powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)

walking on the wrestling team, is it possible?

Hey fellas what's up? This is my first post here but anyways i was wondering what you guys thought of my "plan" to make the college wrestling team? I just graduated from high school im 18yrs old 5'9'' 240lbs, was 237 but gained 3 pounds over the last 2 weeks. Anyways i am a powerlifting champion and was hoping my powerlifting would help me make the college wrestling team. Basically im not going to college till next year and i am planning on going on a bulking phase over the winter months till about mid march early april. I use a westside barbell template for my training and recently have seen a HUGE increase in my lifts by using a "repeption" day also. Anyways i am going to enroll in a wrestling club next spring to begin wrestling training before i go to to college next fall and i am hoping that after the winter months i am a solid 260-265lbs, i don't neglect cardio either as i bike 10-12 miles a week as i feel it works my legs better then running while also saving my knees. So anyways what do you guys think my chances are if if i show up at 5'9'' 260-265lbs while having learned the "basics" of wrestlign during the spring at a club? IMO i think if i can reach that goal of 260-265lbs with basic knowledge of wrestling i would have to think with my power i woudl do OK, but i know there are some wrestlers on this board who post so PLEASE any thoughts would be greatly appreciated......any tips/advice i woudl welcome with open arms......thanks.........P.S. if i don't make the wrestlign team i havent ruled out going out for football as i had a chance to play D2 college ball but tuurned it down to focus on powerlifting and thats when i become interested i n wrestling...again thanks

Jockforlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jockforlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It depends on what college you are going to,if its a big school you have practically 0 chance as most big schools recruit top wrestlers in the top states like national champs and stuff like that. Your best bet is probably a local college, in high school wrestling strength is a big part and a little technique, but once you go up to college, no matter how strong you are you gotta have some good ass technique. I dont know you or know how athletic you are..but id say its worth a shot,who knows, you might be able to get good enough to start your junior/senior years, maybe even your sophmore year.
    DOB:August 8th,1990
    Height:5'8
    Weight:200
    Bench:305
    Squat: 350 (Its been a while)

"Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts." -Dan Gable

King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This all depends on a couple things.

First of all: what school? If you're trying to walk onto a top d-1 program then you have no chance unless you're just an amazing athlete to begin with who picks up really quickly. Smart money says you wouldn't make it... although I -think- Brock Lesnar walked onto the Minnesota (or was it Michigan? I get them confused) program and became an NCAA d-1 champ. But he moved like he was 160 pounds, that sucker was fast as hell.

If you're walking onto a d-3 program, you may have a chance. As a heavyweight, your strength is not going to necessarily set you apart from the rest of the wrestlers. A heavyweight's best asset IMO is his speed (if he has any). If you feel comfortable taking and finishing shots against other HUGE dudes, then you have a huge leg up on the competition. The fact that you could probably lift them with relative ease works to your advantage, and you need to focus on the technique that will put you in a position to do so.

Realistically speaking, you should stop worrying about bulking right now and instead develop some speed and balance. There's no use gaining mass if you can't manipulate it. Technique and conditioning beat strength hands down 99% of the time. You'll be amazed how powerless you are to stop your opponent if you are tired or do not have the know-how. I've wrestled against many stronger opponents (in highschool I competed at 130lbs @ 5'11" so I know how it is to be overpowered) and beaten them based soley on my technique and/or conditioning.

Second of all: join the wrestling club NOW. The best way to get better at wrestling is to wrestle. There is absolutely no reason to choose lifting over wrestling if you have no prior wrestling experience. You can practice for hours and hours every day in the wrestling room, but it still takes time to soak in. So get started ASAP. If you don't you'll definitely regret it. Maybe your HS will let you train with the team? Otherwise you can try and join an MMA club, maybe they'll have a few wrestlers there who can teach you a few things. Regardless, jiu-jitsu and other grappling arts will at least give you an IDEA of what wrestling is like (although the moves are completely different). It's a weak suggestion but whatever..

THE SHORT OF IT: Find a wrestling conditioning program and follow it. Start wrestling. Bulk if you want to... but make sure you can control your weight (as opposed to IT controlling YOU).

My 2cents

TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You have no chance of doing well with out a background, period. It takes a long time to learn and it isn't about strength, I go so far to say it isn't even a factor.
    What does it take to be number 1?

Jiu-jitsu, wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai

Because 2 is not a winner and 3 no one remembers!

powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) powerwrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wrestled my senior yr this yr in high school...i forgot to mention that and yeah the school i would be going to is D-1.....i looked into a couple of D-2 and D-3 schools to but i want to compete agaisnt the best even though it may not be possible or the wisest decision.....thanks for the replies fellas..im just really torn on what to do....

rage87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rage87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    D1 = State Champs
    State Champs = Wrestling for a long ass time

I don't mean to shatter your dreams, but, I didn't make it to states by 2 matches and I know I can't get into a D1 program for anything but a practice bitch.

You are going to need a lot more than common knowledge. Luckily, The 275 weight class isn't SUPER competitive and most of the best wrestlers in it have a small arsenal of moves that they use, so you have a much better chance than if you were 160 or 171.

I'd say you could make a local D2 college tops. And do not knock D3 wrestling, it's very f'in hard. Theres a couple D3 colleges that go to D1/D2/D3 mix tournaments and place pretty well.

