TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rehab program for rolled forward shoulders

I have been lifting for five years, powerlifting for the last two, and have shoulders that are rolled forward. The reason for this, as many of you must have experienced, is that the powerlifting moves cause severe internal rotation and almost no external rotation of the shoulders. Due to this imbalance, I developed tendonitis in my right shoulder and had to stop lifting for two months. After an MRI cleared up the confusion and fear that the pain was due to a tendon tear, or anything else, I received a cortisone shot and began my rehab.

I wanted to list my rehab exercises below and get your opinion:

1) Push-ups, to strengthen my serratus anterior and overall shoulder stability
    2) Face-Pulls, to strengthen external rotation of the shoulder and help resolve my muscular imbalance.
    3) Prone Trap Raises, to help scapular depression and retraction (not really sure about this one, I know with alot of powerlifters are scapula is pullowed down, so not sure if I want to aid in this imbalance).
    4) External Rotations with pulley, arm bent at 90 degree angle from body. For the rotator cuff.
    5) Closed Grip Seated Cable Rows, help strengthen rhomboids and overall shoulder strength.

What do you guys think, what did you do for scapula depression and rolled forward shoulders?

Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My DR finally figured out what wrong with my shoulder (my clavicle, near the collarbone)

There is 3 things that lead to a bad shoulder, usually to a clavicle inflammation and or demage.

Tight or inflexible muscles in the:
    * Lats
    * Pec Major
    * Pec Minor
    * Subscapularis
    * Coracobrachialis

Weakens in:
    * Teres Minor
    * Infraspinatus
    * Posterior Deltoid
    * Rhomboids
    * Mid Traps

Weakness in certain muscle groups and poor poor posture.
    I am currently in rehabilitation and streching helps allot and so does the cuban press. I am trying to find a very helpful article i stumbled upon recently.

Found Edit: http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindand...w.php?artID=41

Great article helped me allot
    Last edited by Tyro; 12-06-2007 at 11:58 AM.
    ill rep you if you're using common sense

www.squatsandmilk.com

TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    My DR finally figured out what wrong with my shoulder (my clavicle, near the collarbone)

There is 3 things that lead to a bad shoulder, usually to a clavicle inflammation and or demage.

Tight or inflexible muscles in the:
    * Lats
    * Pec Major
    * Pec Minor
    * Subscapularis
    * Coracobrachialis

Weakens in:
    * Teres Minor
    * Infraspinatus
    * Posterior Deltoid
    * Rhomboids
    * Mid Traps

Weakness in certain muscle groups and poor poor posture.
    I am currently in rehabilitation and streching helps allot and so does the cuban press. I am trying to find a very helpful article i stumbled upon recently.

Found Edit: http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindand...w.php?artID=41

Great article helped me allot

That was a great article, thank you. I def. have a inward rotated humerous, I did the test with pencils instead of flashlights due to convenience. However, I do have one question: They mention doing bent over rows, I have read that bent over rows are strong internal rotators and can lead to greater shoulder imbalance, i.e. more rolled forward shoulders.

Maybe my shoulder injury, like many others, isn't that cut and dry. It could be a result of inward rotated humerous and poor scapula mobility, which both lead to a weak shoulder girdle. This stuff is really tricky, on one hand I'm told to do more pushups to strengthen my serratus anterior, and the other says no more pushing movements. And they are both supposed to be experts.
    Last edited by TallKid; 12-06-2007 at 01:27 PM.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you haven't already, I recommend reading this series...

Shoulder Savers; Part I
    Shoulder Savers; Part II
    Shoulder Savers; Part III
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was going to suggest the bent over rows too but you have already gotten that far...
    To balance your shoulders you should do balanced training. I know your already way out of balance so you may need to work harder on the opposing muscles to the bench press for now.
    Just remember shoulder health is all about balance. I used to get a sharp pain in the back of my right shoulder right at the meeting point of the lats, rear delts, teres major, etc. all the time until I started to really hit the rear delts with rear laterall raises. Now my shoulders feel great.
    "If you want to be world class you must first act world class"

bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigred90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by RipStone View Post

Shoulder Savers; Part I
    Shoulder Savers; Part II

im read all those articles, and a lot of the savers favor westside training. The idea of using smaller rom(floor/board presses), using the safety squat bar/box squats, and some other stuff. In the Loue Simmons seminar posted the other day, he talks about how they switch there ME days with regular squat postition, the safety squat bar, and front squats. Im not sure what point im tryn to make other than westside training seems to save your shoulders lol...

sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP -- Why pushups? That seems counter-inutitive to me. And, if you do BO Rows with a wide grip they should not involve any internal rotation. I usually do them with a bench-width or wider grip.
    I'm not paying less attention. You've just gotten less interesting.

Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TallKid View Post
    That was a great article, thank you. I def. have a inward rotated humerous, I did the test with pencils instead of flashlights due to convenience. However, I do have one question: They mention doing bent over rows, I have read that bent over rows are strong internal rotators and can lead to greater shoulder imbalance, i.e. more rolled forward shoulders.

Maybe my shoulder injury, like many others, isn't that cut and dry. It could be a result of inward rotated humerous and poor scapula mobility, which both lead to a weak shoulder girdle. This stuff is really tricky, on one hand I'm told to do more pushups to strengthen my serratus anterior, and the other says no more pushing movements. And they are both supposed to be experts.
    Yup i know how you feel especially if your phisio is not to bright (in my case). I donnot do bent over rows, i stick to wide grip rows and DB rows as i don't think my shoulder is as bad as yours.

www.squatsandmilk.com

4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Typically with forward shoulder rotation your pecs are too tight and upper back is too 'lose'. Strengthening the pecs will only make this worse. And so to fix this imbalance you need to do stretches several times a day that involve pulling the scapulas together (tightening the upper back and stretching the pecs. In your other lifts, work on form and technique, especially with pulling the scapulas together. Try some plate swings and fireman's carries as well, using perfect form. Pull downs and pullups to the front, really focusing on the scapulas will work as well. Really work the upper back. Also, when walking work on your posture. And if you sit at a desk or in front of a computer, work on your posture and get out of the chair often.
    The internet is equalled only by public education and network news in its ability to spread disinformation at an alarming rate...

Originally Posted by sborg View Post
    OP -- Why pushups? That seems counter-inutitive to me. And, if you do BO Rows with a wide grip they should not involve any internal rotation. I usually do them with a bench-width or wider grip.
    Pushups have been suggested in other articles I read on fixing common shoulder problems (see this article http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1426252&cr) I think the problem is a combination of several factors. As of right now I shall focus on my inwardly rotated humerous (i.e. don't do any chest work or close grip back work, anything that would add to my already overbearing internal rotation) and once my humerous has rotated a bit back to normal, start on pushups and other exercises to strengthen my serratus anterior and all over shoulder girdle.

[QUOTE=4amWorkouts;103979321]Typically with forward shoulder rotation your pecs are too tight and upper back is too 'lose'. Strengthening the pecs will only make this worse. And so to fix this imbalance you need to do stretches several times a day that involve pulling the scapulas together (tightening the upper back and stretching the pecs.QUOTE]

I've actually started doing this as of yesterday by doing:
    1) Pec Minor and Major Stretch (hold each for 30 sec)
    2) Lat Stretch (hold for 30 sec)
    3) Subscapularis Stretch (hold for 30 sec)

If you have any other beneficial stretches for the scapula I would love to hear them. Thanks for your help.

Also, how about the Prone Trap Raises, good or bad in my case?
    Last edited by TallKid; 12-07-2007 at 01:57 PM.

Thought i but in again, as i am currently trying to fix my shoulder too i though i could help again. I had a pretty productive shoulder session yesterday to fix the imbalances and one of the pest peck stretches i use is: Lay down on a bench, take your arms out to the side so that your elbow would be bent at 90 degrees. Take a light dumbell and hold it, you will feel a great stretch right in the pec with out overstretching your bicep. Go lite as it will burn. Hope it helps and all the best

www.squatsandmilk.com

Pedicabo ego vos et irrum A-GAME's Avatar
    A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) A-GAME has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RipStone View Post

Shoulder Savers; Part I
    Shoulder Savers; Part II
    Sorry for the old bump but someone needs to rep this man. I'm on spread.
    Still Cuckin On Four Fours, Wrapped In Four Voes