Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000)

why do PTs do this??

I noticed this happening a lot more at the Gold's I go to now. The personal trainers have people doing some pretty ridiculous things. The craziest thing I saw yesterday:

He had this guy do squats (good form actually), but with an empty bar, standing on top of an upside-down half-ball. It was kind of like a balancing act, except he was squatting. How do you even come up with something like that??

There was one lady who was instructed to step up on a bench with one foot, then jump up, then do an overhead db extension with her opposite arm.

I just don't get it. It looks silly. Who comes up with this stuff and more importantly, WHY? I mean, is it to make fun of the people getting "trained"? I seriously feel bad for them. I didn't even have to do embarassing things like that when I was in physical therapy, and we're talking normal exercising here.

Now I have nothing against PTs, I know some good ones and some bad ones, but I'm just saying this is whack.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. Older individuals require greater core and stability work.
    2. Time is not unlimited: many sessions are less than one hour.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10) awbasa is on a distinguished road. (+10)

md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    1. Older individuals require greater core and stability work.
    2. Time is not unlimited: many sessions are less than one hour.
    1. These are people who look to be in their 20s-30s. I wouldn't say that's "older". Core + stability? How bout squats and deads, you can still go light for the novice lifters.

2. What does time have to do with exercise choice?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by md3sign View Post
    2. What does time have to do with exercise choice?
    If they have less than one hour to squeeze in an entire workout, then improvisation is necessary.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

So you'd rather do squats with an empty bar trying not to fall off an upside down half-ball than normal, full range squats with more weight?

So you'd rather do squats with an empty bar trying not to fall off an upside down half-ball than normal, full range squats with more weight?
    No. I do not have a personal trainer. I train myself and take as much time as I need.

Most training nowadays is all about getting the client to feel like they worked something. Combination of movements like that will activate much. They can get ten sets of the improvised movement in as opposed to three sets of normal squats.

I'm not saying these trainers are right, and most aren't. They do what they do because it's their living at stake.

hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugowrx04 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There is this girl who is a PT at my gym, she is hot so alot of guys get her as their PT but all the times I seen her train them she uses the medicine ball for almost all exercises. This guys are young too probably in their late 20's early 30's.

j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50) j0ker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I believe they practice these exercises to strengthen their core, use more muscles, with coordination and balancing. Pretty much get the most out of their session as time is limited to them.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    I noticed this happening a lot more at the Gold's I go to now. The personal trainers have people doing some pretty ridiculous things. The craziest thing I saw yesterday:

He had this guy do squats (good form actually), but with an empty bar, standing on top of an upside-down half-ball. It was kind of like a balancing act, except he was squatting. How do you even come up with something like that??
    Because they believe performing a circus trick with a fraction of what that person would lift in regular exercises will magically unleash incredible growth. Or they just want to rip them off.

Sadly a lot of people fall for it.

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It is quite common, this is some sort of fad created by a book or a magazine article most likely.

This middle aged lady at my gym was doing some curl variant with two 5lb plates while kneeling on a big swiss ball. It is just absurd.

TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lightbulb

If you want to know why someone is doing something you could try this thing called "asking them". I know it sounds crazy and ruins your chances at "thread cred" on bb.com, but it might just work.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    Because they believe performing a circus trick with a fraction of what that person would lift in regular exercises will magically unleash incredible growth. Or they just want to rip them off.

Sounds downright dangerous.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Because you can't certify common sense and experience.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

applesauce the destroyer sanpedro's Avatar
    sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanpedro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just use it as a chance to laugh

the endorphin increase will be worth it
    .(>^_^).> <3

|||----.(^_^).----|||
    cutting
    HIIT sprints
    swimming

cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have this notion that most PTs are just trying to see how far they can push the "do this new ridiculous thing" before someone calls bull****. They all have to have a good laugh.
    Metal in my hands, Metal in my ears

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cmdurham View Post
    I have this notion that most PTs are just trying to see how far they can push the "do this new ridiculous thing" before someone calls bull****. They all have to have a good laugh.
    They must really think it is a good idea. They're risking the client falling off the swiss ball, that's not soemthing you do for ****s and giggles.

TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You're all just making assumptions.

It could very well be that the trainer was doing this training for a specific reason. The number of people that want to run away and join the circus is increasing every year. The trainer likely is forward thinking and doing his best to bring circus training into the gym so that when the opportunity knocks his clients will have the edge they need.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post

I'm a PT and that's EXACTLY why I do it!

Well, actually, some trainers do ask clients to do crazy stuff just to see if they can or will.

Keep in mind the majority of a PT's clients are sedentary, overweight people with little or no active past. These clients rarely want to "bodybuild" or even "strength train." They just want to "tone" and "look better."

Even when you explain the virtues of muscle and efficiency of freeweight compound lifts, it's still a hard sell. So, the trainer has to do something to enduce fitness that is perceived as "FUN!!!" by the client. Many clients prefer to do the whacky moves to straight-up lifting.

For health improvement, just getting them to move their whole body will be sufficient and burn a few calories.

