Deviousfred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell Lunges vs. Dumbbell Lunges

What do you all think is better and why?

rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Neither, if you do squats all the way to the floor, you work your hammies enough.

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Barbell Lunges are better because if you use dumbells, theres a great chance that you'll swing them at your sides, which creates momentum for the movement. Plus, grip tends to be a factor when you use high weights.

-Shruggin

another question about lunges.

is it better to go across the room doing them or stay in one spot?

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i prefer walking lunges but i dont have enough space to do them

If you're gonna do walking lunges, use dumbells so you can drop them if you fail/stumble.

-Shruggin

geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rbtrout
    Neither, if you do squats all the way to the floor, you work your hammies enough.
    Could be one of the most uninformed posts in this section. The primary target of the lunge is not the hamstrings. And the lunge is an overlooked exercise for leg development.

The only differences between the two are:
    (a) Center of gravity
    (b) Personal preference

Besides that, ust see which one feels most comfortable.

Originally Posted by geoffsherman
    Could be one of the most uninformed posts in this section. The primary target of the lunge is not the hamstrings. And the lunge is an overlooked exercise for leg development.

(a) Center of gravity
    (b) Personal preference

I didn't even catch that. Lunges are for quads not hams.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    barbell is probably better because I tend to lean forward too far when using dbs.

with a bar, its easier to stay upright because you have a big heavy reminder on your traps.

image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) image101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use DBs myself, but I just started doing lunges...i'll move on to BB soon.

I love lunges! For people with lower back injuries who have a problem doing rear squats (I do), then lunges + front squats are a GREAT substitute. Front squats, for some reason, do not aggrevate my lower back injury (whereas rear squats do).

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Originally Posted by Deviousfred

Barbell lunges are better. End of discussion.

Here-(copy and paste from my previous post in sticky)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS HOW I RECOMMEND DOING LUNGES (Always with a barbell, never dumbells because you can swing them to create momentum and you can also move them forward or backwards to place lesser stress on the quad and more on the lower back).

----------

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...BRearLunge.html

I have found these far superior to front stepping, and these feel much more natural. I recommend doing these alternating instead of one leg at a time.

For added hardcoreness and Quad isolation-these can be done with the barbell in front squat position (arms crossed)
    Last edited by RU4A69; 10-06-2005 at 12:48 PM.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by image101
    I use DBs myself, but I just started doing lunges...i'll move on to BB soon.

I love lunges! For people with lower back injuries who have a problem doing rear squats (I do), then lunges + front squats are a GREAT substitute. Front squats, for some reason, do not aggrevate my lower back injury (whereas rear squats do).
    I agree with this somewhat. But people with previous back injuries shouldn't use that as an excuse. Depending on the severity of the injury of course. The proper thing to do in most cases would be to give it rest time, then slowly work back into back squat using proper form and light weight. Rebuilding the supporting muscles and stretching are very important.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would have to say Barbell lunges by a mile.

BestThingSinceWrestling MusclesMalone's Avatar
    MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my favourite lunges are; dare i say it, barbell on the smith. i love smith lunges... *waits for hateful comments on smith machine*
    clean and jerk

New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I didn't even catch that. Lunges are for quads not hams.
    They hit my hams and glutes as well.

geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Reverse barbell lunges off of a 6" platform are money....

murphyma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you! I had shoulder replacement surgery this year and I am still unable position my hands on the barbell do to range of motion. Therefore I can only use dumbbells at this time. I was also curious if it made a difference in which I used. That being said...the fact that I am using anything at all is still better than doing nothing at all! Just nice to know it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by geoffsherman View Post

(a) Center of gravity
    (b) Personal preference