gotju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The New Guy (Gotjus') Workout Plan

Hey all,
    Allow me to formally introduce myself if I haven't before (I don't think I did). I have been a frequent reader of the forums though I was always a bit nervous to post anything. It was because of this site that got me to divulge into more of the science behind weightlifting exercising as a whole (Thanks BB!)

Allow me to give a brief history..about 4 years ago I was 200 pounds and though was medically "healthy" I was always the chunky kid. I probably was not too overweight but I always (had the lil tummy) and did want to shed some pounds. I finally got a chance to do so thanks to my universities residential football trainer who got me into the gym atleast three times a week to train me. The pounds melted off like butter. Until recently, (though I never did aquire those six pack abs that I still longed for) I still was in very good shape and musclar built. I just recently got a job out of state and had to move but during the process I have not worked out in almost two and half months and prior to that had stopped doing much cardio for around 3-4 months. I found myself reverting back into the old bad eating habits that I had years ago and found myself starting to shed back pounds so now settling down again I have dedicated myself back into the gym.

About three weeks ago my job has people who run regularly and I started to run with them..mind you these are 50+ year old people that I unfortunately underestimated (being 23) and thinking that a few months not running I could atleast keep up. Well these guys jogged circles around me doing about 7+ miles and I barely was able to do 4 the first time. The first few days I found myself back into the routine unfortunately I must have pushed myself too hard the first time and iritated my peroneal tendon and though it is healing nicely again I am out from running on it for a few weeks. I took the liberty to not just sit on my butt and collect calories again so I am back in the gym and I will be doing light cardio until my ankle heals up and I can jog/run full time again.

SO NOW, here I am and I am starting things off a bit different and need help.
    I am going to start a journal and would love as much feedback, critique, break down in vitamins, etc as I can get. I would really appreciate any and all help I can get. Now on to the meat and potatoes of this program.... (Sorry I did say a brief history didn't I?)

My Stats:

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 187?? (though I think that's a bit skewed cause when the doc weighed me I had my coat and shoes on)

Goal: Muscle tone and weight loss, increase flexibility, athletic physique ready

....Will post pics later when I get home from work....

I decided to do a Food Log as well (something new for me) To keep track (for now) of what i'm eating. I'm really trying to push myself this time more than ever. *Sigh I love to eat too much*

Food Log: Monday 12-3-07

7:30am:
    Boiled Egg (2) one with egg yolk and one egg white, 100% wheat toast x2, sliced apple and cup of OJ with vitamins (Lifepak and One Fish Oil)

10:00am:
    5 wheat crackers w/slice cheese

12:20pm:
    Sushi -Shrimp Tempura and Spicy tuna w/ Avocado and Edamame (soy peas)

3:00pm:
    10 pcs of teddy grahm crackers

4:00pm:
    one reeses peanut butter cup and bite size snickers bar *damn coworkers...couldn't resist*

5:30pm:
    Too many peanuts (unsalted) to count

7:00pm:
    Oven made wings (5 pcs) w/ 4 small hotdogs made in philsbury croissant mix
    (Later my best (female) friend came over and then pursuaded me a mouthful of whipped cream with chocolate chips for desert was a must do experience)

Comments to self:
    Sheesh I feel ashamed for even writing this food on the board...but bare with me guys...i'm trying to be as honest as I can.

At the Gym:

Worked Upper Body (getting back into things)
    Superset x4 (of):
    Chest Fly's 12lbs/15reps
    Bench Press 115lbs/10reps
    Chest Fly's 12/15
    Incline Bench 115/10
    Chest Fly's 12/15
    Decline Bench 12/15
    Push ups (til exhaustion I did about 100)

Abs
    Obliques
    Reaches on Decline bench
    Toes to sky on flat bench
    Sit ups on flat bench
    Three sets of each

Total Time: 45min-1hr

Again I will post the rest of my workouts (and pics) including today's (wednesday) sometime tonight. Again please critique and help out. I understand my eating habits are still somewhat bad so I am trying to eliminate the sweets (for now) as much as I can. I usually believe in eating in moderation so the teddy grahams only having a few pieces for example will not hurt IMO. Again I don't want to already overflood this single post so I would be happy to discuss or even read what everyone has to say.

