Just1n1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just1n1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it possible to go down too far on full squats?

I've been doing full squats for a couple months now and it still doesnt feel right...like i feel like im going down too far or not staying tight enough on the bottom...any one have any suggestions for knowing when im down far enough?

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Just1n1985
    I've been doing full squats for a couple months now and it still doesnt feel right...like i feel like im going down too far or not staying tight enough on the bottom...any one have any suggestions for knowing when im down far enough?
    You'll hear the term ass to grass used quite a bit around here. Basically go as far down as you comfortably can, and then work on going lower. I don't know that you could go to far... without actually sitting on the floor. I feel like your question is probably more along the lines of stop when legs are parallel to the floor or not? I go below parallel, as far down as I possibly can, and this nets me the most results. Just lighten the weight and work on your balance and coordination.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    no, not really. what you could be describing could indicate a weakness in hamstring flexibility if anything. as long as it isn't hurting or anything along those lines, keep doing it and gradually progress forward (don't jump too much ahead just incase something is wrong, which i doubt)
    <->

Just1n1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just1n1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well im not having any flexibility issues i can pretty much just sit bottomed out completely...it just feels like it wouldnt be good for your back or somethin cuz when you go all the way down your back kinda straitens a little or somethin...i dont know i watched it in the mirror b4 it doesnt look right

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think anyone can squat ATG, but the problem is that their back may round. So thats what the dude means when he says to go as low as you can - go as low as you can while keeping a flat or arched back. When you watch yourself in the mirror (unweighted) you notice that after a certina depth your ass rotates under your body and your lower back rounds. That is too deep then.

I cant back squat ATG so i just dont do them. I can sort of get ATG with front squats, but not quite as well as id like. Try front squats, they allow you to get deeper
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=633909

zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by psychojoe
    I think anyone can squat ATG, but the problem is that their back may round. So thats what the dude means when he says to go as low as you can - go as low as you can while keeping a flat or arched back. When you watch yourself in the mirror (unweighted) you notice that after a certina depth your ass rotates under your body and your lower back rounds. That is too deep then.

I cant back squat ATG so i just dont do them. I can sort of get ATG with front squats, but not quite as well as id like. Try front squats, they allow you to get deeper
    If you can't ATG squats, then you're doing something wrong. Not trying to be rude, but you should really work on form with just the bar. Get good feet placement until you're comfortable going down all the way. Unless of course you're just doing parallel on purpose, that's up to you.