breath. I kept at it, just kept on grinding it, and now I often jog home from work which is about 5 miles. Also, remember not to go too fast at first, some guys just think they're the greatest and try and run it. It's a jog.
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) deerslayer79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The cardiorespiratory aspect is only one piece of overall fitness. It's hard to have everything...I wouldn't be concerned. I wouldn't excuse your running either though. Just keep at it. Make small, attainable goals.

One thing that I like to do with my running is make it a goal that the next time I run my course, I will run only 50 feet farther. It's not much, but it adds up.

thanks for the tips guys!

They certainly worked... I was able to run the whole route without stopping this time!

I've only just came back.

I'm gonna think of another route right now and run that. This time it will be twice as long!

A few questions...

Is their any perticular way of brething to my running easier. If so, what is it because I simply breath in and out of my mouth...

Is there a "best time of day" to run or is anytime OK? I useually run between 11:00pm and 12:00AM !

Thanks.
    Last edited by d3v; 10-09-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by d3v
    Is their any perticular way of brething to my running easier. If so, what is it because I simply breath in and out of my mouth...
    Let nature take its course. Breathe out of your mouth if you want, it's better (while training aerobically) because your lungs have more oxygen supply.

Originally Posted by d3v
    Is there a "best time of day" to run or is anytime OK? I usually run between 11:00pm and 12:00AM !
    Any time you want. But to optimise your running ability, it's best to run after getting a full night's sleep and plenty of glycogen (carbs) in your muscles. Some people get up at 6am to run, others like an evening jog. It's all down to preference!!
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I kind of prefer evening jogging sessions. I'm always hopped up at night for some reason, even if I've been tired throughout the day. I feels good to go out for a run about 9pm and then that gives me a couple hours before bedtime to wind down.

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by ripped_holla
    I kind of prefer evening jogging sessions. I'm always hopped up at night for some reason, even if I've been tired throughout the day. I feels good to go out for a run about 9pm and then that gives me a couple hours before bedtime to wind down.
    Same here. Just about always run in the evening, apart from the rare morning/afternoon run over the weekend, or in the daytime during the summer to get some skin canc -- erm, sun exposure.

I just get really motivated to pound the pavement later in the day for some reason.

C.K.

Dokstarr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dokstarr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know how you feel.. When I first started running I could do about a mile at the most. Now I can bang out 8 miles or so at a time. I could probably do more, but I don't want to increase more than 1 mile a week in my long runs to try to lessen any unneeded stress on shins.

I run probably 3-4 days a week. I usually do 1 medium day where I run around a 8 minute mile pace for about 3 miles. I long day where I run around an 8-8:30 pace for like 8 miles, and 1 short day where I do about 2 miles on a 400 meter track alternating between sprints for 45 secs, and slow jogging for a min.

You'll build up in know time.

Just make sure to have good shoes and listen to your body if you shins, ankles, knees, etc hurt.

I'm getting ready for my first 10 mile race in a couple of weeks, and then its just a hop, skip and a jump to 26.2 miles for a marathon.