mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

muscles used in a bat swing?

are their any specific muscles that are used when you swing a baseball bat? I just was wondering since im hoping to improve my swing by strengthening those muscles. I think its got to do with the back and biceps mostly, but if im wrong please tell me.
    ..::Word of the Wise::..

Always leave 'em wanting more.

All first dates are interviews.

Women are like slingshots, the greater the resistance, the farther you can get with them.

Divide and Conquer.

high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10) high_standards is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i believe core strength is most important in swinging power
    Transforming in 2012!

SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SohrabIL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mgnails
    are their any specific muscles that are used when you swing a baseball bat? I just was wondering since im hoping to improve my swing by strengthening those muscles. I think its got to do with the back and biceps mostly, but if im wrong please tell me.
    Hmm
    Feels like your using your Lats, hips so legs?, Triceps, forearms, a bit of shoulders?
    Persian

mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mgnails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think lats is a big one. i had just got done working my lats and everytime i swung a bat it hurt. When they healed up i found i got further distance on the ball. i always thought back was the biggest for power. it probably is core strength though
    ..::Word of the Wise::..

Always leave 'em wanting more.

All first dates are interviews.

Women are like slingshots, the greater the resistance, the farther you can get with them.

Divide and Conquer.

drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) drexebo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    for the last time... the penis is NOT a muscle!

GregC525 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GregC525 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    when you swing a bat, the primary power is from the shoulder. When you go through a rotating motion you are putting strain on the rotator cuff, so you should do exercise for that. Also, any pushing motion will make use of the triceps, so your tris should get a tiny bit of work swinging a bat. Also, core is very important as your body rotates when you swing a bat. Lats?!??, are not involved in the swing at all. Your lats stretch when you swing a bat, but nothing else. They probably hurt that day because you did a good lat workout then kept continually stretching them by swinging. hope this helps. Oh, and forearms are what keep your grip on the bat.
    Have a great day

Trainer31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Trainer31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mgnails View Post
    Honestly I would use a medicine ball because your hips are the power source for any type of rotation force generated by the body and any good trainer worth his salt will tell you the same thing medicine ball throws across the body on both sides work the hips, work the hips, work the hips, and guess what work the hips. But let me break it down for you

First a batting swing takes place in the transverse plane so when one side of your body is pushing the other side is pulling just keep that in mind.
    The power of a batting swing does not start in the shoulders, it comes from the hips so lets break those muscles down first:

Illiopsoas; (helps rotate your stomach)
    Sartorius; (tilts the hips for position of body during the swing)
    Gluteus Maximus; (also tilts the hips for position of the body)
    Gluteus medius; (used for both external and internal hip rotation)
    Gluteus minimus; (hip flexion and internal rotation pretty much your)
    all external rotators (these muscles aid in the rotation phase when your hips are generating power from the ground)
    Gemellus Superior
    Gemellus inferior
    Piriformis
    Obturator Externus
    Obturator Internus
    Quadratus Femoris
    Semi Tendinosus; (all depends on the handedness of the batter but used as a synergist)
    TFL (Tensor Fascia Latae); Also used as a synergist

After theses muscles fire the energy they produce from the rotation of the hips depending on the handedness of the batter depends on which side of the body's muscle will be agonists and antagonists. With that being said the muscles in the torsoe are also working synergistically with the hips to increase the force of the swing. The muscles firing in the torsoe are as follows

Serratus anterior; (stabilization)
    External oblique; abdominal (main synergist of the hips during rotation)
    Rectus abdominis; (stabilization)
    Transverse Abdominus; (mainly during the exhale breath cycle of the swing)

The upper body and the arms are mainly a conduit for the transfer of energy from the hips to the bat however almost all of the back muscles fire along with all of the muscles in the arms. The main muscles to be concerned with are as follows

Trapezius; (both lower and middle) elevate and depress the shoulder girdle for swing
    Rhomboids; aid in bat holding in stance phase
    Posterior Deltoids; both of these are used during the stance and swing
    Infraspinatus; (part of rotator cuff and SITS muscle group)
    Teres Minor; (also part of rotator cuff and SITS muscle group)
    Triceps Brachii; extension of the arm during the swing
    Aconeus; extension and stabilization of the arm
    Biceps Brachii; stabilizer only
    Pronator; Teres mainly used on trail hand to snap the bat at max power
    Pronator; Quadratus same as the pronator teres
    Brachialis; flexion of the arm stabilization only
    Supinator; lead hand supinates to help trail hand pronate and deliver max force to ball
    Brachioradialius; aids supinator and pronator muscle groups

Now there are several different phases of the the batting swing the first is the Stance phase, the only muscles firing would be those of the shoulders and the arms because they are holding the bat.
    The Rotation phase is the phase when the shoulders and arms are still holding the bat, but the muscles of the hip and upper legs have begun firing, thus creating the force of the swing.
    The Transfer phase is when all the muscles are firing at the same time, the bat has begun to move toward the and the pulling arm or lead arm is begining to act on the bat to put rotation on the bat that will transfer to the ball when it is hit.
    The Max Power phase the hips have fired and are in a recovery state to gain control of the power generated, the upper body muscles are still being used to stabilize the bat, the power has been generated and transfered through the body to the bat, all force generated is at the end of the bat, from this point the bat will lose power.
    The Recovery Phase, The main muscles that deccelerate the bat are the Bicep Brachii and the Tricep Brachii. During this phase the two muscle groups synergistically to slow down the bat and ultimately it is their lack of range of motion that slows down and stops the bat. In this phase the body is in a recoil state awaiting to be reset for another swing.