P.S. by the way with the exception of OJ in the morning I usually drink everything with water or drink nothing but water throughout the day.

Food Log: Tuesday 12-4-07

7:30amish:
    Cup full of apple cinnamon cheerios w/ 2% milk and vitamins (Life Pak and Fish Oil)

10:00am:
    One Gala apple (yum)

12:00pm:
    One Grilled Chicken pizza, One Bite size Pack of M & M's Peanuts

5:30pm:
    Gym

7:30pmish: BBQ chicken w/ white rice w PM vitamins (Life Pak and Fish Oil)

11:30pmish: I was up playing games and got pekish so I snacked on some dry apple cinnamon cheerios

Gym Time:
    Shoulders and Tri's

Shoulder 28's x5sets
    (consist of seated shoulder raises, shoulder raises w/ twist, side shoulder raises, front shoulder raises 7 reps each using 15lbs for the first two and 10lbs for the last two)

Shoulder Shrugs x5sets
    45lbs/10reps

Overhead triceps w/Bench x 5
    30lbs/10reps

Dips on bench (Til exhaustion could only crank out 10 at a time) x3
    No weight

Tri kickback with twist x3
    10lbs/10 reps

Single Tri extension with cable x3
    20lbs/10

Abs:
    Same Routine as Monday BUT one addition
    Ball crunches on Decline bench.

Est Gym Time: 1hr
    Last edited by gotju; 12-05-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo

Wednesday 12-5-07

Food Log:

7:30amish:
    Honey nut oats w/ 2% milk w vitamins (took AM vitamins)

10:45am:
    Red apple

Fresh summer roll w/ brown rice and grilled chicken
    snacked on a bite size m & m (I'm so weak!)

3:30pm:
    Cheese and wheat crackers (5 pcs)

5:45pm:
    handful of almonds

7:30pm:
    Homade Jerk chicken wings w/ Mash potatoes (took PM vitamins)

Comments: I didnt do gym time today. Decided I would rest up.
    I want to start doing cardio but decided to perhaps take the week off from running so my ankle can heal up from the tendon pull.

**Thinking about doing a blog...for more of a breakdown in my thoughts and workout plans..it's ALOT of work to maintain this type of stuff but I do have alot of knowledge that I am willing to share...we'll see.**
    Last edited by gotju; 12-06-2007 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Making an additional note

At the Gym

Targeted Area: Biceps and Quads

Hammer Curls 4/10 w/15lbs

standing Bicep Curls w/ Bar 21's (low, high, full range) 4/21's w/two 5 plates on end

Conc Curls 4/10 w/20lbs

Preacher Curls 4/10 w/ two 5 plates on end

Leg Ext 21's 3/21's (start by doing two single legs and one with both) 45-50 lbs (single) 110lbs (double)

Leg Press 4/15 250-300lbs

*Haven't figured out the weight to these yet*
    Inner Thigh
    Outger Thigh
    Reverse Leg Press

Abs
    Obliques
    Obliques and sit ups on decline bench
    OMG's (Oh My God's..i'll explain later or maybe in a blog)
    Plank (1 minute)

Comment: I will hopefully be getting to the gym tonight (my uncle is suppose to be coming by) I figured I would plan my workout schedule online early to get myself motivated enough to go and not take another day off. Food Log to come either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thursday 12-6-07

Not Much here....

Food Log

9:00am:
    Egg whites w/ wheat toast
    Grilled Chicken Salad with low fat dressing
    3:00pm:
    Quaker oat rice cakes (13pcs-90 cal)
    6:00pm: Handful of almonds
    7:20pm: Chinese food (*sigh*) General Tso's chicken w/ shrimp and white rice (they didnt have brown)

No Gym time (again) I didnt get a chance to go to the gym for the routine that I had previously posted.

