Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blue_PSU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking O/T Funny Gym Etiquette Letter to Campus Newspaper

So in the Penn State Daily Collegian was the following letter to the Editor:

Letter to the Editor
    Gym etiquette needs improvement at PSU

I think most would agree that Penn State is a jock school. With this in mind, why is it that I can't walk into a gym without witnessing a constant array of weightroom etiquette transgressions?

The weightroom is a personal sort of place. People go there to focus on accomplishing individual gains. Nowhere in weightroom etiquette does it say that you need to let everybody know what you're doing. Yes, I'm talking to you Mr. Screamer. The occasional grunt or strained exhale is okay on those last few reps, but no one wants to hear you make it sound like you're giving birth over by the preacher bench.

To those who enjoy allowing dumbbells to crash to the floor after their last rep on flat bench, letting everybody know, "Hey, I'm done and these weights are really heavy": If you're not strong enough to let the weights down easy, you're not strong enough to use them.

C'mon Penn State; just be courteous. Make an effort to stay out of other people's way and we'll all have a much better time at the gym.

Stephen Bongiorno
    Class of 2005

So in response (hopefully it gets published I said the following):

After reading Stephen Bongiorno’s letter on gym etiquette, I reflected for a moment and had to smile. When I think of gym etiquette nothing in his letter comes to my mind. Gym etiquette is not taking up three machines at once, not leaving your body outline in sweat on the bench, and clearing your weights off the bar when you’re finished. Grunting is part of a gym atmosphere.

To quote Stephen, “People go there to focus on accomplishing individual gains.” Being excited for a lift will focus a lifter. I think someone squatting two and a half times his body weight warrants some grunting.

Once again to quote Stephen, “If you're not strong enough to let the weights down easy, you're not strong enough to use them.” I thought you were strong enough for the weights if you performed every rep with perfect form? I’m under the impression you’ve never done a heavy incline dumbbell press because you would realize after exhausting your chest it’s a long awkward way “place” the weights on the floor.

I just don’t understand how if you’re giving 100% on your lifts that you don’t grunt. Its kind of like saying “Hey, no sweating during cardio!”

__________________________________________________ ______

I just don't get it. I wanted to ridicule him more but that probably wouldn't get my point across. My gym in my hometown has no mirrors, barely any cardio machines, blasts hardcore/rock music, and it's bizzare not to hear a chorus of grunts.
    Think Big
    Eat Big
    Lift Big
    -----------
    "Eat to live, not live to eat"

pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    most gyms have rules against slamming/dropping the weights. I agree.

He also said "occasional grunts or strained exhales" are ok. I agree.
    It's like women's tennis - I don't see the need for grunting or screaming with every shot.

Maybe he didn't feel the need to discuss wiping sweat or putting weights away because those are not the problems. He addressed the problems he experiences.
    If your definition of gym etiquette is different, that does not mean he is wrong.

I agree with the first poster, it's common courtesy.
    Last edited by pharm; 09-15-2005 at 01:37 PM.

DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10) DamianL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I see no easy way of placing 120 lb dumbells on the ground after a set. It hurts if I don't more or less drop them.

cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I also go to psu.

If those are his biggest complaints about the people who use the White Building Gym, he must be a weird guy.

Also, the Daily Collegian sucks.

KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Blue_PSU
    To those who enjoy allowing dumbbells to crash to the floor after their last rep on flat bench, letting everybody know, "Hey, I'm done and these weights are really heavy": If you're not strong enough to let the weights down easy, you're not strong enough to use them.
    I call BS on this crap. When I can safely curl my 130's then I'll stop dropping them on the padded floor from the incredibly dangerous and irresponsible height of two feet. Sowwy if I huwt someone's widdle feewings becaws my weights aw so vewwy big.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

Strength/Condition Coach jdiritto's Avatar
    jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my colleges (shippensburg university of PA) has a very ****ty gym.
    it degraded about 200% since last year (i think it was flooded all summer, as the weights and bars are totally covered in a thick coat of rust).

its ****ing annoying cause they have about 1 of every DB set (if that for some weights) and noone puts them back. the same weight plates. noone cleans up a bar when their done. its ****ing annoying. you want 25 pd dbs, you gotta spend 5mins searching for them. i hate it. and I hate the ****s that throw the weight around and flex like their macho man (*even tho i occasionaly do it) but theres 2 kinds of throwers as Ill call it...
    1- the person who throws the weight down not because it was heavy, but because it was too heavyu and they couldn't handle it but they think they look big DLing 400+ so they want as much attention as possible
    and 2- the person who is strong and is just plain exhausted after completing their set. (which I feel I am - tho occasionaly we all pick the wrong weight and become #1)

