timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Retaining strength and body comp on a layoff...

I recently went to France for three weeks.
    During that time while I did find access to a 40lb dumbell I really didn't bother. We did walk alot and every morning me and my gf went for an hour to an hour and a half walk around the village we stayed at. During the whole three weeks though I probably didn't get over even 100g of protein if that except maybe once or twice. Definitely lots and lots of carbs and fat though
    (Crepes with fig jam, yum).

A few questions...
    As some know I was experimenting with a loose type of diet.
    Just wondering who would 'deteriorate' worse... someone who was dieting previously and relatively lean (as I was doing) or say someone who was simply maintaining or even building with a higher bodyfat level before taking a layoff? The former was suggested to me by someone, with the analogy of a penduluum.
    And can anyone who knows explain what 'fed state' means?

During the three weeks I did gain abit of weight arms got abit smaller and waist got a bit bigger... meaning I likely lost muscle and gained fat. No big deal. Definitely looked softer though.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by timberwolf
    Just wondering who would 'deteriorate' worse... someone who was dieting previously and relatively lean (as I was doing) or say someone who was simply maintaining or even building with a higher bodyfat level before taking a layoff? The former was suggested to me by someone, with the analogy of a penduluum.
    I think the former, although not because of a pendulum effect. Rather because someone in the second state might already be following a "program" quite similar to what you did (or didn't do) on holiday. So the relative deterioration would be less for that person.

That said, I think in absolute terms the person who's been following a program of planned workouts and nutrition would look better than the person who hasn't been.

In other words, the absolute result is more important than the relative one, imo.

timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dbflgirl
    I think the former, although not because of a pendulum effect. Rather because someone in the second state might already be following a "program" quite similar to what you did (or didn't do) on holiday. So the relative deterioration would be less for that person.

That said, I think in absolute terms the person who's been following a program of planned workouts and nutrition would look better than the person who hasn't been.

In other words, the absolute result is more important than the relative one, imo.
    Found this as well... and probably what I was looking for,,,,

being too lean pre bulking is bad due to hormonal levels being down. i would guess the level of leanness you are at will bring hormonal levels down.. which in turn will make it so when you resume a caloric surplus you will not be at a optimal level to gain mass

vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fed state refers to the period following a meal, like after those crepes. It’s characterized by high levels of simple sugars and fats in the blood. This correlates with higher levels of the hormones insulin, leptin, and cholecystokinin. This stimulates protein synthesis, glycolysis (breakdown of sugars to create energy) and lipogenesis (formation of fat).

As the levels of blood sugar and fats gradually drop, you enter the fasted state. This is characterized by lipolysis (breakdown of fat), gluconeogensis and ketogenesis (production of sugar and ketones) and is dominated by the actions of epinephrine, glucagons and corticosteroids.

Originally Posted by vol
    Fed state refers to the period following a meal, like after those crepes. It’s characterized by high levels of simple sugars and fats in the blood. This correlates with higher levels of the hormones insulin, leptin, and cholecystokinin. This stimulates protein synthesis, glycolysis (breakdown of sugars to create energy) and lipogenesis (formation of fat).

As the levels of blood sugar and fats gradually drop, you enter the fasted state. This is characterized by lipolysis (breakdown of fat), gluconeogensis and ketogenesis (production of sugar and ketones) and is dominated by the actions of epinephrine, glucagons and corticosteroids.
    Thanks.