I Try Hard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long to get into Ketosis

Couldn't find a similar thread, so here goes.

How long does it take you folks to get into Ketosis? I did my carb up last weekend, finished midnight saturday as per the plan. Bought some Ketostix and tested myself nightly.
    Sunday - no Ketosis. Played indoor soccer, should have burnt a ton of carbs
    Monday - no Ketosis. Back/bi day in gym
    Tuesday - no Ketosis. Rest day
    Wednesday - no Ketosis. Gym in morning, chest/tri's. Indoor soccer in afternoon.
    Thursday morning - Finally strip shows I'm in Ketosis, though only minor traces of ketones

Now friday afternoon is meant to be carb up time again :S
    I've lost 3kg's in the first 2 weeks, but in the 3rd week its just been the same. My only carbs come from 1 cup of steamed mixed veggies I eat each day, +/-30g carbs.

Are the ketostix inaccurate? Is my body starting to fight back against the no-carb diet? WTF is going on here!
    Is sexy time

Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ketostix suck! There's so many ways it can test wrong. For one, if you are doing everything perfectly, then you won't register b/c your urine would be too dilute and all the ketones will have been burnt up.

If you are in ketosis and eat excessive amounts of fat that don't get burned up, and you drink too little water, then you register heavily.

I usually just go by results and by how I feel. If it means the world to you to see the stupid strips change color, then eat an assload of fat and quit drinking water. Wait 4 hours, then piss on the damn stick.
    You cannot make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position you can make a crowd of men.
    -Max Beerbohm

Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by I Try Hard View Post
    Couldn't find a similar thread, so here goes.

How long does it take you folks to get into Ketosis? I did my carb up last weekend, finished midnight saturday as per the plan. Bought some Ketostix and tested myself nightly.
    Sunday - no Ketosis. Played indoor soccer, should have burnt a ton of carbs
    Monday - no Ketosis. Back/bi day in gym
    Tuesday - no Ketosis. Rest day
    Wednesday - no Ketosis. Gym in morning, chest/tri's. Indoor soccer in afternoon.
    Thursday morning - Finally strip shows I'm in Ketosis, though only minor traces of ketones

Now friday afternoon is meant to be carb up time again :S
    I've lost 3kg's in the first 2 weeks, but in the 3rd week its just been the same. My only carbs come from 1 cup of steamed mixed veggies I eat each day, +/-30g carbs.

Are the ketostix inaccurate? Is my body starting to fight back against the no-carb diet? WTF is going on here!
    You dont have to carb-up weekly, 10-14 days can work good if cutting as well.
    risk nothing, gain nothing

I Try Hard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Doobie2270 View Post
    Ketostix suck! There's so many ways it can test wrong. For one, if you are doing everything perfectly, then you won't register b/c your urine would be too dilute and all the ketones will have been burnt up.

If you are in ketosis and eat excessive amounts of fat that don't get burned up, and you drink too little water, then you register heavily.

I usually just go by results and by how I feel. If it means the world to you to see the stupid strips change color, then eat an assload of fat and quit drinking water. Wait 4 hours, then piss on the damn stick.
    Haha, ok, that's a relief in a way (and in a way I want my $12 refund on the ketostix).

MT, I think I'll follow your advice and carb up every 2nd week. My goal is weightloss now, so if gym suffers so be it.
    Is sexy time

Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by I Try Hard View Post
    Haha, ok, that's a relief in a way (and in a way I want my $12 refund on the ketostix).

MT, I think I'll follow your advice and carb up every 2nd week. My goal is weightloss now, so if gym suffers so be it.
    Well, you could still use them...it just doesn't do your $$$ justice.

There are things you can do to minimize the decrease in gym performance. Ask around the forums; we've all racked up experience doing keto diet and heavy exercise. My own experience: I can't workout first thing in the morning. I'm weak and light headed. I do great when I eat a big, fatty breakfast and wait for it to be digested. This means that I usually workout later in the PM. Fat is the source of energy on keto, so make sure you get lots of it.
    You cannot make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position you can make a crowd of men.
    -Max Beerbohm

drivium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    On the carb up, am I supposed to exceed my daily caloric goal? Or just swap my fat cals for carb cals?
    "Immoveable stone in your world of weak!" --Pantera

lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I get back into ketosis 12-18 hours after carb up.

By this time I have metallic mouth (actually thought I had blood in mouth it was so pronounced at first) as well as pee smell...

So secret? No... but here is what I do:

Carb up day:
    Eat carbs... stop and then drink only water and no more food. Seriously.

Get a good nights rest

Day after carb up:
    Fast from the previous night. Do not eat anything whether or not its carbs or pure fat. Do a workout this way. I also take my ec stack on an empty stomach...
    Back in the gym. Give yourself the best workout you've ever had with heavy weights and minimal rest between.

Ideally the mini fast is around 15 hours or so.

Then if you want to force things, 30 minutes of jogging/biking etc.

That'll do it...

And throw out the keto sticks.
    Those things are ocd magnets.

"Omg they aren't changing color! Im not doing it right!!!"

Bull****.
    Eat less than 30g carbs a day and its gonna happen.

Its not bioscience, its 50 years of hard research.
    The Ultimate Resource on Dieting and Intermittent Fasting
    http://www.blastthebelly.com

zaddaba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zaddaba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zaddaba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zaddaba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zaddaba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zaddaba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zaddaba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zaddaba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    its so difficult

lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by zaddaba View Post
    its so difficult
    no. it isnt. not at all and people shouldnt listen to you.

Kdiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lvsteven View Post
    no. it isnt. not at all and people shouldnt listen to you.
    Listen to lvsteven the man knows his stuff!!!

Originally Posted by Kdiz View Post
    Listen to lvsteven the man knows his stuff!!!
    just read. i read a lot of stuff.
    im still not as smart as many here. but thanks for the compliment.

GregLesnar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this thread is over 3 years old.....

Originally Posted by GregLesnar View Post
    this thread is over 3 years old.....
    so what. thanks for pointing that out though

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24