I dont let it worry me, i rock my mp3 player so i dont hear **** when I lift...

but oh boy, the freshman at my school...their chumps... ive already had like 5 kids jump in a machine or bench i was using and just start working out...like im there friend..like i want to share with them. i ****ing flip out, even tho i nod and say yo im on that when their done..but inside, it burns me up...and if they l,inger around to keep workin out..i throw on like 75pdsmore than them just in spite...to rub it in their face how puny they truly are.

I enjoy working out over the summer when i pay for a gym..most ppl there are serious to lifting..at college you get them lameasses that lift once a month and just waste time in their and take up space...but its free, so I cant rant too much.

chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chlaxman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had a lifting partner have to get surgery for setting the 110 lbs dbs down slowly, it's too much stress on your shoulders.

If you're offended by a little "thump" then get the hell out of the gym and go powerwalk (I'm not saying that's easy or anything).
    Panthers/Tar Heels/Hurricanes/Durham Bulls

Agreed

Haha thought you guys would get a kick out of the letter. Here's the link if you want to send it to your weightlifting buddies:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...-letter-04.asp
    Think Big
    Eat Big
    Lift Big
    -----------

MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    are you guys kidding me? lower the weights down slowly? you dont lower the weights... you just kick up with them on any bench, its simple, just bring them to your chest and then sit up.. and yes i can do this with heavy weight... anyone can if they can bench it, and its even easier to do on incline. Dropping the weights leaves them all deformed eventually, so maybe you wanna pay for the new ones?

Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kledz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by cocoapi
    I also go to psu.

If those are his biggest complaints about the people who use the White Building Gym, he must be a weird guy.

Also, the Daily Collegian sucks.
    funny ****, give use the dirt!

cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cocoapi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Kledz
    funny ****, give use the dirt!
    Well, I've seen this happen more than one time. Two smaller guys, probably freshman, go to start benching. They'll start trash talking to each other about who is stronger and then one will make a bet that the other kid can't lift a certain amount of weight. It's usually like twice as much as the guy an get normally. And needless to say, the guy never gets it. I saw it happen where someone tried with 225 and his "friend" spotting. I was suprised when he actually got it off the starting position. He started going down and his arms must have just gave out because the bar went straight down and just thumped against his chest. His "friend" thought he was strong enough to spot him with one hand so that didn't even slow the bar down. And then he couldn't even help him get the bar off his chest. Two other guys had to help him out.

The only thing that really bothers me there though, is the lines. A line to get into the gym, and one you're in, a line to use the equiptment you want.

I like pants!!! █♣█ liquid_fire's Avatar
    liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes me dropping the 120 lbs of STEEL all of 1 1/2 feet onto a thick rubber floor is going to deform them.

Estrogen has no place in the gym, get the **** out sissy

Yeah it's a real b*tch that they only have 2 spots where you can deadlift or powerclean and then someones standing there curling or doing rows while 2 or 3 racks are open (it happened to me last time).
    Think Big
    Eat Big
    Lift Big
    -----------

Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cabe777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree, if you aren't strong enough to control the weights when you're done, use lighter weights. I've seen MANY 60+ lb dumbbells snap when some idiot drops it instead of controlling it down. I'm not sure how most people raise/lower the weights, but I doubt very much that the muscles used to bench press or incline press a dumbbell come into play when lowering the weight. And who the hell curls 130's??? Nobody I know, but I've used them plenty of times for bench, incline, military, and I've never dropped one intentionally!

I think for the most part, at least in my experience (many years working out in "large" gyms, 4 years working at one) the guys who are dropping the weights are the same ones who bounce the barbell off their chests during bench and slam on the pins during squats in a rack. Very annoying.

I really wouldn't care however, if the weights I wanted to use didn't end up with bent handles or broken and needing replacement.

Grunting/yelling... I guess, whatever. It apparently has legitimate benefits, but the guys I've seen/heard doing it aren't usually the ones who are doing the really heavy weights (I guess it's relative... if a 120lb guy yells during 225lb squats, how is that different than a 240lb guy yelling during 450lb squats?) I personally grunt on almost every rep. I don't think it's loud enough for anyone more than spotter's-distance away to hear, but it's there. It certainly isn't loud enough to get anyone's attention.

one thing for sure, and the reason I personally dislike both of these things, is that it IS a distraction in the gym. Distractions in the gym cause safety issues (it may not distract YOU, but it may distract the woman behind you carrying the 20lb bar back to the rack, and she may drop it on your foot etc...).

