IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Behind the neck barbell military press

Ok, I'm currently on a program right now, and it specifically demands that I do not military press behind the neck. I assume the reason being that it's a little bit more dangerous.

So I'm just here wondering if anyone who does this exercise behind the neck experience any major or even minor injuries yet. Thanks.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by IwantTMacsbody View Post
    So I'm just here wondering if anyone who does this exercise behind the neck experience any major or even minor injuries yet. Thanks.
    Some do, some don't.

Do the version that works better/safer for you.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quakebks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    for some wierd reason thats the only way ive ever done it. i prefer to do it behind the neck, but to answer your injury question, no i havent had any injuries.

IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IwantTMacsbody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The thing is, it works the traps and neck better, and that's what I'm after.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The thing is, it works the traps and neck better, and that's what I'm after.
    Great!

Then do it as long as it doesn't injure YOU.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do it on smith machine. i like it a lot better behind the head feels like im stretching the front delts as i work them.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    i used to and it did work better but now it hurts a little so I quit.
    Time To Re-Schedule

spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by willldabeast View Post
    I do it on smith machine. i like it a lot better behind the head feels like im stretching the front delts as i work them.
    Me too.

Great exercise.

oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50) oneeightyseven will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I read that smith machine wasn't as effective as using just a barbel, true?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    x2.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post
    I read that smith machine wasn't as effective as using just a barbel, true?
    I agree with that for exercises like barbell bench press, and the squat. But for stuff like shrugs and military press-type motions, like what is in discussion here, I think it's a nice alternative.

Plus behind the neck presses can be unsafe, and the Smith helps alleviate some of those fears, I think.

EDIT: It's not as effective in some movements because it doesn't require any stabilization.
    Last edited by spot_skater; 12-01-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do them seated and I like em.
    risk nothing, gain nothing

Gettin My Swole On microrahsheen's Avatar
    microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by spot_skater View Post
    I agree with that for exercises like barbell bench press, and the squat. But for stuff like shrugs and military press-type motions, like what is in discussion here, I think it's a nice alternative.

Plus behind the neck presses can be unsafe, and the Smith helps alleviate some of those fears, I think.

EDIT: It's not as effective in some movements because it doesn't require any stabilization.
    If you lift a barbell straight up over your head, you will notice that it actually will follow the curve of your spine and end up somewhat behind you.

The smith will not allow for this natural motion so it could possibly be bad for the shoulders. Depends on what range of motion you use, though. Shrugs have almost no range so using the smith works out pretty good.

l3astardd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not trying to scare you but i do know a guy who dislocated his shoulder doing it and he ended up having to quit working-out b/c it was a life-long injury. however, he did it on free weights so i guess a smith machine would reduce the risk

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ok, I'm currently on a program right now, and it specifically demands that I do not military press behind the neck. I assume the reason being that it's a little bit more dangerous.

Nope, if you are flexible enough you shouldn't have any problems.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5_bLjRPMHo
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pressing behind the neck makes my shoulders sore (not the deltoids, but the glenohumoral joint). Some people just seem to have a tough time tolerating them; I am one of them. I do all my overhead pressing standing and in front of my head (to my chest).
    No sir, I don't like it.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    do btn movements later in your workouts so you don't use as much weight.

2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ExtremistPullup View Post
    Nope, if you are flexible enough you shouldn't have any problems.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5_bLjRPMHo
    wow nice lift

$

"No fck that, I'm not gonna miss any reps. I'll die before i miss a rep." - dynamik, #1

MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At the end of a military press where the bar is over/behind you, you are actually locked out and there is very little tension on the muscle. I have read so many times, and in this months Ironman that behind the back is unsafe and ineffective. Dude said that high pulls are the best for working traps,and i have found that the end of an upright row or high pull does work my traps and middle delts best. Also for front delts i do high incline dummbell presses, i dont even do military presses anymore because i tend to cheat and rest when im locked out, plus my shoulders hurt sometimes from them.

dubano has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dubano has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    read the "7 minutes rotator cuff sulotion"

its says that there is no problem with the exercise, there is problem with the trainer

to do it right you need enought flexablilty to lift the barbel from your neck to the top without to crunch your body,

bottem line : lots and lots of bent arm pec strech !

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I can do it heavy (as low as 4RM) without pain or discomfort so long as I don't let it go too low (bar ~ear height and back up) and do it on the smith (with the bb I find it much more unsafe because of how the bar moves back and forth slightly instead of just straigth up and down).

MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleTroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dubano View Post
    read the "7 minutes rotator cuff sulotion"

its says that there is no problem with the exercise, there is problem with the trainer

to do it right you need enough flexiblilty to lift the barbell from your neck to the top without to crunch your body, <<<<<<???? wth?

bottm line : lots and lots of bent arm pec stretch !
    fixed! kinda lol

ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ruggybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been doing it seating and standing - behind, and in front, of the neck ... just mixing it up.

So it'd be:

BB standing, in front, 5 reps
    BB standing, behind, 5 reps
    DB seated, in front, 5 reps
    DB seated, behind, 5 reps

repeat above x 3
    Heavy enough at 70% of 1RM (BB) and 60% of 1RM (DB)

No problems so far.
    ... ...

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I like btn press, I do mine standing, I feel a slightly wider grip right at or a little beyond the power ring really hits both the side and rear delts, I never bought into the whole pressing only works the front delts and triceps thing.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tommytom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    don't go to absolute failure and don't ego lift and you got yourself one great and effective exercise there.
    No one, not your spotter, not your girlfriend, not even God, should be touching the bar while you're lifting it.