The Purple People Eater The Viking's Avatar
    The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Won't lifting heavy stuff strain your bones, joints, ligaments, and/or tendons?

Yes, no?

If yes, how can you strengthen them so your shins don't crack when you squat 800, your joints on your arm not fall apart when you curl 100, etc, etc? Or do muscles somehow play a part in keeping those mentioned above strong?

Thanks in advance.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Progressive overload, you don't start off squatting 800, you slowly build up over years.
    I don't know either lol

The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The Viking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yes, I know that applies to muscles especially. However, does that work for those other things? I have heard bones heal and become stronger like muscles, but I heard that tendons and ligaments don't. Any thoughts on this?

And second, how big a part does muscle strength/endurance/size play in keeping joints from gettin screwed up and bones from breaking? For example, if you have big and strong muscles, generally, it'll be harder for your bones to break, compared to some skinny kid, yeah?

Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rokk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes it works for the other things. Otherwise the big dudes could never squat 1000 pounds. You will occasionally hear of someone who got big too fast (sometimes chemically) and has tendon/ligament problems.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by The Viking
    Yes, I know that applies to muscles especially. However, does that work for those other things? I have heard bones heal and become stronger like muscles, but I heard that tendons and ligaments don't. Any thoughts on this?

And second, how big a part does muscle strength/endurance/size play in keeping joints from gettin screwed up and bones from breaking? For example, if you have big and strong muscles, generally, it'll be harder for your bones to break, compared to some skinny kid, yeah?
    Well, for the most part the tendons and ligaments are already stronger than the muscles. The achilles tendon has a tensile strength of 15,000 pounds. Stronger muscles are going to keep everything tight and in place, so it's harder to hurt yourself. Obviously a 90 lb women will have an easier chance breaking her ankle than a 300 lb linebacker. That's why form is important when you lift, if you don't keep the muscles tight then there's nothing stopping your tendons and ligaments from taking the strain.
    I don't know either lol

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Studies on older people that began weightlifting regimens versus a control group showed a statistically significant increase in bone density.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift
    Studies on older people that began weightlifting regimens versus a control group showed a statistically significant increase in bone density.
    Fact, that's why they recommend women lift heavy weights, as they are more susceptable to osteoperosis. Unfortunatly the pink DB's don't cut it.
    I don't know either lol

Thank you all, and keep the info coming. ^_^

Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    That's why form is important when you lift, if you don't keep the muscles tight then there's nothing stopping your tendons and ligaments from taking the strain.
    Umm, perhaps a dumb question, but wouldn't you want some strain and stress on your tendons/ligaments? Thus (like muscles), they'll heal and be stronger?

Since the tendons are connected to the muscle, they're still getting worked. The problem is that they receive very little blood flow, and therefore, less nutrients. That makes them slower to heal than the muscles.

Now If I came up to you and tried to twist your arm, and you flexed, it would be pretty hard to move it. Now if you relaxed and I twisted your arm, what would happen? You see even though the tendons and ligaments have a higher tensile strength, they need the muscles to hold the joints together and be stable.
    I don't know either lol

You're a tiger, ARRRRGH! GarethCheeseman's Avatar
    GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unfortunatly the pink DB's don't cut it.
    Well I'm boned

And no you do not want direct stress on tendons/ligaments, they don't respond to resistance training like muscles, you'll end up off the lifting for weeks or more if you seriously injure them, good form concentrating on the muscles along with being patient is all tendons/ligaments and bones need for growth, trying to actively encourage it is a bad bad idea

One of the benfits of starting high impact resistance training while you're still growing is how quickly you obtain bone mass, getting your kids playing hop scotch and doing pressups and wrestling with other kids is a good idea
    "Yeah, and I'm a Dutchman"

nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Ligaments & tendons

I tore my acl ( anterior cruciate ligament ) it's in the knee incase any1 doesn't know. It basicly hold the top of the leg thight to the bottom of the leg shin and stops them from slipping in and out on top of each other.

Then my ruptured ligament was fixed using my patellar tendon which is on and below the knee cap. Having strong muscles protects the tendons & ligaments.

My PT said that there are exercises/stretches that can be done which put some small pressure on the ligaments and tendons and helps them become thicker as more blood flows into them,
    but I think if you build up your muscles naturally then they will protect your ligaments and tendons.

The way they rupture is when they are subjected to so much force that the muscle fails to contract and then they take the force and boom your messed up.

Many people rip there acl from jumping from a height and landing on 1 leg, if the force is too much or your leg is tired the Quads and mainly the vmo won't fire and the acl with get shredded bigtime!!

Anyway any1 else hear with acl or any other ligament/tendon injury stories??

Thank you all very much, I think I have a pretty good understanding now; although feel free to continue discussing.

tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Fact, that's why they recommend women lift heavy weights, as they are more susceptable to osteoperosis. Unfortunatly the pink DB's don't cut it.
    hah, that's what i try to tell them all the time

i love making fun of my girlfriend and her jazzersizing (w/pink db) roommates, they're so funny, they actually compare themselves doing that on an off once or twice a week to me going to the gym lol

"omg i was sweating so much!"

to the threadstarter, the human body ADAPTS!!! that's what's so great about it. enjoy it while you have it lol
    2007 INBF Long Island Experience:
    1st Place Novice Lightweight & Overall
    Best Legs
    ----------------------

Disclaimer: The above can at best be considered an opinion or an offering of advice, and should be treated as such.

Consistency + Knowledge BodySculpting's Avatar
    BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by The Viking
    Yes, no?

If yes, how can you strengthen them so your shins don't crack when you squat 800, your joints on your arm not fall apart when you curl 100, etc, etc? Or do muscles somehow play a part in keeping those mentioned above strong?

Thanks in advance.
    My logic, which is an oxymoron to powerlifting:

This is where working with your weight comes into play. If you are looking for hypertrophy, then I think everyone will agree; 4 reps should be the minimum on any set for any exercise. Now let's say you are doing 110's in DB's for your chest for 4 reps max. Don't go ahead and increase the weight, you obviously need to WORK with that weight and get your reps up so your tendons/ligaments can catch up. Straining of ligaments and tendons is sometimes seen in AAS users because of the explosive strength gains. My point is: work with your weight, don't jump up to quick and you should be fine.

I say this is an oxymoron to powerlifting because they work with very low reps; sub 4.
    "The only way out of hell, is through it. "