As far as how it affects me working out, I don't care what anyone else does in the gym as long as it doesn't effect me, just as I try to have the courtesy not to distract/annoy others.

edit: like MichaelBarham said above, using the kneekick is the most effective and easy way to control the weights into position, whether starting or finishing an exercise. This should be one of the things taught to everyone who walks into a gym.
    Last edited by Cabe777; 09-15-2005 at 04:49 PM.

I've never personally pressed anything heavier than the 100 lb dumbells and I can usually lower them slowly. However, I wouldn't want to try to lean up and lower down 130 lb dumbells so nobody complains.

I've only ever saw one dumbell come apart and that was because it was one of the kinds that are bolted together and the bolt was loose. The weight wasnt' deformed, it was just not tightened properly. Easily fixed. I don't think dropping the weights onto a thick rubber floor from about a foot makes that big of a difference and it doesn't annoy me either.

I don't really like when people are deadlifting heavy weight (over 315) and drop the bar from waist high lol, but only because it's so loud. I don't think it messes up the weights or the floor though.

Yeah it's a real b*tch that they only have 2 spots where you can deadlift or powerclean and then someones standing there curling or doing rows while 2 or 3 racks are open (it happened to me last time).
    I haven't lifted there this year, but I used to hate trying to wait to use any of the cable stations. Now I don't know if there is more this year, but for as many people that used them, there should have been a whole other station.

Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jdiritto
    I enjoy working out over the summer when i pay for a gym..most ppl there are serious to lifting..at college you get them lameasses that lift once a month and just waste time in their and take up space...but its free, so I cant rant too much.
    Hey, just pay for gym membership while your at school. My school gym was like that, I just go to a real one in the area. Its totally worth the 45 a month.
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer... and now college grad!

The iron bug didn't bite me, it crawled inside my head and layed eggs.

Angry

So my letter did get published and of course the collegian butchered it. Anything neutral they left out it was just pretty much the first paragraph and the one about the incline bench so it sounded like a personal sh*tting on Steve.
    The guys lifting weights, we're a tight knit community why would I want to sh*t on anybody. Meh, I hate the collegian
    Think Big
    Eat Big
    Lift Big
    -----------

KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000) KrushR is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dudely lubekin
    I agree, if you aren't strong enough to control the weights when you're done, use lighter weights.
    Yeah, we've heard that before. Try this:

BB bench:
    135x18
    185x6
    225x6
    285x6
    315x6

DB bench:
    85x8
    100x6
    110x6
    120x6
    130x6

Incline DB bench:
    90x6
    100x6
    110x6
    120x6
    130x6

You're telling me that you have no problem lowering 130 at this point after this many sets? Unless you're a monster, I doubt it. I try my best to lower them slowly, but with a padded floor, I DON'T NEED TO. It's not like I'm rolling them over someone's foot.
    I've seen MANY 60+ lb dumbbells snap when some idiot drops it instead of controlling it down.
    Useless without pics. I've been training for years and have never seen one snap.
    And who the hell curls 130's??? Nobody I know, but I've used them plenty of times for bench, incline, military, and I've never dropped one intentionally!
    Then you're just the freakin' man.

MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelBarham is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lower? what is this word lower? you just kick up with them.. decline db press is the only chest exercise that u cant get up with using this technique... you risk a greater chance of injury from just dropping the weight. Anyway you should always have a spotter ... i'm sure you do since your such a manly man.. i would post my workout like you but i bench the 40000lb dumbbells and dont want to embarrass you.

dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MichaelBarham
    are you guys kidding me? lower the weights down slowly? you dont lower the weights... you just kick up with them on any bench, its simple, just bring them to your chest and then sit up.. and yes i can do this with heavy weight... anyone can if they can bench it, and its even easier to do on incline. Dropping the weights leaves them all deformed eventually, so maybe you wanna pay for the new ones?

I agree. My weights at my gym are on their with allen screws. When they are dropped it knocks them loose, and sometimes they cannot be tightened by hand. It's really not that hard to kick yourself up.

