Thread: under hand grip

dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

under hand grip

has anybody ever did (or seen somone do) an under hand grip on flat bench bb? Seen if for the first time yesterday and it didn't look to safe to me....

do you guys do this?
    Post clever signature here.....

anybody with 50+ reps feel free to give me one....

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some to it as more of a triceps exercise. To awkward for me
    I don't know either lol

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dsoul27
    has anybody ever did (or seen somone do) an under hand grip on flat bench bb? Seen if for the first time yesterday and it didn't look to safe to me....

do you guys do this?
    It is called reverse bench press, and is for triceps.. It is a great tricep builder.. one of the best in my opinion...

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    Some to it as more of a triceps exercise. To awkward for me
    You have to experiment a little witht he width of your grip to find what is comfortable for you.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    it's called reverse-grip benching

uses more tricep and shoulder, less chest (becasue of way pec fibers run).
    <->

dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thanks guys

ok....so it's pretty popular huh? I just never seen it before, I don't think I'll try it anytime soon but I'll keep it in mind.
    Post clever signature here.....

anybody with 50+ reps feel free to give me one....

niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I sometimes finish my tricep work outs with underhand DB press. Great fun.
    http://www.myspace.com/nicholaseasey

Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What about reverse hammer grips?

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    it's called reverse-grip benching

uses more tricep and shoulder, less chest (becasue of way pec fibers run).
    Yes, less chest. We've discussed this before

In this case the underhand position helps to keep the elbows in. Try it. Assume an underhand grip position and then rotate your forearms to overhand grip. Feel your shoulders. Nothing moves up there. It's still shoulder flexion.

And since it helps keep your elbows in, horizontal adduction doesn't take place which would involve the chest, and it allows you to hit the tris from the "reverse pushdown" angle, only with more weight. It's always felt awkward to me but I don't doubt it'd be effective.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    how is it you managed to write a 3 paragraph response to something you havn't even tried?
    <->

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I definitely think its one of the best triceps builders out there. It does hit the shoulders a lot harder tho, so make sure you're shoulder workout is spaced out far enough from chest.

-Shruggin

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    how is it you managed to write a 3 paragraph response to something you havn't even tried?
    "It's always felt awkward to me but I don't doubt it'd be effective." That's called trying it, finding it awkward, and not doing it for long enough to know if it's any better than plain old vanilla flavored CGBP in terms of results. So what's the problem?

You just said something about pec fibers and I wanted to take the opportunity to remind you of elbow position with presses. Elbows in = minimal chest involvement. I know you'll add that to your book sooner or later.

Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    "It's always felt awkward to me but I don't doubt it'd be effective." That's called trying it, finding it awkward, and not doing it for long enough to know if it's any better than plain old vanilla flavored CGBP in terms of results. So what's the problem?

You just said something about pec fibers and I wanted to take the opportunity to remind you of elbow position with presses. Elbows in = minimal chest involvement. I know you'll add that to your book sooner or later.
    elbows in = less chset involvement, not minimal involvement
    <->

Question

Originally Posted by $AJ
    If that's the case, answer a question for me. Do you work your chest with front raises? Because "elbows in" bench is a front raise (flexion) with a triceps extension. Do you see the pec major (sternal head) listed as a synergist for front raises???

With all due respect, come on, after that elbows in/out thread, how can you not see this? It's right there.

The only movement that builds the chest in a pressing exercise is horizontal adduction. This can only take place with the elbows out to some degree.

Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50) Saviour will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    reverse grip = more front delts and triceps because it forces you to tuck your elbows in. in fact I could even consider reverse grip bench a front delt exercise.
    Self improvement is masturbation.

AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good if you want a barbell to fall on your head.
    :)

Originally Posted by $AJ
    Just as I thought... no answer

Anyway, I only care about results. And when it comes to chest involvement on presses, elbows in = minimal. Front raise + triceps extension. Sternal head of the pecs falls asleep. Excellent for triceps work but an absolutely lousy, pathetic, crappy chest builder.

AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieBloke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it still works the outer, top chest a bit.

Originally Posted by AussieBloke
    it still works the outer, top chest a bit.
    Clavicular head. You'd be happy with building up only that part for all your effort on bench? No thanks. Working this part is what makes an exercise a chest builder. "Elbows in" doesn't cut the mustard.

Btw, I'm not picking on AJ but I want him to once and for all confront this issue because he keeps dodging it. Face the music. Admit elbows-in bench is a lousy chest exercise.

yes it is a lousy chest exercise, but i dont think we are arguing that?

Originally Posted by AussieBloke
    yes it is a lousy chest exercise, but i dont think we are arguing that?
    AJ is. "not minimal involvement." This has been going on for a month, just disregard it

My point is, the under-hand grip for bench helps to keep the elbows tucked in for greater emphasis on the triceps. AJ advises people to bench this way all the time with a regular grip. I'm saying it's a triceps and shoulder workout this way, nothing else. Almost zero chest involvement.

aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The world record bench press from a few years back was done with a reverse grip. Somewhere in the mid-700s, I think.

Originally Posted by aiwass
    The world record bench press from a few years back was done with a reverse grip. Somewhere in the mid-700s, I think.
    yea, but it's not that anymore, hehe
    <->