Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Getting into pull-ups

Alright when I do most kinds of pull-ups I can barely squeeze out 5 and that is just bodyweight. What is the best way to improve these to start blasting my back with good improvement? I was thinking about working on them a couple times a week but I figured that would lead to over training.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    DJ
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained..."

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nah, playa, you can do them more than once a week. Three times a week is fine. Pull-ups are a great exercise, good luck with them!

-Shruggin

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dirty-jersey
    Alright when I do most kinds of pull-ups I can barely squeeze out 5 and that is just bodyweight. What is the best way to improve these to start blasting my back with good improvement? I was thinking about working on them a couple times a week but I figured that would lead to over training.

Thanks in advance
    DJ
    The best way to improve pullups it by doing them. A couple of times a week is alright for pullups. Some T-bar rows will help build your back along with pullups.
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ExtremistPullup
    The best way to improve pullups it by doing them. A couple of times a week is alright for pullups. Some T-bar rows will help building your back along with pullups.
    ^^^
    Listen to this pimp, the guy does pull-ups with a damn Tractor Trailer attached to his belt!

-Shruggin

built like a small girl.. lordmatt's Avatar
    lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordmatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    On back day, do as many as you can. If you can only do one at a time, do one at a time. Aim to do... 20 for your first day, then up it next week to 25, etc.
    Height: 5'7"
    Body type: Not even small framed. :(

I have the same genetics as a 14 year old girl.

dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dirty-jersey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

thanks

Damn guys thats for the speedy replies. You are all awesome, and so helpful. Thank you very much. I will rep you guys.

thanks again
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained..."

Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloandy73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Constantly Improve

Thanks in advance
    DJ

Try to do a little more each time you do pull-ups. Slow and steady wins the race. If you aim to do a little more each day eventually you will reach your goals.

usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One thing that helped me was adding weight. Start off small, like 5 pounds and see how many you can do. Then gradually add more weight as you can do more reps with the weight you've been at. Just keep going up in weight, eventually your bodyweight will feel like a feather. And like the other guys said, more than once a week is fine for pullups.

varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Form

how do you do pull ups? I think i do them right: http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Pullups just like that...but lots of people at the gym lower their bodies till their elbow-shoulder part of their arms is parallel to the ground...actually lower than parallel but most of them never stretch their arms all the way like in the "starting position picture"...!
    Your gonna eat lightning and your gonna crap thunder Mickey
    Nothing is real if you don't believe in who you are!-
    Rocky

Upon completion of each workout, you can and should feel proud, for you have just moved one step closer towards reaching your full potential and the ultimate goal of and being the best you can be.—Mike Berry

maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do them every day, 3 to 4 sets.
    $AJ on bf%: pattern memorization...proprioception...+food

DieselWeasel: Get a clue and lift some weights.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

Originally Posted by maxiw
    Overtraining?

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    how do u improve on them when u cant even do one like me?
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    assisted pullups or if you have too pulldowns along with rows
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Overtraining?
    I doubt it. Lots of people do them everyday. I have a pull up bar in my bedroom, so i usually bang out a set just going from room to room.

-Shruggin

If your lats and or Biceps are sore I don't recommend doing pullups.
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usmc29 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Overtraining?
    We did them a bigillion times a day in boot camp and I added a few pullups, I guess the body can adapt to that kind of frequency? *shrugs*

Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    1. You can try negative-only pull-ups.
    2. Keep doing pulldowns until you can do about 10% more than your bodyweight. Then you should be ready.

Originally Posted by usmc29
    We did them a bigillion times a day in boot camp and I added a few pullups, I guess the body can adapt to that kind of frequency? *shrugs*

ya I went to Parris Island doing 14 pullups 3 months later I was doing 20 we didn't have a fancy gym to use
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vision1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by varteju
    how do you do pull ups? I think i do them right: http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Pullups just like that...but lots of people at the gym lower their bodies till their elbow-shoulder part of their arms is parallel to the ground...actually lower than parallel but most of them never stretch their arms all the way like in the "starting position picture"...!
    Go all the way down like in the picture. I think the girl in the link is using too wide of a grip though. I never go much further than shoulder width.

ya I went to Parris Island doing 14 pullups 3 months later I was doing 20 we didn't have a fancy gym to use
    It's weird how that works. We should petition and get 'em to start using Max-OT with new recruits

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Still_Shruggin
    I doubt it. Lots of people do them everyday. I have a pull up bar in my bedroom, so i usually bang out a set just going from room to room.

-Shruggin
    DD was kiddin' dude... he doesn't believe in the word overtraining... hence the at the beginning of his post.

maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Overtraining?
    I leave that to the pornstars.

POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thanks in advance
    DJ
    I just added them to my back routine yesterday. I am in the same boat. I only did 3 sets of 6 with body weight ( actually more than I thought I would get). I am feeling it today.

I don't know if this helps or if it was a waste but each set on my last one rep I held it on the way down as long as I could i guess it would be considered a negative, any feed back guys on if that is a good idea? When I was done I was gassed!
    https://www.********.com/ChrisHessMensPhysique
    http://www.rxmuscle.com/blogs/the-life-inspiration-and-dedication/8571-when-are-you-ready-for-the-stage.html
    www.twitter.com/portergolf
    www.instagram.com/portergolf

If your lats and or Biceps are sore I don't recommend doing pullups.
    They don't actually... I'd call those "chinups" though and I do that variation in addition to regular pullups.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks in advance
    DJ
    I've posted it before, but I like typing so here goes When I started training I could not even do one pullup. The way I improved was like Extremist said... I did pullups. I set a target of 50 for every back workout, and then did as many sets as it took to get there. Until I could do a couple on my own, I used a chair as a cheat, and pushed off a little with my toes. Soon, I was doing a couple, then 4, then 8, and finally I was knocking out sets of 12 unassisted. Then I started adding weight, and the rest is history. Now I can knock out sets of 20 with bodyweight, but I always use weight and stay in a 6-10 rep range. I also mainly prefer behind the neck versions or hammer grip style pullups these days.

James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) James505 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks in advance
    DJ

You can do 4 more then i can do! Lol what i do is just do one then wait a couple seconds and do another one i finished at 10 not sure if this is an O.K Method but i have been trying it
    J@ME$

They don't actually... I'd call those "chinups" though and I do that variation in addition to regular pullups.
    ??

when I do my weighted pullups and bodyweight pullups for reps I feel it in my biceps sure there not being targeted but they do get burned out if I do to meny pullups
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

??

when I do my weighted pullups and bodyweight pullups for reps I feel it in my biceps sure there not being targeted but they do get burned out if I do to meny pullups
    I feel them in my biceps when doing chinups (underhanded) but they don't get sore -- I don't go to failure. The first few times when I learnt to do them they got sore.

As for weighted pulls and chins, I just do fewer reps per set.
    Last edited by maxiw; 10-05-2005 at 08:09 PM.

G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've found my lats have gained so much by doing pullups 2-3 times per week. I have to try and stop myself from doing them everytime I walk past a horizontal bar of any description

Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    DD was kiddin' dude... he doesn't believe in the word overtraining... hence the at the beginning of his post.
    I c.....I feel so....deceived

-Shruggin