As far as the screaming and grunting, it's ok to an extent. There is this one guy that just picks up the bar and is already making noise. WTF?
    Dito is like pussy. Either you love it or you're gay.

Turn around bright eyes

OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KrushR
    Y

DB bench:
    85x8
    100x6
    110x6
    120x6
    130x6

Incline DB bench:
    90x6
    100x6
    110x6
    120x6
    130x6
    This has nothing to do with anything, but those are some stange numbers.
    They are high, but just wondering why your DB bench and your DB incline are the same? Not to flame, it just seemed unusual to me.
    â™› â™›

American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    don't drop the ****ing dumbells you dumb****. if you can't handle the weight, use a lighter weight or get a spotter. dropping weights is annoying and a safety hazard. it's usually some idiot "intermediate" who thinks he's the ****.

****ing breath, don't hold your breath and moan like a bitch.

krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by liquid_fire
    Yes me dropping the 120 lbs of STEEL all of 1 1/2 feet onto a thick rubber floor is going to deform them.

Estrogen has no place in the gym, get the **** out sissy
    My gym has rubber-coated hex dumbells with heads that screw on or something, and one of the 70's and one of the 90's is broken because people have been dropping them too much.
    I used to be way fatter

pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pharm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by American Hunk
    don't drop the ****ing dumbells you dumb****. if you can't handle the weight, use a lighter weight or get a spotter. dropping weights is annoying and a safety hazard. it's usually some idiot "intermediate" who thinks he's the ****.

****ing breath, don't hold your breath and moan like a bitch.
    Thank you.

Originally Posted by OneBetter
    This has nothing to do with anything, but those are some stange numbers.
    They are high, but just wondering why your DB bench and your DB incline are the same? Not to flame, it just seemed unusual to me.
    It's b/c my gym only goes to 130. I'd go higher, but I can't get the duct tape to stick to the weights.

Some of the angst in the thread exists because of the term 'dropping'. When I say I drop my weights, I don't let them go at waist level or anything. I drop them maybe 8 inches (I know I said two feet earlier, but I checked this morning), and then I still grab them so they don't roll off anywhere. I have a problem with people that throw the weights so they roll around, hit the rack, run up on other people, etc. If someone saw what I do, I doubt they would call it dropping, it's just that they make a pretty deep thump when they hit the padded rubber.

The only two (maybe three) people that have said something to me about dropping my weights were holding 40's or so at the time, and had obviously never handled heavy weights in their life. If someone wants to complain to me, they can walk over and do sets with me; if they can set the weight down without any noise then I can.
    Last edited by KrushR; 09-17-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Meh, I hate the collegian
    HAHA, join the club. I don't understand how it's so bad. We're supposed to be a top University but I would think high school kids would do a better job putting a newspaper together.

I, however, don't think it's the writing that is bad because I know a girl that writes for the paper and she told me nothing ever ends up in the paper how she turns it in. They must have just really crappy editors or something.

American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by KrushR
    When I say I drop my weights, I don't let them go at waist level or anything. I drop them maybe 8 inches
    that's 8 inches too high. if you drop it on someone's foot or if it rolls away and injures someone, than you'll finally learn not to drop the weights.

Be courteous and a professional about lifting. "kick up" the dumbells to your chest and then to your quads and set them down lightly. If you can't do that, use lighter weights or get a spotter. there is no excuse for dropping weights at any height.

Originally Posted by American Hunk
    that's 8 inches too high. if you drop it on someone's foot or if it rolls away and injures someone, than you'll finally learn not to drop the weights.
    Read, read, read. I said I keep my hands on them so they don't roll away. Don't know about your gym in particular, but when I'm doing 100+ lbs and have a spotter behind me, people don't stand right on top of me. Unless some idiot doesn't see the 240 lb. gentleman on the bench pressing away for all he's worth, no one has their feet in a place that could get smashed.

Be courteous and a professional about lifting. "kick up" the dumbells to your chest and then to your quads and set them down lightly. If you can't do that, use lighter weights or get a spotter. there is no excuse for dropping weights at any height.
    wah, wah, wah.

So what's that spotter supposed to do when I'm flat on my back with a pair of heavy dbs on my chest? take one at a time and let me fall over the other way? I think you're being way too whiny about people dropping their weights from a reasonable height onto a padded floor. As I said in a previous post, I DON'T put up with people that throw the weights and let them roll around. On that we agree. Please take time to read my posts before you consider me to be discourteous and unprofessional.