I have missed my chemistry class for four days, and I do not have a clue how to do these problems. Any help would be much appreciated and i'll rep you.
For each of the following pairs of elements
(Mg and K)
(F and Cl)
pick the atom with
a. more favorable (exothermic) electron affinity
b. higher ionization energy
c. larger size
2) Carbon absorbs energy at a wavelength of 150 nm. The total amount of energy emitted by a carbon sample is 1.98 X 10^5 J. Calculate the number of carbon atoms present in the sample, assuming that each atom emits one photon.
3) It takes 208.4 kG of energy to remove 1 mole of elections from an atom on the surface of rubidium metal. How much energy does it take to remove a single election from an atom on the surface of solid rubidium? What is the maximum wavelength of light capable of doing this?
4)An excited hydrogen atom emits light with a wavelength of 397.2 nm to reach the energy level for which n = 2. In which principal quantam level did the electron begin?
5) Element 106 has been named seaborgium, Sg. Write the expected electron configuration for element 106. What other element would be most like element 106 in its properties? Write the formula for a possible oxide and a possible oxyanation of element 106.
6) Complete and balance the following equations:
Cs (s) + H20 (l) -->
Na (s) + Cl2 (g) -->
Thread: chem help
11-29-2007, 12:19 PM #1
- Join Date: Jul 2007
- Location: New York, United States
- Age: 26
- Stats: 6'2", 185 lbs
- Posts: 192
- BodyPoints: 422
- Rep Power: 404
Last edited by therugdoctor; 11-29-2007 at 02:44 PM.