Comments:
    I am trying to stay very diligent to writing online in hopes to look at my eating habits and adjust. Putting myself back on track and beyond when it comes to the eating is hard enough. Just as incorporating exercise with real world work life (which I never really experienced before). It can be a draining task on it's own. My Godfather and his friend were in town as I previously stated and thus took us out to dinner. To go to the gym in the evening is hard for me because after work I feel like just coming home and unwinding...I need to push myself harder and know that to regain what I had before and to become better should be one of my highest priorities

Just a quick note..Today is Friday!!! (12-7-07)

I don't know how today will look like for me in terms of the gym. Honestly...I don't see myself going again today. My company is having it's annual christmas party and unless I can get home early (hrmm...good idea) I don't know. I don't want to miss out on a third day of not going to the gym so I may sneak out early to do that. Now being friday today is also pay day and once I see how much collatoral (sping?) damage I take from bills I will go back into investing in more supplements.
    Currently I take a multivitamin my dad (who is a pharmacist) has been raving about called Life Pak. It looks good enough so I am taking those along with Fish Oil. Both twice a day. I plan on also trying out Tonalin agian..I never could get to the 2nd bottle that supposebly is when you start to see results (of course with proper eating and exercise). I wanted to also go back and start taking Glucosamine for my joints and invest in a blender to start making shakes again. A quick powder supplement I was thinking of is Syntha-6 but I wanted to do more research....wish me luck!

bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigash50 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gotju View Post
    Just a quick note..Today is Friday!!! (12-7-07)

I don't know how today will look like for me in terms of the gym. Honestly...I don't see myself going again today. My company is having it's annual christmas party and unless I can get home early (hrmm...good idea) I don't know. I don't want to miss out on a third day of not going to the gym so I may sneak out early to do that. Now being friday today is also pay day and once I see how much collatoral (sping?) damage I take from bills I will go back into investing in more supplements.
    Currently I take a multivitamin my dad (who is a pharmacist) has been raving about called Life Pak. It looks good enough so I am taking those along with Fish Oil. Both twice a day. I plan on also trying out Tonalin agian..I never could get to the 2nd bottle that supposebly is when you start to see results (of course with proper eating and exercise). I wanted to also go back and start taking Glucosamine for my joints and invest in a blender to start making shakes again. A quick powder supplement I was thinking of is Syntha-6 but I wanted to do more research....wish me luck!
    Hey man, sounds like things are going ok, you need to make sure you stick to working out regular and not skip gym sessions.

You need to make sure you getting plenty of protein for breakfast, ideally 1.5/2.0 gramms per pound of bodyweight because your body has been fasting all night.

Syntha 6 is very good but expensive, ON 100% Whey represents best value for money and tates good too.

If you need any other tips let me know
    I DO REP BACK (HONEST.....LoL)

MY CURRENT STACK

Syntha 6
    Xtend

EAT, LIFT & EAT SOME MORE AND THEN SLEEP AND PRAY TO THE LORD THAT YOUR FOLKS GAVE U GOOD GENETICS.

Originally Posted by bigash50 View Post
    Hey man, sounds like things are going ok, you need to make sure you stick to working out regular and not skip gym sessions.

You need to make sure you getting plenty of protein for breakfast, ideally 1.5/2.0 gramms per pound of bodyweight because your body has been fasting all night.

Syntha 6 is very good but expensive, ON 100% Whey represents best value for money and tates good too.

If you need any other tips let me know

Thanks for the suggestion and advice . Lucky enough for me I actually went today and had a good workout...whew...broke the two day "break"

Friday 12-7-07

At the Gym

Targeted Area: Biceps and Quads

Biceps:

Hammer Curls 4/10 w/15lbs
    Standing Bicep Curls w/ Bar 21's (low, high, full range) 4/21's w/two 5 plates on end
    Conc Curls 4/10 w/20lbs
    Preacher Curls 4/10 w/ two 5 plates on end

Legs(Quads):

Leg Ext 21's 3/21's (start by doing two single legs and one with both) 45-50 lbs (single) 110lbs (double)
    Seated Leg Curl: 80lbs 3/10

**I only did a little bit of legs as you obviously see...i'll be focusing on a whole leg routine this weekend**

Abs
    Obliques
    Obliques and sit ups on decline bench
    OMG's (Oh My God's..i'll explain later or maybe in a blog)
    Plank (1 minute)