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strong first post...
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Most of the power comes from the legs, but having strong shoulders/lats obviously help too.

Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NewbieX2 View Post
    Strong first post...
    this, and grave dig

Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    its pretty much a kinetic chain, it starts in your legs but the torque is created in your hips and core, having a strong back and forearms helps a lot also.

xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Trainer31 View Post
    Honestly I would use a medicine ball because your hips are the power source for any type of rotation force generated by the body and any good trainer worth his salt will tell you the same thing medicine ball throws across the body on both sides work the hips, work the hips, work the hips, and guess what work the hips. But let me break it down for you

First a batting swing takes place in the transverse plane so when one side of your body is pushing the other side is pulling just keep that in mind.
    The power of a batting swing does not start in the shoulders, it comes from the hips so lets break those muscles down first:

Illiopsoas; (helps rotate your stomach)
    Sartorius; (tilts the hips for position of body during the swing)
    Gluteus Maximus; (also tilts the hips for position of the body)
    Gluteus medius; (used for both external and internal hip rotation)
    Gluteus minimus; (hip flexion and internal rotation pretty much your)
    all external rotators (these muscles aid in the rotation phase when your hips are generating power from the ground)
    Gemellus Superior
    Gemellus inferior
    Piriformis
    Obturator Externus
    Obturator Internus
    Quadratus Femoris
    Semi Tendinosus; (all depends on the handedness of the batter but used as a synergist)
    TFL (Tensor Fascia Latae); Also used as a synergist

After theses muscles fire the energy they produce from the rotation of the hips depending on the handedness of the batter depends on which side of the body's muscle will be agonists and antagonists. With that being said the muscles in the torsoe are also working synergistically with the hips to increase the force of the swing. The muscles firing in the torsoe are as follows

Serratus anterior; (stabilization)
    External oblique; abdominal (main synergist of the hips during rotation)
    Rectus abdominis; (stabilization)
    Transverse Abdominus; (mainly during the exhale breath cycle of the swing)

The upper body and the arms are mainly a conduit for the transfer of energy from the hips to the bat however almost all of the back muscles fire along with all of the muscles in the arms. The main muscles to be concerned with are as follows

Trapezius; (both lower and middle) elevate and depress the shoulder girdle for swing
    Rhomboids; aid in bat holding in stance phase
    Posterior Deltoids; both of these are used during the stance and swing
    Infraspinatus; (part of rotator cuff and SITS muscle group)
    Teres Minor; (also part of rotator cuff and SITS muscle group)
    Triceps Brachii; extension of the arm during the swing
    Aconeus; extension and stabilization of the arm
    Biceps Brachii; stabilizer only
    Pronator; Teres mainly used on trail hand to snap the bat at max power
    Pronator; Quadratus same as the pronator teres
    Brachialis; flexion of the arm stabilization only
    Supinator; lead hand supinates to help trail hand pronate and deliver max force to ball
    Brachioradialius; aids supinator and pronator muscle groups

Now there are several different phases of the the batting swing the first is the Stance phase, the only muscles firing would be those of the shoulders and the arms because they are holding the bat.
    The Rotation phase is the phase when the shoulders and arms are still holding the bat, but the muscles of the hip and upper legs have begun firing, thus creating the force of the swing.
    The Transfer phase is when all the muscles are firing at the same time, the bat has begun to move toward the and the pulling arm or lead arm is begining to act on the bat to put rotation on the bat that will transfer to the ball when it is hit.
    The Max Power phase the hips have fired and are in a recovery state to gain control of the power generated, the upper body muscles are still being used to stabilize the bat, the power has been generated and transfered through the body to the bat, all force generated is at the end of the bat, from this point the bat will lose power.
    The Recovery Phase, The main muscles that deccelerate the bat are the Bicep Brachii and the Tricep Brachii. During this phase the two muscle groups synergistically to slow down the bat and ultimately it is their lack of range of motion that slows down and stops the bat. In this phase the body is in a recoil state awaiting to be reset for another swing.
    Didn't read.

Full body power man, but I'd say mostly legs and core.

khristian37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Most definitely your core, thats where you get the swing and all the momentum going and also your whole arms shoulders, biceps, triceps to get a good control of the bat and to get the follow through
    -And So the Wise Men Said,

"The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory."

-Cicero

Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100) Dopedcamel is not very well liked. (-100)
    guys this thread is 5 years old..stop psoting