monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000)

Squats: Bar Placement

K, So I do back squats. Basically I used to place the bar like a few inches down from the base of my neck, just below where i could feel it rubbing on my spine, on that really meaty area. It was really comfortable, but when I squatted it cause my torso to lean way forward, like pushin it down and making the ascent harder (made me feel like i goodmorning'ed out of the very end).

So now i place it lower, but the amount of pressure on my wrists is large now. They are bent back and quite sore after every set. Where the hell do I place the bar?

hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When you have it lower like that, try keeping your wrists in a straight line relative to your forearm, that should alleviate some of the pressure you're feeling.
    Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. - Conan

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Everyone is different, but typically a narrow stance, with a more olympic style squat is more conducive to a higher bar placement.

Usually guys that squat wide, in a more hip dominated fashion have a lower bar placement.

Have you tried moving your hand placement around with the lower position?
    "Until later, may the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush." - David Puddy (banned but not forgotten)

monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JBElite View Post
    Everyone is different, but typically a narrow stance, with a more olympic style squat is more conducive to a higher bar placement.

Usually guys that squat wide, in a more hip dominated fashion have a lower bar placement.

Have you tried moving your hand placement around with the lower position?
    oh ok i do a wider stance, helps me get lower (balance wise). Nah i havent played around with hand placement, ill give it a shot on friday when I squat next and play around with a low bar placement and hand positioning. I usually keep my hands like 4-6 inches out from my shoulders.

Smashproof has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the exact same problem today, but before I even started my firt rep it felt wrong.
    The advise mentioned above about hand placement is also how I remedied the problem, and I had the bar up a touch higher, not enough to notice that feeling thats like its on your neck, but higher than when you feel that you feel like the bar could roll down your back any second.

Originally Posted by Smashproof View Post
    The advise mentioned above about hand placement is also how I remedied the problem, and I had the bar up a touch higher, not enough to notice that feeling thats like its on your neck, but higher than when you feel that you feel like the bar could roll down your back any second.
    yeh thats where I had it initially but it was pushing my uppder body down to the ground and making me sort of good morning out of every rep.

anyway thanks guys, ill giv hand placement a shot next time i squat

reps all round when i can

KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by monatu View Post
    K, So I do back squats. Basically I used to place the bar like a few inches down from the base of my neck, just below where i could feel it rubbing on my spine, on that really meaty area. It was really comfortable, but when I squatted it cause my torso to lean way forward, like pushin it down and making the ascent harder (made me feel like i goodmorning'ed out of the very end).

So now i place it lower, but the amount of pressure on my wrists is large now. They are bent back and quite sore after every set. Where the hell do I place the bar?
    I have the same problem. I've never been able to use low bar placement either because it cranks the hell out of one shoulder or one wrist or both. Thumbless grip helps straighten or correct the bent-back wrist issue but it won't matter unless your upper back is very tight by retracting the shoulder blades hard, together.

I've tried to increase shoulder flexibility through stretches and broomstick dislocates but to no avail. So you should at least try that if you're going to persevere.

But I've learnt to settle on high bar placement, suck it up and good morning it out when the load is heavy. Otherwise I compromise by settling for less weight with the wide stance and training legs by other means (and there LOTS of leg exercises) in conjunction.
    Geese_Howard: Just walk into any mental institution and tell the docs in there everything about your religion but substitute the name muhammed for 'Punjab' and see if they let you walk out...