Comments:
    Thanks to bigash for your kind words and advice. I finally broke the two day "hiatus" and I went back into it. The whole routine I had posted up earlier that I intended for thursday of course is different from what I did today but because of time restraints I am trying to spend no later than an hour or hour and half at the gym (I use to be in there for several but y'know..school days are over for now). I went to the company dinner that night too and here was my dinner which accompanies the earlier day

Dinner: (And yes this is pretty accurate)
    7:00pm:
    Horsd'oeuvers
    1 mini grilled chicken kabob
    1 mini beef kabob
    3 turkey bacon wrapped scallions

8:20pm:
    Appetizer:
    Butter nut squash Ravioli w/ white cream sauce
    Salad:
    Caeser salad w/ vinegret
    Main Course:
    Grilled Salmon w/ veggies (All this food is apparently gourmet so y'know how they do...)
    Desert:
    Nasty dry carrot cake (that I didnt quite finish) w/ Tablespoon serving mousse (that I did finish)

Comment(s): yes the food was good....cept the desert...do I feel guilty?.. slightly...*sigh* the life I live...

12-8-07

Gym Log:

Targeted Areas: Back

Lat Pull Down (Warm-up: 2 sets of 10 with 30 lbs)
    Two sets of 10 with 60lbs
    Increased weight and sets
    four sets of 10 with 70lbs
    Increased weight
    One set of 10 with 80lbs

Seated Row (Warm-up w 2/10 using 30lbs)
    two sets of 10 w/ 80 lbs
    two sets of 10 w / 40 lbs (single)
    one set of 10 w/ 100lbs

Reverse Press (Warm-up w 2 sets of 30lbs)
    two sets of 10 w/ 40 lbs
    upped it to one set w/ 60
    lowered it back to one set w/ 40lbs

Lower Back (Machine)
    six sets of 12 w/ 60lbs

Abs: (all were performed 3 sets of 10)
    Obliques
    Toes to Sky w/ 10 lbBall
    OMG'S
    Twisted Side Crunches on incline bench

Food Log:
    10:30am
    Breakfast - Apple Cinnamon Cheerioes (1 cup) w/ 2 percent Milk w/ 1 cup OJ (AM vitamins)

12:30 GYM

2:00pm:
    Lunch?? - mini franks wrapped w/ Homemade Croissants

3:00pm 5 crackers w/ Cheese

7:45pm (Though I know this is post is made before then this is what i'll be eating...the gf is making)
    Dinner - Grilled Chicken w/ yellow rice

Comments:
    Today was a little better. My gym routine might have seemed like not alot but I did do alot more reps. Trying to atleast get back into shape and tell my muscles individually to wake up before I start the real fun. I would like some feedback as to eating (of course i'll be doing research as to different thing) I think i've been reunited with my love of eating which makes working out extremely important. I think I like to snack too much so I often have to resist urges..or find healthier things to snack on...well I suppose my snacking is too bad...in terms of moderation and portions...I will be posting my sunday routine...ALL LEGS BABY!! Wait...I dont necessarily like legs... The funny part are my legs are the most strongest and musclar part of my body almost no bf...go figure..

Also to note....starting next week I think I will be incorporating cardio again. I just have to take it easy because of my (poerneal tendon on my ankle) Either running (4 miles) or biking on the trail. If I can't do that i'll try to keep waking up early before work to atleast do cardio in the gym. Also I will be back to doing Capoeira and will probably be doing that two-three times a week...hopefully my body will be able to handle all this physical activity..