Just work your ass off over these next few months. Join a club now. Get as many matches as you can because thats what it all comes down to, experience. The instinct you get from exerpience is invaluable.

King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TheZenMachine
    You have no chance of doing well with out a background, period. It takes a long time to learn and it isn't about strength, I go so far to say it isn't even a factor.
    I don't know. I mean, I agree 99%... but some people are just AMAZING at wrestling without having any experience.

I would have completely let him down if he were anything but a heavyweight, but even at the college level a lot of the heavyweights are really, really slow (unless you're at a school with a great program). I think strength becomes more of a factor at the heavyweight division than it does at the lower ones, because the heavyweights really have nothing to fall back on except their strength.

So man, go for it, but like these guys are saying, experience is key. So start making that experience right now. No d-1 coach is going to waste his time with the BASICS on a walk-on, so you have to have those skills down pat. If you're enough of a beast I think you have a shot at making the team. Making varsity? Maybe your senior year... it all really depends on what school you're going to. There are a lot of crappy d-1 programs that get housed by the better d-3 programs.

Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nights has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    D-1 basically means they have been wrestling since like 3rd grade. You will get your ass HANDED to you. Maybe if your freakishly strong you'll have a tiny shot to stay competive, but who knows.

no one here can tell you exactly what will happen, so just do it and find out.

wootydooty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wootydooty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wootydooty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wootydooty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wootydooty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wootydooty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wootydooty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not to sound like an ass but im willing to bet that you have no chance what so ever of making the team especially d1.

TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hands down, wrestling is 10% strength and 90% technique. you should forget the whole "bulking" "cutting" business and just get yourself into incredible cardiovascular shape and you need to start wrestling 5-6 days a week right now if you want to even have the slightest chance of making the team.

Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Delli165 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

its not easy no matter what level

Listen it will be very hard to walk on to any team.. i currently wrestle for one of the top ten d3 wrestling colleges in the country, and it is no joke. i was recruited by a couple big d1 schools and chose here... and it is not much easier. in highschool i was top 12 in the state at 182 my senior year.. 3 time district champ region finalist, highschool all american, all state and county champ.. and its not easy you will have to work very very hard to compete on a college level of any division. very few of the people posting on this thread know what they are talking about, but i do so listen.

ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Delli165 View Post
    Listen it will be very hard to walk on to any team.. i currently wrestle for one of the top ten d3 wrestling colleges in the country, and it is no joke. i was recruited by a couple big d1 schools and chose here... and it is not much easier. in highschool i was top 12 in the state at 182 my senior year.. 3 time district champ region finalist, highschool all american, all state and county champ.. and its not easy you will have to work very very hard to compete on a college level of any division. very few of the people posting on this thread know what they are talking about, but i do so listen.

8years later...

Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I only wrestled to be better at MMA but as someone who competed most of his life in combat sports I would give you this advice. Whether anyone thinks its good or not I don know it sounds like there are alot of experienced guys here but my 2 cents would be

Go out today after you are done reading this and find somewhere to train. Train hard every single day and focus not on attacking but on defending and countering. And get your stamina and speed through the roof. Again I don't know a ton about wresting but from my experience in combat sports if your not as good as someone else then you better be faster then them and you better be able to get them tired. Doing this you MAY be able to become a gym bitch for your first year an when you are gettin your ass kicked all over the place pay attention. The only way to get better is to train with people that are better then you and by getting in alot of mat time with people who are going to kick your ass. More realistically I would say take your freshmen year and train with a local high school team if you can or a local YMCA and hopefully you could make the team sophomore year

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    9 year old thread you guys, please check dates.

Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Errah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LegitSalsa View Post
    9 year old thread you guys, please check dates.
    Hopefully he responds with wether or not he made it then

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Errah View Post
    Hopefully he responds with wether or not he made it then
    I doubt he has been checking this thread regularly since 2005 . . .

PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100) PeporUrAnges is not very well liked. (-100)
    Wanna hear results. hardcore wrestler, been wrestling for 7 years now and only a freshman in Highschool.
    Originally Posted by powerwrestler View Post
    Hey fellas what's up? This is my first post here but anyways i was wondering what you guys thought of my "plan" to make the college wrestling team? I just graduated from high school im 18yrs old 5'9'' 240lbs, was 237 but gained 3 pounds over the last 2 weeks. Anyways i am a powerlifting champion and was hoping my powerlifting would help me make the college wrestling team. Basically im not going to college till next year and i am planning on going on a bulking phase over the winter months till about mid march early april. I use a westside barbell template for my training and recently have seen a HUGE increase in my lifts by using a "repeption" day also. Anyways i am going to enroll in a wrestling club next spring to begin wrestling training before i go to to college next fall and i am hoping that after the winter months i am a solid 260-265lbs, i don't neglect cardio either as i bike 10-12 miles a week as i feel it works my legs better then running while also saving my knees. So anyways what do you guys think my chances are if if i show up at 5'9'' 260-265lbs while having learned the "basics" of wrestlign during the spring at a club? IMO i think if i can reach that goal of 260-265lbs with basic knowledge of wrestling i would have to think with my power i woudl do OK, but i know there are some wrestlers on this board who post so PLEASE any thoughts would be greatly appreciated......any tips/advice i woudl welcome with open arms......thanks.........P.S. if i don't make the wrestlign team i havent ruled out going out for football as i had a chance to play D2 college ball but tuurned it down to focus on powerlifting and thats when i become interested i n wrestling...again thanks