Personally, I use a BOSU and other "circus tricks" mainly to develop balance and confidence. My ulterior motive is always to get clients to deadlift down the road, but since the average out-of-shape American struggles to lift a laundry basket, starting them with DLs is a stretch.

Often personal training becomes about developing habits, confidence, momentum and of course endurance and balance which hopefully yield the ability to do what we all consider "better" exerices.

PS - Just want to thank everyone for taking food off my table. Kidding!
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post

Keep in mind the majority of a PT's clients are sedentary, overweight people with little or no active past. These clients rarely want to "bodybuild" or even "strength train." They just want to "tone" and "look better."

Even when you explain the virtues of muscle and efficiency of freeweight compound lifts, it's still a hard sell.
    Why is it such a hard sell? I dont get it. First, doing bench or deads or squats with just the bar is easier than doing a balancing act on a ball. Second, you're their coach, and you're in control. I wouldnt trust a coach who'd fail to impose his will on me.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Because PT's are one of the few professions where actually doing your job right means you'll be out of a job
    I don't know either lol

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

I'm a PT and that's EXACTLY why I do it!

Even when you explain the virtues of muscle and efficiency of freeweight compound lifts, it's still a hard sell. So, the trainer has to do something to enduce fitness that is perceived as "FUN!!!" by the client. Many clients prefer to do the whacky moves to straight-up lifting.
    If freeweight compounds are such a "hard sell," what's wrong with machine exercises? Hammer Strength, leg press, cables, are all effective tools that make a lot more sense to me than balancing one-legged on a Bosu twirling a little pink dumbbell.

Bottom line is for many people that kind of training is an absolute waste of money. I'm talking about people who want to build muscle and strength, not rehab an injury.

I remember seeing a fat guy trying to bench a preloaded barbell on a swiss ball and it was sad to see his fat ass knock the ball away the first few times before he finally lay back on it and squeezed out a few shaky reps. I know some PT had brainwashed him into believing he needed to wobble and flap around like a dying fish to burn off that flab. Total bull****.

You want to build muscle? Work from a solid platform, whether that's a bench, machine, or feet flat on the floor. You want to work your core? Do specific exercises for that like crunches, side bends, leg raises, hypers, etc. Just about everything else is a gimmick.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    Why is it such a hard sell? I dont get it. First, doing bench or deads or squats with just the bar is easier than doing a balancing act on a ball. Second, you're their coach, and you're in control. I wouldnt trust a coach who'd fail to impose his will on me.
    No ****

"Doing what they want" is what got them fat and lazy in the first place.
    I don't know either lol

FYI rolleyes is considered by some to be a serious form of disrespect, it should never be done to a person such as Dominik.

edit: I hate when people reply while I'm replying.

Originally Posted by TrainSmarter View Post
    FYI rolleyes is considered by some to be a serious form of disrespect, it should never be done to a person such as Dominik.
    I don't know either lol

iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ROFL I see this everyday at the gym I go to.. Im seriously the only person who even DOES barbell squats.. who even DOES deadlift.. And its not just a bunch of old people.. theres plenty of younger people lifting here and they just dont know what the hell theyre doing.. The average day Ill see the same people over and over doing bench press and then maybe theyll do some swiss ball crunches, then some more benchpress.. Hmm Ill go in the next day and oh no its the same people doing bench press and swiss ball crunches..

And then theres the PT's training people.. Theyve got people on all fours lifting one arm up and one leg up.. rolling around on the ground.. Its almost so bad I want to tell these people theyre getting screwed.. The regulars that are always doing these ridiculous exercises have not changed since Ive been there.. Im honestly one of the only people who looks like theyve even gained any weight in the last 6 months.. and alot of people look to be trying..

Theres this one guy who does EVERY single exercise with a ROM thats like 25% of the full ROM.. Its funny as hell to watch him and hes there everyday for hours at a time.. Wow that was long, but its just so ridiculous to see these people doing stuff thats not really going to do anything beneficial for them..

I could really give a **** if someone doesn't squat or deadlift, but at least work hard on the exercise you're doing. I see women training women and they have them doing 12 reps with a 30RM weight, chatting the whole time.
    I don't know either lol

Registered User JohnnyDestroyer's Avatar
    JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

dont knock it unless you tried it...or really know what your talking about.

both of those excersizes you described are for functional strength, both have there uses....

you try squatting on the half-swiss ball......it'll kick your ass.

proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10) proph is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i worked at a gym that only did personal training and was client-based.. all our trainers were college educated with cscs certification.. from speaking to them, they WERE knowledgeable.. but they did the circus-type stuff with the rich clients too

as others have said, it's to get the most bang for their buck.. people with trainers aren't "training" in the sense of reaching strength and/or size goals.. they just want to get in shape, lose weight, etc

Originally Posted by JohnnyDestroyer View Post

dont knock it unless you tried it...or really know what your talking about.

both of those excersizes you described are for functional strength, both have there uses....

you try squatting on the half-swiss ball......it'll kick your ass.
    Try squatting while getting kicked in the nuts, it's hard, but that doesn't mean it does anything.
    I don't know either lol