Tuesday: 12-11-07

Gym Log:

Target Area: Legs (Quads and minor calves)

Leg Ext (21's):
    2 sets (single) of 45. One set of 100, 10 reps

Lying Leg Curls:
    three sets of 15, starting at 40, then 50, then 60 lbs. Single Lying leg curls (21's) of 30 lbs

Seated Leg Curls:
    Two sets of 15 w/ 115lbs (I didnt like the machine they had for this so I stopped)

Squats (on machine):
    4 sets of 10 w/ 135 weight

Leg Press:
    Suicides (Pyramid style)
    Range of 115-220lbs two sets

Inner Thighs:
    Started off with 60lbs and 20 reps. Then did the next 80 using 90 lbs (so 100 reps total)

Outer Thighs:
    (100 reps total w/ 100 lbs)

Abs:
    Obliques
    Ball Crunches
    Toes to Sky
    Planks (1 minute three times, 20 sec rest)

I did all my abs three sets of 20

Comments: Sorry for the long absence! I took a rest sunday and monday to prep for Tuesday's workout. My ankle is healing nicely so I expect to get some light cardio in soon (maybe starting thursday hopefully!). I've still be managing my food log but sheesh...I tell you with the holiday parties that I went to in the last week...this WILL be hard...I love a challenge though. Today's (Wendesday) workout will target the chest and shoulders.

And so the saga continues...sorry for the long delay...must update...

No didnt give up yet..for those who are still viewing...

Monday 12-17-07

I have to remember my food log to write what I ate but I think what I will do is just write what kind of workouts I do and maybe save the food logs for another blog of some sort.

No Gym this day just cardio to test out my perneal tendon (so far so good)

Ran about 2.5-3 miles (just to start breaking it in) Total time 45 min.

Tuesday 12-18-07

Cardio 2.5-3 miles Total time 45min

Target areas (chest and shoulders)

Ball Push-ups three sets of 10 on weighted ball
    Incline DP:
    Decline DP:
    Bench DP:
    Bench Fly:
    *All DP (Dumbel Press) exercises will be 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps with 45-50 lbs

Shoulder 28's: two/three sets of 15/lbs for the first 14 then down to 10 for last 14.
    Shrugs: Two sets of 12 w/ 45 lbs. Two sets of 12 w/50

Abs: Three sets of 20
    Obliques
    OMG's w/ weight ball
    Side Planks (60 sec each)
    Crunches

Side note: My gf wants to try to get in shape so she is going to try the 8minute abs videos..though I think they are a waste of time (apparently the reviews say otherwise) I will do them with her everyday even after my own ab routine (or maybe even substituting them) the reviews claim you feel results after 1-3 weeks and see them after 4-6...sounds normal enough to me so incorporated with my die...errr proper eating lets see how this goes. I started cardio this week to try to break in my hopefully newly healed ankle so cheers to hoping I dont re-injur it again!

Side Side note:
    So I forgot to also mention that with the new week comes a couple new goodies for myself (that I bought over the weekend). I did my restock on vitamins and so basically my vitamin and protein intake includes (my lifepak multivitamin(s), fish oil, tonalin, glucosamine, and I decided to go to syntha-6 for my protein powder (thanks to bigash I will be buying On whey soon). I wanted to try syntha 6 first and then move to On whey to see if I really feel a difference. I tend to add some fiber to my protein shakes in the past and probably will do the same again in addition to making homemade fruit shakes (yum)
    Last edited by gotju; 12-18-2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: changes

Part 2 in this 2 part err saga...so I forgot to mention a few things and well I suppose noone minds all the postings..I mean this IS my post... So today at work a health van came around and I decided to get a circulatory test to check my BM and all that lovely stuff..well basically..success!! Here are my stats...with a little commentary...

Body Composition Analyzer

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 183.0
    BMI: 26.3%
    Fat %: 22.8%
    BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): 8140 kj ~ 1946 cal

Impedance: 536 Ohms
    Fat Mass: 41.9
    FFM (Fat Free Mass): 141.21
    TBW (Total Body Water): 103.4
    Desireable Range Fat%: 8-20%
    Fat Mass: 12.2-35.2

So supposebly according to this paper a person of my age and and height 8.5-21.2% should be the target Fat % range and i'm 22...just missing it...and when they took a measurement of my extended waistline it was 37!? but c'mon folks i'm not THAT bad...my pants size (regular waistline) is a 32-33.5...Oh well..you have to take these things with a grain of salt...IMO. And all the other nice things...blood pressure...blood flow..and all that stuff I am one healthy man! But still I have ALOT of work to do in order to see my work pay off.