animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000)

strip sets, drop sets, pyramids, 21s...

are they a waste of time? I have a friend who constantly does strip sets every week for all exercises. I know from time to time its okay to do something like this to "shock" the muscle, but aint every week a tad over board? I mean the goal is to build muscle - not endurance. You build endurance from strip sets and pyramids, right?

glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100) glock2705 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by animal2b
    are they a waste of time? I have a friend who constantly does strip sets every week for all exercises. I know from time to time its okay to do something like this to "shock" the muscle, but aint every week a tad over board? I mean the goal is to build muscle - not endurance. You build endurance from strip sets and pyramids, right?
    I love 21's ! there the best and really kill that muscle ... although sometimes i switch it up and do it the week after, therefore never two weeks in a row
    Please help me get in the green

rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by glock2705
    I love 21's ! there the best and really kill that muscle ... although sometimes i switch it up and do it the week after, therefore never two weeks in a row
    21's its a love/hate relationship, mostly love, burn baby burn

Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100)
    they are all wonderful... apparently some people disagree tho...
    pyramids are a good strength builder

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    They all have their place as techniques but are often abused.

I think pyramiding can be effective but once again, it shouldn't be overused. The best tip I can give you on those is to:

* limit the "spread" to around 10%, which usually works out to be around 4-5 reps between the range of 4-12, and
    * don't take too long to progress to the heaviest set (no more than 2-3 sets)

So you might pyramid up over 3 sets like this: x10, x8, x6. Avoid the pointless big jumps in pyramid sets some people do like starting at 15 reps and working up to 3. All it does is induce premature fatigue.

Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100) Ron Schwarz is not very well liked. (-100)
    are they a waste of time?I have a friend who constantly does strip sets every week for all exercises. I know from time to time its okay to do something like this to "shock" the muscle, but aint every week a tad over board?
    Yes. It's too much for most people.

BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrendanK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I usually choose one exercise per workout to do a drop set on...But I always change it up so I never do the same drop set/exercise combo two weeks in row..
    "It is said that talent creates its own opportunities. But sometimes it seems that intense desire creates not only its own opportunities, but its own talents as well."

-Bruce Lee

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    shocking = typical weider BS which in real life means your diet and or routine ****ign blow donkey ass

they're valid techniques, but not really necessary in a good program.
    <->

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by glock2705

21s blow, esp. since some of the mvoement is a near-total waste of time. much better stuff u can be doing

Originally Posted by StWolf
    21's its a love/hate relationship, mostly love, burn baby burn
    burn means nothing
    <->

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    they're valid techniques, but not really necessary in a good program.
    Agreed, not necessary, but I find at the start of a heavy workout, pyramid sets can help to avoid injuries. I'm not saying everyone should do it but it's an old habit of mine so I like to stick with it since I've never hurt myself training this way.

People will say warmups are enough but jumping from <50% to >85% is not something I feel comfortable with, and at the same time I'm not a fan of doing a lot of warmup sets. I'll use the 10% guideline on pyramid sets at the start of a workout to reach the desired intensity level and then try to maintain it from there.

rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    burn means nothing
    I like large amounts of lactic acid and feeling like my muscle is about to explode, just gets me pumped up

Originally Posted by StWolf
    I like large amounts of lactic acid and feeling like my muscle is about to explode, just gets me pumped up
    but it doesn't mean anything in terms of a good workout if you want to feel like your muscles are going to explode, go stab them with a knife repeatedly
    <->