I'm NOT eating 6 meals King_Alpha's Avatar
    King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can you use Olympic plates on a standard bar?

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a home gym, and would like to know whether Olympic plates fit on standard barbell? I know that Olympic barbells are 30mm in diameter, and standard barbells are 28mm in diameter. But I don't know if this is the grip measurement, or the measure of the ends where you load the plates. I'm buying over the web, and won't be able to see it for myself.

So, I just need simple yes or no answer.

Would I be able to use Olympic plates on standard barbell?

Thanks for all replies

holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) holbee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

no

Short answer: no

longer answer: The oly weights have a 2.5 inch or so opening for the bar ends (to accomodate the rolling ends) while a standard weight has a 1 inch hole. So, they 'will' fit, but I wouldn't advise using it for anything as it would be extremely dangerous.
    There are adaptive sleeves that are made to slide over standard bars to make them accomodate olympic plates.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124348591

Musclespeed rocks!

King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) King_Alpha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So Olympic plates would be loose if mounted on a standard bar?
    But with the collars on would it be safe enough?

I should search for the adaptive sleeves you speak of. I've seen them around a couple of times I think.

Thanks

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by holbee View Post
    Short answer: no

longer answer: The oly weights have a 2.5 inch or so opening for the bar ends (to accomodate the rolling ends) while a standard weight has a 1 inch hole. So, they 'will' fit, but I wouldn't advise using it for anything as it would be extremely dangerous.
    There are adaptive sleeves that are made to slide over standard bars to make them accomodate olympic plates.
    Good answer and repped.

Originally Posted by King_Alpha View Post
    So Olympic plates would be loose if mounted on a standard bar?
    But with the collars on would it be safe enough?

I should search for the adaptive sleeves you speak of. I've seen them around a couple of times I think.

Thanks
    Why don't you list what you do have and get some suggestions on what you need.
    HuH?

Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Get an Oly bar. You don't want to be using oly plates on a standard bar.
    I'm not DrewDarden

Best Meet lifts: S:805 B:705 D:560 Total:2070 (220, equipped, drug free)
    Best Raw (gym lifts): S:540 B:380 D:515

Want to bench more? Click here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178958341
    ~ Molon Labe ~

My set-up

I'm in Australia, so prices are not like yours in USA.

There is a package, which includes:

Power rack with High + low pulley
    Wide grip bar + straight bar
    Flat bench
    Standard barbell
    2 x standard dumbbell handles
    Collars
    70kg (154lbs) of weight plates

All this for $AUD 675 + interstate postage (approximately $280) (yes expensive postage)

I'll upgrade the flat bench to flat/incline bench.

I was going to buy more standard plates, but then I found someone selling 150kg of Olympic weights for $300. And hence my question.

jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    heres what you can do, you know those sleeves that come on bikes to protect the handle bars or whatever? its just a circular strip of styrofoam, get two of those and slip them over the sleeves on the standard bar so olympic plates fit, also you could just buy an olympic bar.
    Bench: 185 lbs
    Squat: 285 lbs

Thanks for the help guys,

I've found the adaptive sleeves. So I'll get them as well.

Reps

Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Araj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I used to use oly plates on a standard bar all the time.

Theres no prob at all except if your doing cleans and things like that, but on bench, squat, military press and most other things they work fine.

It's best to use a small (2.5pnd or microplate) standard weight at the end where the collar is placed, as standard collars are tiny.

hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you sandwich an oly plate between two standard plates, and then put the collar on, it'll work perfectly. I've been doing that with farmer's walks recently.
    Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. - Conan